Hi,

I'm looking to switch to Blackberry after being a longtime iOS/Android/WP7 user, with WP7 being my main device.

My two most used apps are Kik and WhatsApp, and both have a pretty big problem on WP7 with regards to notifications. I'd often get notifications late on WP7, due to how their notification system works (due to lack of true multitasking), and also with messages not loading in the app after getting a notification. I was just wondering if these issues were present on the Blackberry versions of these apps?

Preferably I'd like notifications to be instant, multitasking, and LED notification. Is this the case on BB?

Thanks!

-Diabhal
    05-14-12 09:24 AM
    i use whatsapp daily with groups and single contacts
    I find the push notifications instant, whatsapp updates their beta almost daily with improvements
    cjcou likes this.
    05-14-12 09:53 AM
    i use whatsapp daily with groups and single contacts
    I find the push notifications instant, whatsapp updates their beta almost daily with improvements
    Thanks, and how is the UI? From what I've seen it isn't the prettiest.
    05-14-12 09:55 AM
    I don't about kik but I've used WhatsUp and it seems very easy and responsive.

BTW, BB is giving away $77.00 in free apps for OS7 devices so that may be a nice little bonus if WhatsUp on BB meets your requirements.

If you don't know which BB you are looking for this video may help.

Although, I am sorry to say I left out the BB Curve 9360 because I did not think it was on par with the other OS7 devices only to learn latter that little guy rocks. But, if you are looking for the three main devices on OS7 you may find it helpful.

Welcome to the CrackBerry forums.
    cjcou likes this.
    05-14-12 10:01 AM
    I don't about kik but I've used WhatsUp and it seems very easy and responsive.

BTW, BB is giving away $77.00 in free apps for OS7 devices so that may be a nice little bonus if WhatsUp on BB meets your requirements.

If you don't know which BB you are looking for this video may help.

Although, I am sorry to say I left out the BB Curve 9360 because I did not think it was on par with the other OS7 devices only to learn latter that little guy rocks. But, if you are looking for the three main devices on OS7 you may find it helpful.

Welcome to the CrackBerry forums.
    Thanks for the input, sadly I'm not in the US to avail of the $77 of free apps. I'm looking at getting the 9900, think it's a good choice?
    05-14-12 10:20 AM
    Free WhatsApp Messenger - Download WhatsApp Messenger - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    there are some screenshots of the UI there
    and yes if you do not want to wait 3-5 months for BB10, the 9900 is a great choice
    cjcou likes this.
    05-14-12 10:32 AM
    Free WhatsApp Messenger - Download WhatsApp Messenger - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    there are some screenshots of the UI there
    and yes if you do not want to wait 3-5 months for BB10, the 9900 is a great choice
    I kind of have money burning a hole in my pocket, so I don't mind getting a handset now and upgrading later in the year. I'm also in need of a handset that can run Kik and WhatsApp without issues.
    05-14-12 11:04 AM
    I use Live Profile so I can't answer your question.

But wanted to say welcome to BlackBerry and CrackBerry!
    05-14-12 11:14 AM
    As you probably already know (google it if you don't), Kik does not have a "true" native BlackBerry application. What they have instead, is a Java app that, while it works on the BlackBerry platform, it has some annoyances that come with not being a true BB app.

You constantly have to give it permissions to use the internet, access your contact list, etc. The app cannot autostart (though you can use a 3rd party app to autostart it for you), and it cannot log you in automatically on device start. It cannot access your profiles or LED. In addition, it cannot access your notification area, so if you get a message, the app jumps to the foreground (some users may prefer this, but personally I'd rather just have a notification instead). If these aren't obstacles to you, Kik is an app that works well but didn't suit me because I reboot often and don't always remember to log back into Kik.

As for WhatsApp, I'm happy with it. The only feature I wish it had was the message Read flag. The double-checkmark for Delivered to device is the next best thing but isn't the same as a Read flag.

More of my non-BB friends like and use Kik (for Android) which does support Read flags but I can't use it practically, so I went with WhatsApp.
    05-14-12 11:47 AM
    Whatsapp is pretty good. My friend who's an android user was very impressed by the UI. At times, I do wish it would be more fluid though, but that's probably just my 9780 crapping out.
    05-14-12 07:09 PM
    whatsapp isnt the prettiest, but its easy to use and gets the job done.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-15-12 02:53 AM
    05-15-12 06:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD