For work reasons I may have to switch from Android to BB. Years ago I used BB so I'm pretty familiar with the OS. I have a list of apps I use regularly on Android, and I'm curious if there is a consensus as to whether BB has any comparable alternatives. I've Googled pretty extensively, but BB users generally seem dissatisfied with app options.

1) RSS Reader App that syncs with Google Reader. Is there a consensus acceptable option on BB? BB News and BerryReader seem to get mentioned most, but I see a lot of people that seem unhappy with them.

2) DC Metro App. The only one I could find has 0 reviews and hasn't been updated in years. Does a decent app exist that shows real-time train time updates for DC metro?

3) Weather. Is BeWeather the consensus best option? Does it allow you to place the equivalent of a "widget" on your desktop so you can see the weather without going into the app? If so, is this a major battery drainer?

4) Alarm.com. I know an app is available, but I can't see any reviews, so I don't know how well it works. Any comments?

5) Flight track w/ real-time updates. Are FlightTrack and Berry Travel the best options? I've seen complaints that they don't get updates very quickly.

6) Wifi music sync. I see this is built into Desktop Manager. Does it actually work pretty well?

7) Google Talk. Is there a good Google Talk client for BB? The one in the Appworld has bad reviews.

8) Visual voicemail (Google Voice). Is there a good way to get Visual Voicemail on BB? I would be using a BB Bold 9900 on AT&T. It's my understand that Google Voice functions pretty poorly on BB. Does the AT&T Visual Voicemail app work decently?

9) Google Authenticator. Does this actually work on BB? I can't find much info on it.

10) Barcode scanner. Are there any decent ones for BB that let you scan both QR codes and Barcodes on products that will then bring the product up on Amazon or the like for price comparison purposes? On Appworld, most seem to have bad reviews.

I guess I'll leave it at that. I would GREATLY appreciate feedback on whether decent Blackberry options exist for any and all of the above apps. And I would particularly love to hear not only if they function properly, but if they result in any particularly terrible battery drain.

Many thanks.
    06-20-12 09:53 AM
    1. For RSS, you can use blackberry news, or the standard built in social media app. Both allow you to input rss feeds. I am very happy with BB news, and use it everyday while im eating or on break to catchup and read a bit. You can update all feeds at once, update just the ones you want to read, or you can let it auto update.

3. beweather is great and yes it allows you to enable to wallpaper mode from the app itself. It will place the widget on your homescreen. I also use deToday which has space for the beweather widget and shows my calendar appointments on my wallpaper as well.

4. for alarm, the bb alarm is great since it works even when the phone is off, you can set it via your calendar, and its very reliable. I also use clock king because it allows me to set many daily alarms at whatever time I choose. Aka monday is 8am, tuesday 7am, wednesday 11am, etc.
    06-20-12 10:05 AM
    1. For RSS, you can use blackberry news, or the standard built in social media app. Both allow you to input rss feeds. I am very happy with BB news, and use it everyday while im eating or on break to catchup and read a bit. You can update all feeds at once, update just the ones you want to read, or you can let it auto update.

3. beweather is great and yes it allows you to enable to wallpaper mode from the app itself. It will place the widget on your homescreen. I also use deToday which has space for the beweather widget and shows my calendar appointments on my wallpaper as well.

4. for alarm, the bb alarm is great since it works even when the phone is off, you can set it via your calendar, and its very reliable. I also use clock king because it allows me to set many daily alarms at whatever time I choose. Aka monday is 8am, tuesday 7am, wednesday 11am, etc.
    06-20-12 10:05 AM
    Thanks for the input. Alarm.com is actually not an alarm clock, it's a security app that lets you remotely access your home security system, but thanks for your input on the alarm clock
    06-20-12 10:37 AM
    10 . Barcode scanner - theres an app called QR scanner pro. i use it. it works well.
    06-22-12 10:55 AM
    10 . Barcode scanner - theres an app called QR scanner pro. i use it. it works well.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Any other comments would be much appreciated!
    06-22-12 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD