Ok, here's the scoop. I'm running OS 5.0.0.419. I'm using the default theme. I've been running this OS for months. The phone has constantly been booting up with about 25+MB of available app memory.

My phone is set to reset every morning at 6am by Meterberry. Yesterday morning, according to the Meterberry logs, the phone booted up at 6:04 am and had 25.7MB of available app memory.

Yesterday during the day, I installed Bolt Browser, which is around 350k or so if I remember correctly. I also added a GoogleTalk contact to my IM+ Lite. I noticed that in the evening, the phone was sluggish and only had about 11MB of app memory available.

I decided to do a battery pull and amazingly, the phone only booted up with 13.1MB of available memory which is 12.6MB less than I had at 6am. I then decided to uninstall Bolt Browser and uninstalled IM+ Lite only to recover about 2MB of memory.

I have cleaned everything I can think of. I'm down to only about 12 or so emails on my device. I store everything I can on the SD card. Have tried many battery pulls and now I boot up around 15MB regardless of what I try. I can't figure out where 10+ MB of my memory vanished to.

I even connected the Storm to my computer so I could navigate through the internal memory looking for any large files or folders to no avail. I cannot figure out what is suddenly using up so much of my app memory.

I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the OS but wanted to check with the experts on here to see if you can suggest anything.

Has anyone seen this issue?
    06-15-10 10:55 AM
    You should try a security wipe first and see if that helps. Back up third party apps (BBSAK) and all data. go to options-security-security wipe. Check just the FIRST OPTION only and wipe the phone. Then put your data back on and see how much memory you have. I usually have to re-register some third party apps, but not a big deal. If you do this post back afterward and let us know if it did any good. usually does for me and not as time consuming as a full wipe.
    06-15-10 12:06 PM
    Does the security wipe first option just delete contacts and calendar? I use google sync so maybe I can try it at work and just resync.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 12:11 PM
    It basically wipes out all data expet your third party apps. When you add and remove apps and themes alot of times the whole file does not get deleted and can cause problems.

I dont know about google sync as I dont use it, but when you restore data after the wipe you should be OK.
    06-15-10 12:22 PM
    Ok. I'll wait until I get home and back everything up. I'll post here and update my results. Thanks for the help.

06-15-10 12:52 PM
    Ok, hope it does some good.
    06-15-10 12:55 PM
    Do you visit a lot of websites? Your "content store" may be high. Plug into desk manager. Go to back-up/restore. Go to advanced. Scroll down to content store. Clear it.

06-15-10 01:05 PM
    I do some web surfing but I didn't do any more than usual yesterday to account for over a 10mb memory loss. I'll take a look.

06-15-10 02:07 PM
    Update. After doing the wipe and restore, I now have 30.5MB available. Definitely made a believer out of me. Great tip.
    06-15-10 09:34 PM
    Good to know.

06-15-10 09:40 PM
    You should try a security wipe first and see if that helps. Back up third party apps (BBSAK) and all data. go to options-security-security wipe. Check just the FIRST OPTION only and wipe the phone. Then put your data back on and see how much memory you have. I usually have to re-register some third party apps, but not a big deal. If you do this post back afterward and let us know if it did any good. usually does for me and not as time consuming as a full wipe.
    What screen are you on when you choose OPTIONS? From the main screen in Desktop Manager Options does not reveal SECURITY to me.
    06-17-10 08:44 AM
    Security wipe is directly from the phone. Dont have it connected to PC...Back up data. Disconnect. on phone -options security security wipe. Only check first option. Reconnect and restore...
    06-17-10 08:58 AM
    HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went from 27.8mb to 50.3mb!!!!

But after restoring data from back up I'm down to 46.7mb And i haven't re-loaded my apps yet.

A million thank yous!!!!

Why is this not in the STICKIES....or is it?
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 06-17-10 at 09:48 AM.
    06-17-10 09:03 AM
    HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That seems like a lot. Let me know if goes back down some, which it might. But I wouldn't worry unless it keeps dropping. If the 50.3 holds I am impressed.....
    06-17-10 09:14 AM
    Awesome. This is a great tip. Should be a forum sticky for all Storm owners to see. This explains why I would always have so much more memory after wiping and reloading my OS. This is much easier, however.

06-17-10 09:18 AM
    OK. Now that I did this.................WTF is this S-Browser on my home screen? I am amazed the junk RIM sends us.

Turned out to be SKYPE.
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 06-17-10 at 10:24 AM.
    06-17-10 09:31 AM
    HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But after restoring data from back up I'm down to 46.7mb And i haven't re-loaded my apps yet.

A million thank yous!!!!

Why is this not in the STICKIES....or is it?
    Did you delete your apps? You dont need to on this kind of wipe. You may have to re-enter registration codes....
    06-17-10 09:55 AM
    STICKY THIS!!
    This is about the only tip on this site that actually did something to help my Storm!!
    06-17-10 09:56 AM
    Did you delete your apps? You dont need to on this kind of wipe. You may have to re-enter registration codes....
    I picked the first item and it deleted my apps. Not a big deal. I only use Quick Pull and play Battleship

OOPS I went back to look at that again... I picked the 2nd item .My bad. No big deal. All is fine.
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 06-17-10 at 10:23 AM.
    06-17-10 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD