Yeah, their software can NOT be trusted. It could happen again with future updates.
    07-11-10 01:44 AM
    Yeah, their software can NOT be trusted. It could happen again with future updates.
    I made the initial post immediately when I started incurring charges but on a general discussion forum where it would get high visibility. It was almost immediately moved to this backwater sub forum where it would get less visibility. Unfortunately several people incurred very large charges on their bills and weren't able to rectroactively change their plans to one that included tethering because they had gone past the end of the bill cycle before they noticed. I was able to retroactively change *my* plan and saved over $3000.

Tether advertises very heavily here and I wouldn't want to say "conspiracy theory", but the thought did cross my mind. When I first posted this, the mods greeted my concerns with skepticism (as I would in their shoes) and there has been very little follow up by Tether themselves.

Bottom line: if you buy an app that's meant to circumvent your carrier's tethering charges and you get charged don't complainn even if that's the stated purpose of the application. :-(

Over a hundred Bell Mobility (Canada) subscribers were affected by *Tether's* mistake.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 07:50 AM
    Thanks webmaster for posting your experience. If nothing else this serves as a good "heads up" and be careful this doesn't happen to you kind of warning. I for one appreciate your posting this thread and will be vigilant. I have not heard of any thing similar happening on my provider as yet. I use sparingly anyway and will continue to do so. Thanks tho.
    07-11-10 10:39 AM
    This is a dead issue.

There was an error on one single version of their program and it has now been fixed. People generally do not make the same mistake twice.

If you are using v1.1.0.7 or better of Tether then you should be good.
    07-11-10 10:49 AM
    I understand it's a dead issue, but non the less it is a good idea to keep an idea on one's data usage via their providers site which I have always done. I also appreciate the info as I was always under the impression that "tether" was guaranteed a safe app to use and undetectable. Apparently not in this instance and I believe that "never say never" is appropriate as a good rule of thumb for believing this will "never" happen again.
    That said I tried to see which version I have(bought 6/11/10)and I looked on my bb and laptop and don't see it listed. I feel I'm missing something easy and if it were a snake I'da been bit.LOL. Can someone direct me to the version number? Thanks
    07-11-10 11:00 AM
    I understand it's a dead issue, but non the less it is a good idea to keep an idea on one's data usage via their providers site which I have always done. I also appreciate the info as I was always under the impression that "tether" was guaranteed a safe app to use and undetectable. Apparently not in this instance and I believe that "never say never" is appropriate as a good rule of thumb for believing this will "never" happen again.
    That said I tried to see which version I have(bought 6/11/10)and I looked on my bb and laptop and don't see it listed. I feel I'm missing something easy and if it were a snake I'da been bit.LOL. Can someone direct me to the version number? Thanks
    You can look in your Advanced Options > Applications and it'll tell you there what version you have. Also, if you need an upgrade you can open tether (even if you aren't tethered) and click USB or Bluetooth and it'll prompt you if you're due for an upgrade.
    07-11-10 11:09 AM
    You can look in your Advanced Options > Applications and it'll tell you there what version you have. Also, if you need an upgrade you can open tether (even if you aren't tethered) and click USB or Bluetooth and it'll prompt you if you're due for an upgrade.
    Thanks. And I do have the latest v.

07-11-10 11:14 AM
    This is a dead issue.

There was an error on one single version of their program and it has now been fixed. People generally do not make the same mistake twice.

Says who? Certainly not the people who got charged literally thousands of dollars for data overage fees? To use your same logic, "people generally do not make the same mistake twice", I should go stand under a tree that has just the second before been hit by lightening and feel safe. In fact, I "should be good". Sorry, that is just not prudent.

I'm not going over the top here, by the way, as another poster has already contributed and attested... mine is a cautionary tale. It's up to users to be mindful of their data charges (caveat emptor) but it's also up to forums like this to be of service to their community especially given the reach of CB.

It's been barely a month since this mistake by Tether has cost their users. Carefully telling people to be mindful of their data charges without lapsing into paranoid hyperbole while doing so is a large purpose of a user community such as this.

/ES
    Last edited by webmaster; 07-11-10 at 09:08 PM.
    07-11-10 08:01 PM
    This is a dead issue.

A "money back guarantee" would restore customer confidence.
    But I'll bet you my Bell Mobility bill, that never happens. lol
    07-11-10 10:26 PM
    Blah, blah, blah.
    Unfortunately, out of about a hundred Tetherberry users who use a particular small provider, a few got screwed. It's a month ago, and the incredibly shrill title of this thread needs to be toned down.

I wish a mod would lock it so it would drop off the screen.

And I think they should also make "webmaster" change the misleading screen name, apparently chosen to make it look like he's a mod.
    07-11-10 11:41 PM
    Unfortunately, out of about a hundred Tetherberry users who use a particular small provider, a few got screwed. It's a month ago, and the incredibly shrill title of this thread needs to be toned down.

I wish a mod would lock it so it would drop off the screen.

And I think they should also make "webmaster" change the misleading screen name, apparently chosen to make it look like he's a mod.
    Sure, Bell Mobility is really small. 15 million users and multiple billion dollars of revenue and coast-to-coast coverage and the largest ISP and phone company in Canada. Yup, I guess it's small. You don't have to read my posts. I'm not on a crusade and you can find the ignore button, right?

Users with the name webmaster and only 100 posts are accorded legitimacy? Right! Don't make this personal.

/ES

07-12-10 12:18 PM
    Sure, Bell Mobility is really small. 15 million users and multiple billion dollars of revenue and coast-to-coast coverage and the largest ISP and phone company in Canada. Yup, I guess it's small. You don't have to read my posts. I'm not on a crusade and you can find the ignore button, right?

Users with the name webmaster and only 100 posts are accorded legitimacy? Right! Don't make this personal.

/ES

I believe you when you say you are not on a crusade although you sure started out that way - with good reason, imo.

Your point about 100 posts is well taken and it shows that a small number of posts like that is enough to identify a problem but not to find the true cause.

Had you contacted Tether prior to posting, then you could have posted the fix (use 1.1.0.7) as well as what you observed. THAT would have been a really good Thread.

I like Tether and I use it quite a bit. Once the explanation had been given - and I recall that I had to really pull it from Tether, the thread was really over.

I do not like closing threads, I feel that they are like today's newspaper headlines. They fade in a week or so but nonetheless form part of our history.
    07-12-10 12:25 PM

/ES

How many of those 15 million users have Blackberries AND use Tether, AND were using v1.1.0.6?

Probably not 15 million? Just sayin'.
    07-12-10 12:31 PM
    You are responsible for your data bill... Even if they have a way of circumventing data charges (which I gather a large number of people are using this to violate their carrier TOS agreement), it's on you, whether you think it should be or not.

Yeah you have the option not to use it, which means you can just not tether...
    07-12-10 01:19 PM
    How many of those 15 million users have Blackberries AND use Tether, AND were using v1.1.0.6?

Probably not 15 million? Just sayin'.
    You're right. Statistics can be abused and manipulated and I don't want to start doing so here. I'll stop contributing to this thread and find some medicine that will cure my too-thin skin. In the end it's worth repeating that it's not Tether's fault if people don't check their data usage and end up with big charges. People must take charge of their wireless bills, and if that means checking their usage online each and everytime they make a change to their service (like upgrading Tether) then so be it. I believe a lot of peoples' problems with wireless companies come from their inability to read or care about the small print. Such a belief can beat you hard in the ****.

Thanks for the reality check.

/ES
    07-12-10 01:22 PM
    I can't believe anyone would try to pass 500MB of data through Tether when they don't purchase the plan from their provider. Of course you drew attention to yourself.

Their is no way you used 500MB of data unless you were:
    Downloading movies/videos
    Downloading music/streaming
    07-23-10 10:25 PM
    Well I can't believe anyone would jump on a thread without reading the whole thing. You obviously haven't.

Mods? Could you please lock this thread. It's obviously run its course and its best before date. I'm the OP.

/ES

EDIT: Closed as requested! And rather than add a post and bump the thread I'm posting the info here. pk
    Last edited by pkcable; 07-24-10 at 05:25 PM. Reason: adding info
    07-24-10 06:31 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD