so my friend lost his phone (blackberry bold) yesterday and called at&t to suspend the line/disable the account. thinking that was the end of it and that he would have to just buy a new phone, he didnt give it another thought until tonight when he discovered that he didnt have any notifications on his facebook even though people had posted on his wall. this freaked him out because it would mean whoever picked up the phone/stole it was creeping on his information. is there any way u can disable facebook mobile/gmail mobile/emails from the internet? is changing the password enough? and is there any way to completely lock down the phone to make it completely useless so the creeper cant access any data (maybe from at&t's end)? he has his imei number/PIN
    Last edited by sam1025; 04-04-10 at 09:39 PM. Reason: additional questions
    04-04-10 09:37 PM
    Change the passwords for each.

The one glaring question is that Facebook (I think, never used it, never will)
    and Gmail require a password to log in. How would that person know those.
    04-04-10 10:06 PM
    Once the phone is reported stolen it won't be able to use data. Even if the phone has wifi most of the applications such as facebook won't work since it has to go through BlackBerry's network and the PIN will be disabled. He should also change any passwords with accounts he associated with his blackberry to be on the safe side.
    04-04-10 10:07 PM
    Once the phone is reported stolen it won't be able to use data. Even if the phone has wifi most of the applications such as facebook won't work since it has to go through BlackBerry's network and the PIN will be disabled. He should also change any passwords with accounts he associated with his blackberry to be on the safe side.
    US GSM carriers do NOT blacklist or disable phones, even if stolen.
    04-04-10 10:11 PM
    Also, I do believe you can edit application settings on FB. You should be able to disable FB for Blackberry.
    04-04-10 10:14 PM
    No keypad password lock? For the peace of mind, every smartphone user should have a keypad password in cases like these.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-10 03:49 AM
    sucks to hear! for future reference, and I urge everyone to be using SmrtGuard!
    04-05-10 06:01 AM
    I pretty much doubt that you can actually do this.
    04-05-10 06:12 AM
    It makes me so sad that kids today (and I'm not even that much older than them) use the word 'creeper' to describe people now. Why not just say Boogeyman and skip that transition?
    04-05-10 06:23 AM
    Security 101.....people if you have sensitive data on your device that you don't want creepers/boogeymen getting a hold of lock your device. I mean how hard is it punch in a couple of letter/numbers for access or leave it open to the whole world!!!
    04-05-10 06:28 AM
    it's no comfort to the OP but i'm sure i seen apps in app world that let you lock &/or wipe the device remotely.
    04-05-10 01:17 PM
    Keep in mind that SmrtGuard makes you have a blackberry.com or blackberry.net email address. If you don't have your BB via a business account, this is impossible, and the features don't appear to work. I am removing SmrtGuard from my phone after installing and setting up, only to find that the tracking, and everything else I tried, just didn't work because I didn't have a BB native email address.
    04-05-10 04:14 PM
    Keep in mind that SmrtGuard makes you have a blackberry.com or blackberry.net email address. If you don't have your BB via a business account, this is impossible, and the features don't appear to work. I am removing SmrtGuard from my phone after installing and setting up, only to find that the tracking, and everything else I tried, just didn't work because I didn't have a BB native email address.
    I don't think this is correct. The blackberry.com / .net address is a condition of
    having either a BIS or BES data plan. SmrtGaurd (and no other app) forces these.
    04-05-10 04:28 PM
    I use GMail on my SmrtGuard and it works just fine.
    04-05-10 06:43 PM
    This is why I have a password and buddyguard on my phone.
    04-05-10 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD