Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    The titles says it all. Its strange because I know they pulled the application from their website, I just got this e-mail today.

So I am guessing this means we could no longer use the application pay for our drinks. Hopefully they decide to develop for BlackBerry 10.

Does anyone know where we could put that idea to their attention.

08-16-12 08:00 PM
    I don't get this decision at all. It's one thing not to develop an app, but how hard is it to maintain it for BB7? All it does is generate a picture of a bar code and then update your balance - it's not Microsoft Office. Around me there are still plenty of people with BBs who work in offices and go to Starbucks every day - why alienate customers? I kept the app from my 9650 and transferred it over to my 9930, and to pull the plug on it is disappointing and just strange.
    08-16-12 08:29 PM
    08-16-12 08:41 PM
    BB share of internet traffic in US is now less than one percent.... wake up and smell the coffee guys (no pun intended).

oh, and blame RIM for that. They destroyed their brand appeal by shipping enterprise phones and half baked tablets in the hands of customers.... terrible business decisions.
    08-16-12 09:13 PM
    BB share of internet traffic in US is now less than one percent.... wake up and smell the coffee guys (no pun intended).

oh, and blame RIM for that. They destroyed their brand appeal by shipping enterprise phones and half baked tablets in the hands of customers.... terrible business decisions.
    I'm sure you're referring to BGR's article they ran today. I hope you know that the study was done specifically for BGR (one of the most RIM hating sites on the internet). That fact along with this Message to RIM: Fix the way Google Analytics reports BlackBerry browser data on new devices. You're helping the competition! | CrackBerry.com and you have a perfect scenario for a BGR loving article.

In other words, don't believe everything you read on BGR without a little common-sense research first...

EDIT: was just looking at the comments to that article and they really give that "study" even less credit.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 08-16-12 at 09:50 PM.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    08-16-12 09:46 PM
    Still doesn't make sense why they would discontinue the app. No good business reason, it's not like they're transitioning to newer tech or something... Idiots. Buy coffee elsewhere.
    08-16-12 10:29 PM
    OH NOESS! Now you guys can't pay for overpriced trendy caffeinated beverages! The horror!!

Note: this post has nothing to do with BB not 'needing' the mobile card app. Im not being fanboyish.....i believe starbucks itself is no needed .
    08-17-12 12:00 AM
    Another excellent reason to avoid Starbucks entirely! Now, I confess that I have successfully done this up until now because I detest their coffee but if I was a customer I'd be sure to remove my custom and to tell them why. Starbucks obviously doesn't care about its BB customer base ...
    Last edited by hpjrt; 08-17-12 at 08:41 AM.
    08-17-12 06:25 AM
    Sorry but I never supported Starbucks.

$7 for something that's 98% water. Boy they see those suckers coming
    tgyarslan likes this.
    08-17-12 06:40 AM
    Last week Starbucks announced that they will pivot to the "Pay with Square" system in their stores and I think they are going to put a great deal of their IT support there. Its a wonderful system you turn on before you walk in the store and don't have to do another thing. I see it eventually replacing things like these cards and apps.

Right now "Pay with Square" only support Android and iOS but one would hope that with BB10 and Alex's statement he has RIM engineers ready and willing to work with major Devs like this one - that it wouldn't be long before we would see a BB10 version.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-17-12 08:29 AM
    I don't get this decision at all. It's one thing not to develop an app, but how hard is it to maintain it for BB7? All it does is generate a picture of a bar code and then update your balance - it's not Microsoft Office. Around me there are still plenty of people with BBs who work in offices and go to Starbucks every day - why alienate customers? I kept the app from my 9650 and transferred it over to my 9930, and to pull the plug on it is disappointing and just strange.
    You know starbucks only feed Mac and iphone users anyway. Probably where 98% of Starbucks revenue come from.
    08-17-12 11:45 AM
    I think that the "internet traffic" argument is a bit suspect, since Blackberries generate a lot less Internet traffic due to push technology (which means devices don't have to poll) and data compression (like 5X). In other words, they show up badly in a particular metric in part because they are much more efficient in their use of the network!
    08-17-12 03:56 PM
    Starbucks stuck by their word. I loaded up the app yesterday and it is completely useless. If you try to refresh your balance or log in, you get "Network Unavailable"

What ticks me off is you can't even use the Store Locator function. Why couldn't they keep this part still functioning so that I could find a store in a strange area to give them business? All it is doing is querying the same database that starbucks.com uses.
    08-30-12 09:46 AM
    Luckily you can still use it to pay. You just can't do anything else with it which pisses me off
    08-30-12 11:47 PM
    Luckily you can still use it to pay. You just can't do anything else with it which pisses me off
    Wonder why that still works? They must be leaving their options open for when BB10 takes off.
    08-31-12 06:54 PM
    well it won't work if/when you get a new phone to install because you can't log into your acct either. Since I already had my starbucks card added on there and in use it still lets you hit the pay option. Now when I need to reload my card I have to go to the website itself and also go there to see how much money i have on the acct.
    08-31-12 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD