07-31-08 10:13 PM
34 12
tools
    Hello everyone!

At Concrete Software we are just finishing up a BlackBerry solitaire game. Since solitaire is such a popular game, just wondering if anyone has any strong opinions on what they think should be in a great solitaire game? Or things you think shouldn't be in a great solitaire game??
    11-24-07 11:31 PM
    I don't have much input except to say I look forward to seeing
    what you create.
    11-25-07 10:57 PM
    One thing I noticed in the (free) game I downloaded is that when I'm in the game my convenience key doesn't work. That would be nice to have working, in case I want to use that key while I'm playing solitaire.
    11-25-07 11:10 PM
    Good point, I'll definitely pass that on to check on the convenience key!
    11-26-07 09:15 AM
    I have yet to find a nice basic solitaire game so I'll look forward to that. As long as it's fairly simple to navigate that'll work for me.
    11-26-07 09:21 AM
    I do not see a link to try or buy it on your web site. Has it been released?

Bob
    Last edited by itjunkie; 12-01-07 at 03:14 PM.
    12-01-07 03:11 PM
    solitaire is sweet. so is spider solitaire too. look forward to what you have coming out there.
    12-01-07 03:48 PM
    The game hasn't been released yet, looks like the official release should be Tuesday the 4th of December!

The game will be a pack of solitaire games, so it will definitely include Spider, Free Cell, etc.
    12-01-07 07:27 PM
    Sounds great I will be looking forward to it when it becomes available.
    12-01-07 09:54 PM
    The game hasn't been released yet, looks like the official release should be Tuesday the 4th of December!

The game will be a pack of solitaire games, so it will definitely include Spider, Free Cell, etc.
    Is it going to include Pyramid (the one where you have to discard cards that add up to 13)?

Also, what is it going to cost?
    12-02-07 01:14 AM
    Yes, the pack will include Pyramid as well. I believe the price is $14.99.
    12-02-07 10:11 AM
    Yes, the pack will include Pyramid as well. I believe the price is $14.99.
    That's great that you'll be including Pyramid ... that's one of my favorite solitaire games.

That having been said, since you're here looking for advice, I see no reason why I shouldn't express my honest opinion that $14.99 is a bit too high for a solitaire game on a mobile device (at least for me). I doubt I'll purchase at that price.

For example, since you're making a solitaire pack that includes multiple games, I'd say your biggest competitor is Solitaire Buddy Gold:

Blackberry Games - Nickel Buddy Studios

That product contains 13 different solitaire games, including all the ones you mentioned. It costs $9.99. I really think that's a more appropriate price for a solitaire pack. Of course, that's only my opinion. I'm sure plenty of people will buy your game at $14.99 if that's the price you stick with.

Finally, since you asked for advice as to what we'd like to see in a solitaire game, the two main things I hope are included in your product are undo/redo and statistics. Most solitaire games I've seen for the BB do not keep statistics. Personally, I like knowing how many times I've been able to win the various solitaire games.

I'm looking forward to seeing your game on Tuesday.
    12-02-07 11:51 AM
    Fantastic feedback, we really appreciate the input.

The idea of Aces Solitaire was to take extra time and really make a high end solitaire. Hopefully that's what we've done, I'll really be interested to hear people's feedback as well once it is released!

It will contain undo/redo, I also checked the stats, here is what we have right now:

Statistics:
    Current Game Stats
    The Session's Stats
    Overall Stats
    Stats by Game Type

I'm pretty sure these are set right now (since it's being released in a couple of days!).

Thanks again for the great input!
    12-02-07 09:23 PM
    We launched Aces Solitaire late last night, thank you everyone for all the great feedback and input! If anyone has any more feedback - good, bad, or anything we would still love to hear it! Either post it here or you can always send us an email at feedback@concretesoftware.com.

There is a demo link on the Concrete Software site and of course you can purchase it as well. I setup a promotion code "Crackberry25" for 25% off all our software for this forum (enter it once you get to the shopping cart)!

Thanks again!

Concrete Software

12-05-07 01:52 PM
    We launched Aces Solitaire late last night, thank you everyone for all the great feedback and input! If anyone has any more feedback - good, bad, or anything we would still love to hear it! Either post it here or you can always send us an email at feedback@concretesoftware.com.

There is a demo link on the Concrete Software site and of course you can purchase it as well. I setup a promotion code "Crackberry25" for 25% off all our software for this forum (enter it once you get to the shopping cart)!

Thanks again!

Concrete Software

I can't seem to find any information on your website about upgrades. Once purchased, do you provide free lifetime upgrades, or only upgrades of minor versions between 1.0 and 2.0?
    12-05-07 01:58 PM
    Good question, we should make that information easier to find.

Our policy is free upgrades for bug fixes and minor releases and possibly a paid upgrade for a major release. A major release would have to be pretty big like adding multiplayer solitaire or something like that, not something like adding new games to the pack. I can't imagine adding a paid upgrade to the solitaire game, it seems in most cases that would punish the people who bought it early on.
    12-05-07 02:10 PM
    Good question, we should make that information easier to find.

Our policy is free upgrades for bug fixes and minor releases and possibly a paid upgrade for a major release. A major release would have to be pretty big like adding multiplayer solitaire or something like that, not something like adding new games to the pack. I can't imagine adding a paid upgrade to the solitaire game, it seems in most cases that would punish the people who bought it early on.
    Thanks.

I just purchased it. $11.24 with the above-stated upgrade policy is very reasonable. Without an OTA download, though, I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to install it.
    12-05-07 02:51 PM
    I really hope you enjoy the game! If you have any problems at all send an email to support@concretesoftware.com and they will help out right away!
    12-05-07 03:33 PM
    Hey

I am thinking of buying your software but had a few questions if I might ask. I have tried your demo and personally I prefer your graphics over Solitaire Buddy Gold (which i own). Can the background be set to not change, also can the game play be set where the user has all control. Some plays are automatically done for you. I think that is a good feature but I personally like making my own moves. I know that is probably unusual but it makes me really look at what I am doing. One thing I did not like about the game was some of the sounds. I turned sounds off, no offense meant. If it just had the card sound (card being dealt) that would be ok. All in all I really liked your game. Thanks.
    12-16-07 02:22 PM
    Yes, the background has a ton of options, from the main menu if you choose "Background" you can choose one background or rotating backgrounds. You can also darken the background with the bottom option, this helps the cards pop off the page. If you really don't want a fancy background image, choose the single background, then go to the bottom and you can choose any color you want.

You can also turn off the auto movements. There are a few different levels of auto moves, "Smart Auto Moves" does a little analysis to see if cards should be moved or not. "Auto Moves" moves the obvious cards. "Auto Remove From Talon" moves cards from the Talon pile automatically. If you make sure all these are off, you should be set!

That is great feedback on the sounds, I put that in as a requested feature to have the option to just have card sounds or full game sounds.

Glad you enjoy the game!
    12-17-07 11:32 AM
    I did go ahead and buy the game after trying trials on about 4 other Solitaire games . Solitaire Buddy Gold comes in after your version of Solitaire (in my humble opinion). I really like the graphics on Aces Solitaire. You can see the cards and you have where you can make the moves using the keypad instead of the trackball and that is a big plus for me and you can fix how you want your layout to look.

Thank you for listening to my suggestions about the sounds. The card sound would really be great. If I might make one other suggestion. On some other versions of Solitiare there is a little gloved hand that moves over the cards, instead of the card outline being highlighted to show where you are at. That would be an awesome addition to your game. The card sound and the little gloved hand would really put it over the top (in my humble opinion ). I have really been enjoying the game. Now if I could only win , but that is operator error . Thank you for the game, listening to me and for your time.

P.S. I also got Uno Classic 2007 at the same time and love it also.
    Last edited by shadow63; 12-17-07 at 06:23 PM.
    12-17-07 06:19 PM
    Glad you are enjoying Aces Solitaire and UNO Classic 2007!

Another great suggestion, I've had the gloved hand moving the cards added to the suggested features list for Aces Solitaire as well.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!
    12-18-07 09:52 AM
    any chance you'll implement OTA downloads? at least for the demos?
    12-18-07 12:54 PM
    Yes! we do have OTA versions. I checked out the checkout process and it seems that it always gives you the exe install (purchasing from Concrete Software). If you do purchase it this way and want to install via OTA, for now let support@concretesoftware.com know after you purchased and they will set you up (sorry we don't have a better process yet!).

I uploaded the demo files, hopefully this will work for you. It's a little long to type out, but if you send it to yourself in an email, you can just click on it!

http://www.concretesoftware.com/ota/...demo_1.0.3.jad
    12-18-07 01:41 PM
    Actually, a better solution is our wap site!

Concrete Software Mobile

You should be able to get both the full and demo version from there!
    12-18-07 01:47 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD