My job is switching from Windows Mobile Smartphones to 8830's. I'm looking for some simple software that I can use to remotely start and stop services, reboot the servers and other troubleshooting tasks as well as telnet capabilities into a couple of servers I'm responsible for. Is there software like that for the BB? I'm not really looking for realtime desktop features like the Mobile Desktop. Something a little less fancy to do the basics to keep the servers running. This is my first visit here. TIA.

Steve
    05-04-08 08:04 PM
    We personally use Mobile Admin from rove mobile (can't post url it seems, not enough post on this board) and I'm pretty satisfied with it (although I have not tried any other).

I can manage my server, SQL server, BB Server, IIS server, file server, add user, groups, unlock accounts.... the list goes on...
    05-05-08 01:37 PM
    05-05-08 01:53 PM
    We personally use Mobile Admin from rove mobile (can't post url it seems, not enough post on this board) and I'm pretty satisfied with it (although I have not tried any other).

I can manage my server, SQL server, BB Server, IIS server, file server, add user, groups, unlock accounts.... the list goes on...
    Thanks for your reply. With Mobile Admin, is there a way to instantly (or quickly) go to Services on a server and just see the services and their current state? Also, can you telnet with Mobile Admin.

I see people mention SSH, but to be honest with you, I don't know what that is. All I really need is Services control, reboot control and telnet. Will Mobile Admin do these 3 things? Thanks.

Edit: Wow, $495 for Mobile Admin!! That is way too much for the few things I need to be able to do. Does anyone know if Mobile Desktop is basically like a BB version of VNC or can you go directly to admin tools or services without having to navigate to them on your tiny BB screen?

Steve
    Last edited by sdl2; 05-05-08 at 05:43 PM.
    05-05-08 05:38 PM
    05-05-08 05:48 PM
    So this is kind of like a vpn replacement for devices that can't run standard VPN software? Which leads me into another question. Is there VPN software for the BB? As you can tell, I'm really new to this. I have always used EV-DO laptops and pcAnywhere to do all my remote support. Thanks.

Steve
    05-05-08 06:30 PM
    Thanks for your reply. With Mobile Admin, is there a way to instantly (or quickly) go to Services on a server and just see the services and their current state?
    Yes, Mobile Admin was designed to very quickly allow you to view, start, stop and restart Services.

All I really need is Services control, reboot control and telnet. Will Mobile Admin do these 3 things? Thanks.
    Mobile Admin will allow you to control services and reboot servers, it does not support telnet, but our Mobile SSH product will allow you to do telnet.

Wow, $495 for Mobile Admin!! That is way too much for the few things I need to be able to do. Does anyone know if Mobile Desktop is basically like a BB version of VNC or can you go directly to admin tools or services without having to navigate to them on your tiny BB screen? .
    Mobile Admin is around the same as the full retail cost of a BlackBerry, and allows you to manage every single server on your network... it is geared towards the enterprise network administrator, but even our smaller customers consider the ROI on Mobile Admin to be very quick, as using it just a few times can save you a lot of time and frustration. Our Mobile Desktop product can also achieve some of the same tasks at a much cheaper price.

Mobile Desktop displays the screen of your server on your BlackBerry and lets you control the mouse and keyboard, while Mobile Admin was designed to be a faster and simpler interface (navigation menus are in your BB screen vs. viewing your Desktop screen and navigating from it). Mobile Desktop is a VNC and Remote Desktop client and will allow you to perform everything you�re looking but at a much more affordable price of $95.

So this is kind of like a vpn replacement for devices that can't run standard VPN software? Which leads me into another question. Is there VPN software for the BB? As you can tell, I'm really new to this. I have always used EV-DO laptops and pcAnywhere to do all my remote support. Thanks.
    Is your BlackBerry device connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)? The BES essentially acts like a VPN server, creating a secure connection between your BlackBerry device and your private network.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact [email protected] (or the Toll Free number is 1-888-482-3646, press 2) for any other Q�s about our products. They�d be happy to help you with your questions.

Cheers!
    05-06-08 10:32 AM
    stace,

Thank you for all the useful information. I was just talking to a Sprint Solutions Consultant and he advised that your software was well liked by his colleagues.

I will look into it further. Once the 8830's arrive, I guess I can test your products and see which fits my needs best. Thanks again.

Steve
    05-06-08 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD