Is there a software app that provides the ability to scan a barcode for an item, which then provides price comparrisons on different stores? My carrier directed me here for the answer. Thanks
    01-03-09 10:18 AM
    well since your phone doesnt have a scanner on it, im going to say no
    01-03-09 11:41 AM
    Haven't heard of such an app, but I think it could be done much like some cell phones can "read" a business card and separate the name, phone number, address, etc. This is all done from just taking a picture of the card.

Maybe an app that can translate the barcode, from a picture, on a product and search the internet and major retailers for the product and price.

There is an add-on laser barcode reader available for the BB, but its uses are mostly for retailers, warehouses, etc.
    01-03-09 12:03 PM
    i'm trying to determine if there is a software app i can download that will scan grocery items & then give me the price of multiple stores in my area. If so, does anyone know the name of the software app & the place that I can get it?

Once i'm able to determine the above info, I plan to purchase a phone that is compatible with that specific software.
    01-03-09 12:19 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

That is a very interesting application idea. If such a product does not exist, you have clearly defined a need for the software.

Camera-Based Readers
    2D imaging scanners are the fourth and newest type of bar code reader currently available. They use a small video camera to capture an image of a bar code. The reader then uses sophisticated digital image processing techniques to decode the bar code. ...
    The camera should function for input, reading a bar code is not rocket science, a bit of simple data handling and sorting...

Might be a little tougher then I though. Semacode is working on a camera based decoder, but it is no where near bar code quality.

Semacode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-03-09 at 12:44 PM.
    01-03-09 12:25 PM
    There is an App that can do that my friend has it on his Android phone with Tmobile. You just take the picture and program scans the picture and gives a list stores and there prices. i think it is only for the android phone but would be cool if we can get it.
    01-03-09 12:43 PM
    Hey, I just saw it posted yesterday at BBGeeks and it's called, Neoreader. I would post the link but I'me not sure I am allowed. Try it out. It apparently can be downloaded for FREE on a BLACKBERRY!

NeoReader: Home
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-03-09 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Link enabled
    01-03-09 03:03 PM
    iPhone has had this for a year now with some of their apps. It's a nice feature if you're out shopping. I used it all the time when at BestBuy etc etc to see just how much more I'd have to pay over online.

Mario
    01-03-09 03:23 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on NeoReader.

Universal means that the NeoReader scans all the standard code types (Data Matrix, QR codes, Aztec Codes, EAN, UPC, and Code 128) ...
    I have the reader installed, going to try it from the screen and a printer.

Wow, it works. Set the image size to small, take a picture and let it do some figgering.... correct URL is fed to the Browser.

However, the free application has not recognized UPC-A, the standard bar code on packaged good. I tried it several times, including some clear zoomed images. Perhaps a matter of lighting or technique, I will continue testing.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-03-09 at 04:57 PM.
    01-03-09 04:22 PM
    Thanks for the post. I would love to hear how it works for those that are trying it out. It will be a lot easier for me to justify the expense of a new phone, if I get a cool money saving gadget to go with it!
    01-03-09 04:30 PM
    Once you have read the barcode or the Semacode you have a string of letters and numbers that mean basically nothing. You now need a HUGE database of products, prices, dates, manufacturers and loads of other data fields.

Unless you have access to the product data from all the different stores and these are kept up to date better than hourly you are never going to get to make a maningful price comparison. Are they going to give you that? - dream on.
    01-03-09 04:32 PM
    Once you have read the barcode or the Semacode you have a string of letters and numbers that mean basically nothing. You now need a HUGE database of products, prices, dates, manufacturers and loads of other data fields.

Unless you have access to the product data from all the different stores and these are kept up to date better than hourly you are never going to get to make a maningful price comparison. Are they going to give you that? - dream on.
    The G1 on T-Mobile does have this kind of ability so why shouldn't blackberries?

You don't need the database you are suggesting either, just the ability to get the product name and then use web searches to find alternate pricing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 04:53 PM
    I want this!
    01-03-09 08:25 PM
    I'm not getting successful lookups. The numbers are good and if I key them to the app manually, results come up fine but in about 40 attempts, not one bar code successfully converted a scanned image to a string or numeric value. Can anyone share any tips? (I'm using smallest image size, per application suggestion, orientation, white balance, or position of code in viewfinder for successful scans might be very useful.)

Then I scanned the attached image. Reed, that is an incredibly clever ad placement. Rock on.
    Last edited by neocaster; 03-14-09 at 11:06 AM. Reason: **added successful scan report**
    03-14-09 11:02 AM
    Has anyone had a standard UPC code work, either via scan or manually entered? I cannot get a UPC to translate, and when I enter them manually, they all come back with no product match.
    03-14-09 02:44 PM
    You should check out Pongr, a friend of a friend started it up, take a pic with your cell and send it via text or email. You receive a message with a list of prices.

03-14-09 02:49 PM
    You should check out Pongr, a friend of a friend started it up, take a pic with your cell and send it via text or email. You receive a message with a list of prices.

Hmmm, I must check that out and see if it is practical.
    03-14-09 03:14 PM

Then I scanned the attached image. Reed, that is an incredibly clever ad placement. Rock on.
    I couldn't resist ....
    03-14-09 03:18 PM
    I'm having as little luck with Pongr as I am with neoReader. I like Pongr's interface a little better because I can pick an image off the card to scan or I can take a new image from the cam. In over 60 scan attempts, I've had one success with neoReader. Reed's code in this thread sent me to his website. I know it works, I just have to play with it to find out how it works best. I think the blur factor may have something to do with it. No manual shutter speed and no macro setting, blur is an issue. I'll test in better light and hope blackberry adds a macro image feature in 5.0.0.000.
    Last edited by neocaster; 03-14-09 at 03:21 PM.
    03-14-09 03:18 PM
    ...Reed's code in this thread sent me to his website.
    Not a secret, it is also in my public profile.
    03-14-09 03:21 PM
    I think the blur factor may have something to do with it. No manual shutter speed and no macro setting, blur is an issue. I'll test in better light and hope blackberry adds a macro image feature in 5.0.0.000.
    Try zooming. It allows you to be a little further away while maintaining image size. Helps with the blur considerably. I used 3x on my 8130 with good results.
    03-14-09 04:21 PM
    Pongr definitely has potential, but it found nothing, not even when I entered the UPC. Not ready for prime time.
    03-14-09 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD