I downloaded the SocialScope alpha today and I'm very impressed with it. It's better than the official Facebook app and better than any Twitter app currently available.

However, I'm concerned about security. You need to enter your Facebook credentials in order for this app to function, so the people at SS now have full access to my Facebook.

There's not much on my Facebook at all, but I know identity theft is big business these days.

What are your thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by WJF84; 08-02-09 at 01:13 PM.
    08-02-09 12:59 PM
    You are paranoid. There has been apps like these for years. **** you may use your same password here as your email address or something and Kevin could just check your email. Don't sweat it, I have been using social scope for months and my FB account hasn't been hijacked..
    08-02-09 01:06 PM
    Any word on when the update for socialscope drops? I am looking forward to there new setup that was previewed about two weeks ago on here....
    08-02-09 01:16 PM
    Did you guys get an invite or is there another way to download?
    08-02-09 02:31 PM
    Just downloaded this app myself. Who do you really give your personal information to anytime you register for a website and/or service? I don't believe there's any reason to be paranoid here.

And I just received an invite to SocialScope today after being registered for many months so it is possible that SS is nearing the end of Beta.
    08-02-09 02:53 PM
    I would love to try this app out. Just worried about a safety or privacy concern
    08-02-09 03:53 PM
    Ok, well let me explain why I'm paranoid.

I'm related to someone from one of the biggest bands in the world. I regularly get random messages from people asking if I'm related (because I share the same surname). I normally just ignore them but one time I decided to reply "no". What I didn't realize is that when you send a message to someone on FB it gives that person 30 days access to your profile and friends list.

This person then went through the list and was able to see that I also had my relative's wife and children on there and worked out that I was indeed related. He then started harassing the children.

By using SS, they now have full access to my personal details and friends list. They could easily be collecting thousands of user accounts to sell to identity thieves for big bucks.

I'm sure that this is not the case. Perhaps it would be useful if someone from SS told us how the store and secure our data?

08-02-09 05:05 PM
    I just got an invite a couple days ago and I'm pretty impressed with SS I think there shouldn't be any concerns as there are many other 3rd party twitter and FB apps out there.
    08-02-09 05:13 PM
    Ok, well let me explain why I'm paranoid.

I'm related to someone from one of the biggest bands in the world. I regularly get random messages from people asking if I'm related (because I share the same surname). I normally just ignore them but one time I decided to reply "no". What I didn't realize is that when you send a message to someone on FB it gives that person 30 days access to your profile and friends list.

This person then went through the list and was able to see that I also had my relative's wife and children on there and worked out that I was indeed related. He then started harassing the children.

By using SS, they now have full access to my personal details and friends list. They could easily be collecting thousands of user accounts to sell to identity thieves for big bucks.

I'm sure that this is not the case. Perhaps it would be useful if someone from SS told us how the store and secure our data?

People who look to steal your data go very little ingenuity to do it. It only catches the weak of the pack to say it bluntly. I doubt they would be going through the work of making so many improvements and dumping so much money to sell your info to someone. Its usually a click here to get a free xbox kind of thing..... All companies start like this. But your data is not worth as much as they are looking to make through a premium blackberry app.

At any rate, look for a privacy statement on their site, or contact them regarding the privacy.

08-02-09 05:17 PM
    I'm related to someone from one of the biggest bands in the world.
    Someone has to ask... what's the name of the band? U2? Radiohead? AC/DC? Iron Maiden? Aerosmith? DMB?
    08-02-09 07:25 PM
    Someone has to ask... what's the name of the band? U2? Radiohead? AC/DC? Iron Maiden? Aerosmith? DMB?
    I knew someone would....haha
    08-02-09 07:37 PM
    WJF84, there are privacy settings that can disable users from seeing your profile unless they are your friends. You should set them to make sure no one will bother you again. Also I believe there is a way to block messages from people who are not your friends.
    08-02-09 09:56 PM
    How did you get access? I applied for an invite MONTHS ago and haven't heard anything :-(
    08-03-09 11:55 AM
    How did you get access? I applied for an invite MONTHS ago and haven't heard anything :-(
    I guess you just have to be patient.

08-03-09 01:39 PM
    I've been running SS for months now, never once has my security be comprimised. Not really worried about it either, even with family in politics.
    08-03-09 01:40 PM
    I applied when i first heard about it months and months ago. I got my invite last week. It takes time, and they are just rolling it out slowly but i assure you, it will be worth the wait
    08-03-09 04:54 PM
    Iam still waiting to here back from socialscope.
    08-03-09 04:58 PM
    I downloaded the SocialScope alpha today and I'm very impressed with it. It's better than the official Facebook app and better than any Twitter app currently available.

However, I'm concerned about security. You need to enter your Facebook credentials in order for this app to function, so the people at SS now have full access to my Facebook.

There's not much on my Facebook at all, but I know identity theft is big business these days.

What are your thoughts?

I got the invitation also. Although it said "Alpha" on the invitation, it is actually a Beta version.

During the initial configuration, it will ask you for the Facebook account. You DO NOT have to set up Facebook in order to use SocialScope. I am using it for Twitter only.... at this time.

This SocialScope mobile version has very nice GUI. I like the fact that when you refresh, you will stay at the last message that you have read. That is something UberTwitter needs to improve on. The downside about SocialScope is that it does not have color highlights. It will be great if they can allow the users to set custom color highlights. UberTwitter has color highlights, but I don't like those colors (for some reason, the developer likes beige color ) and I would like to customize the color myself, if the app has such capability.

SocialScope mobile version is by far the best Twitter app that can seriously challenge UberTwitter's supremacy. If you are the developer of UberTwitter, you should take notes.
    Last edited by substring; 08-03-09 at 07:51 PM.
    08-03-09 07:46 PM
    It is also SocialScope Lite.

makes Me wonder what the non-lite version will contain

My Money is on a flux capacitor!
    08-04-09 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD