socialscope is a great app way better than uber IMHO
    07-16-09 10:21 PM
    Socialscope can bite me. I've been requesting an invite for months and I get the same crap email...."We're backlogged, check in a few weeks." Now they tease you 50 invites on Twitter? Good luck!
    I'm in your shoes exactly. 100% agree with u.
    07-16-09 10:53 PM
    I feel you guys man but honestly, you can't honestly knock it unless you've tried it. Ubertwitter is a GREAT app & I've used it before but you'll see the difference between the 2 apps. They made 2 more announcements:

@socialscope: Announcement: New beta version coming out very soon with much more functionality and improved UI.

@socialscope: Announcement: We will be opening up the beta. Will take us a LONG time to invite everyone currently on the list. Invites will go out daily.
    07-16-09 11:15 PM
    how can I try when they won't allow me a spot? 50 invites on an app used by millions....way to go with the math there. It's as if you need to know one of the developers to get in. So far, all I have are multiple unanswered emails, which means zero support. Why do I need this app again?
    07-16-09 11:56 PM
    Socialscope sounds like a great twitter app.. but they're being a pain in the @$$ at the moment.
    07-17-09 12:04 AM
    This has to be the longest beta ever...why are they dragging it out so long, if everyone who uses it says it's already great. Geez, Windows 7 was in beta for less time...
    07-17-09 01:11 AM
    This has to be the longest beta ever...why are they dragging it out so long, if everyone who uses it says it's already great. Geez, Windows 7 was in beta for less time...
    Gmail was in beta for like 5 YEARS!!
    07-17-09 01:48 PM
    If they are opening up the beta why not just make it fully public and put a OTA link on their site

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 04:33 PM
    Yea I just got my invite from the contest I am finally on.

07-17-09 10:43 PM
    Yea I just got my invite from the contest I am finally on.

Wow lucky you.
    07-17-09 10:49 PM
    Wow lucky you.
    Has to be the best social networking app for the blackberry bar far hands down.

07-18-09 07:21 AM
    If they are opening up the beta why not just make it fully public and put a OTA link on their site

Because it would most likely overwhelm their servers and crash the app for everyone, thereby making it completely pointless. Afaik, they're adding users slowly so they can keep an eye on the servers.

07-18-09 09:32 AM
    i really am looking foward to this
    07-18-09 09:42 AM
    Because it would most likely overwhelm their servers and crash the app for everyone, thereby making it completely pointless. Afaik, they're adding users slowly so they can keep an eye on the servers.
    You are absolutely right. But did you ever watch Animaniacs? Because it's time for another "Good Idea/Bad Idea"

Good idea: watching your server load and only allowing use to the number of users you're equipped to serve reliably.

Bad idea: making people wait month after month for a chance to use your service, while allowing others to cut in line by playing a silly "vote for me" game.

The thing is, if the reason for limiting use is so they can provide good service, shouldn't they be focusing on keeping people happy on a first-come-first-served basis? If they're worried about people complaining about things, this is sure a strange way to avoid it. And if they're doing it for votes/publicity, have they stopped to consider that maybe they don't need more publicity? They have users lined up WAITING to try their app. Many more than they're prepared to take, apparently. Lame stunt if you ask me. But more power to them. I asked for an invite AGES ago and never heard anything. In the meantime, I've totally lost all but the occasional, passing interest in their app. This is the first I've cared enough to click on a thread with their name in the title in months. I was getting tired of waiting so I intentionally stopped clicking them. I think I'll go back to that plan now.
    07-19-09 04:23 AM
    You are absolutely right. But did you ever watch Animaniacs? Because it's time for another "Good Idea/Bad Idea"

Good idea: watching your server load and only allowing use to the number of users you're equipped to serve reliably.

Bad idea: making people wait month after month for a chance to use your service, while allowing others to cut in line by playing a silly "vote for me" game.

The thing is, if the reason for limiting use is so they can provide good service, shouldn't they be focusing on keeping people happy on a first-come-first-served basis? If they're worried about people complaining about things, this is sure a strange way to avoid it. And if they're doing it for votes/publicity, have they stopped to consider that maybe they don't need more publicity? They have users lined up WAITING to try their app. Many more than they're prepared to take, apparently. Lame stunt if you ask me. But more power to them. I asked for an invite AGES ago and never heard anything. In the meantime, I've totally lost all but the occasional, passing interest in their app. This is the first I've cared enough to click on a thread with their name in the title in months. I was getting tired of waiting so I intentionally stopped clicking them. I think I'll go back to that plan now.
    Oh believe me, I'll be one of the first to say that the way they've handled this beta is the oddest I've ever seen, and I've actually GOT Socialscope. That said, I don't know why they didn't start sending out invites earlier on a first-come-first-served basis instead of the way they're doing it. (Though afaik they ARE sending out invites from the email sign ups; it will just take a while because so many people put in duplicate sign ups.)

I've been using the app since January and I don't understand why it hasn't been released sooner. The app is very solid now, and there's rarely a call for any serious bug fixes. It's curious, to say the least. :/

07-19-09 06:16 AM

Bingo! Couldn't said it any better. I signed up for an invitation back in Jan. I follwed them on Twitter. Did all the things that people suggested as being helpful in trying to get an invitation. End redult? Nada, not a thing.. Just a loss of interest on my part...and I know I'm not the only one.

Not only that, whilw SS continues playing their beta games, other apps like UberTwitter et al are gaining more and more of the market share and making a name for themsleves. Nothing syas marketing success by trying to finally goingpublic in an already crowded arena. Itl have to prove to be THE killer must have BB app to get people to switch from well established and well liked apps.

I also wonder just how much server power they'll be able to muster if they're so worried about it now that they have to limit the number of beta users.

07-19-09 07:32 AM
    Everyone, I think the point of Yaboid opening this thread was to offer information to those that are waiting on SS invites, not to open a thread about bashing SS, Uber, or any other application and/or process. I'll admit, I am biased because I've been a SS user since day one, but at the same time, before I listened in on SS's chat session on Blackberry Boards, I too, felt like you on how they are going about the beta process. However, since that chat session, I have a better understanding of what they are doing. 1. They were blown away by the demand for this app. 2. As stated here, rather than opening the floodgates and destroying the bridge, they are "properly" balancing their loads. 3. For any great product, as mentioned here, ie. Gmail, it takes time to work out all of the kinks. Just last week I uninstalled SO many beta apps and/or apps that were dev'd on Monday an released out of beta on Friday due to them nearly crapping out my device. Patience. If you choose not to be patient, then stop bashing a dev team and their methodologies, and find the app that suits you in this moment.
    07-19-09 09:36 AM
    If you're going to run a private beta, fine. Just don't stirng potential users along.

1. Twitter is huge. They shouldn't have been surprise by the demand.
    2. By now they ouight hjave a very good idea what kind of lpoad balancing they'll require. If they're still so worried about it that they're only opening up the beta incrementally, they're going to have a nsaty surprise when they finally launch (assuming the demand hasn't evaporated by then).
    3. Gmail may have taken time to iron out the bugs, but it was much more of an open beta than SS. (I had no trouble getting an invitation to gmail, and soon after I was given 50 invitations to share, etc...)

You're on the inside, so good for you. But your point of view is going to be biased in favour od SS (and understandably so). For the rest of us, well.... Like I've said, interest is waning .

07-19-09 10:10 AM
    If you're going to run a private beta, fine. Just don't stirng potential users along.

1. Twitter is huge. They shouldn't have been surprise by the demand.
    2. By now they ouight hjave a very good idea what kind of lpoad balancing they'll require. If they're still so worried about it that they're only opening up the beta incrementally, they're going to have a nsaty surprise when they finally launch (assuming the demand hasn't evaporated by then).
    3. Gmail may have taken time to iron out the bugs, but it was much more of an open beta than SS. (I had no trouble getting an invitation to gmail, and soon after I was given 50 invitations to share, etc...)

You're on the inside, so good for you. But your point of view is going to be biased in favour od SS (and understandably so). For the rest of us, well.... Like I've said, interest is waning .

No objections to anything you've said except for your comment about me being on the "inside". I applied for an invite just like everyone else did...the first day the app was introduced on this very site. The chat session I mentioned was completely open to registered users of blackberryboards.com. It was announced on SS's Twitter stream. But as you respect my view, I respect yours....Tweet on brother.
    07-19-09 10:16 AM
    What I meant by being on the "inside" was that you were a user of SS. I wasn't implying that you had a special connection with SS and the dev team.

07-19-09 10:23 AM
    all the games involved with getting this app are fricken ridiculous. ill stick with tweetgenius and possibly tweeteev, whenever the eff they get around to releasing it!
    07-19-09 11:17 AM
    IMO I think they have handled the beta strangely. �bertwitter are on an open beta and as a result it is one of the most popular twitter clients (at least with the people I follow on twitter). Personally I would like to get it to play with but to be honest �bertwitter does a good job for me. The way they have kept it to a fee people kinda adds to the hype really, which some people enjoy but personally annoys me a little. Once SS opens up a bit or if I get an invite ill try it until then uber is all I need.

07-19-09 12:24 PM
    Bingo! Couldn't said it any better. I signed up for an invitation back in Jan. I follwed them on Twitter. Did all the things that people suggested as being helpful in trying to get an invitation. End redult? Nada, not a thing.. Just a loss of interest on my part...and I know I'm not the only one.

Not only that, whilw SS continues playing their beta games, other apps like UberTwitter et al are gaining more and more of the market share and making a name for themsleves. Nothing syas marketing success by trying to finally goingpublic in an already crowded arena. Itl have to prove to be THE killer must have BB app to get people to switch from well established and well liked apps.

I also wonder just how much server power they'll be able to muster if they're so worried about it now that they have to limit the number of beta users.

I agree 100%. I could've said all of the above and Digitalboy's quote as well
    07-19-09 10:47 PM
    I don't even use Twitter that much at all (don't really care to follow people's daily doings, or have others follow mine that much) and I think the way they've handled it is completely ridiculous.

It's gotten so hyped up, like it's BBM 5.0 or something.
    07-19-09 11:34 PM
    Thanks for the info !
    07-23-09 01:10 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD