how was it when you were kicked out ? your account no longer worked, or it had no valid versions ?

mine has no versions now :P (it had .44 )
    Gave me some error when I was in the app (Not authorized or something). Then there were no versions listed on the site.

Whenever I would try to sign up it would send me an invite code but wouldn't work. Once my "banned" account was updated to .81 the invite code worked for a new email adderess.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 04:01 PM
    buuu

then my account is banned :P
    02-06-10 04:07 PM
    buuu

then my account is banned :P
    Yup, you must have said something he didn't like. Try signing up again with the same email. It looks like he caught this but it wouldn't hurt to try.

02-06-10 04:12 PM
    i tried signing in with the same and SO many other emails (and asked my gf and family members too)

ive been doing so since .84 or so (when a friend did re-signed and got a new account for .81), with NO luck.

o well...

and yes, whay a kept saying everywhere i could ,was that the app rocked, but that they LIED, that .44 and .81 were out of the update loop.

he blocked me from twitter, and after a month or 3 weeks, no more valid version :P
    02-06-10 05:40 PM
    SS has a lot of brilliant ideas behind its concept, and many of those ideas are incorporated well. However I think if it's to be successful, SS development needs to put a feature lock on what it's implemented already, market what it has now, and begin development on a next gen release.
    A primary thing they need to be successful is to SUPPORT the users that they already have!
    It may be fun and exciting to 'sign up a new user', and to tell people that 'they have become the chosen ones who get an invite', but you MUST support the people who already have been using your software and supporting it all along and NOT throw them under the bus. If you keep dumping on existing users/testers, you just generate a lot of people who are upset. And banning them from your application may make you feel better by quieting them down there, but that just makes them more outspoken and validated when they are talking in other locations (such as on Crackberry). Think about it, if someone sent him an email and complained that the updates werent being sent to everyone, a couple things would likely happen, 1) they would rant a few times (put them in your spam filter if you dont want to hear it), 2) theyd run themselves out of steam and eventually go sulk. Some people would listen to them, but most would ignore them as 'sour grapes'..
    BUT,you ban them and turn off their account etc, 1) you make them go to a larger forum to complain (aka Crackberry), 2) a MUCH LARGER audience is now listening to them, and paying attention now, 3) people start to wonder about you as a person ("gee, if I say something they dont like, about anything, they just shut me up"), 4) when you release the program, if you charge, you have lost ALOT of people who will NOT pay $ for something that you have the power, and proven you will, silence people who you want.
    People will now be thinking in the back of their mind all the time, "whats to say I pay money for this and they choose to not send updates to me, but they will to others", or "If I use their program and I dont agree with their views will they censor me by disabling my software".

All they are doing is damaging their reputation as a company and as programmers...
    02-06-10 05:44 PM
    i tried signing in with the same and SO many other emails (and asked my gf and family members too)

ive been doing so since .84 or so (when a friend did re-signed and got a new account for .81), with NO luck.

o well...

and yes, whay a kept saying everywhere i could ,was that the app rocked, but that they LIED, that .44 and .81 were out of the update loop.

he blocked me from twitter, and after a month or 3 weeks, no more valid version :P
    Lol, he told me I needed to "wait" for the official version since I couldn't handle beta testing. He is kind of correct. As a beta tester I am "helping" better "his" software that will most like require a fee to use. I also expected updates to fix issues that have been reported and addressed by the developer. Maybe I was just horrible because I sent feedback and after the bugs were fixed, I didn't get included in the update. Waaaaaaaaaa

02-06-10 06:19 PM
    A primary thing they need to be successful is to SUPPORT the users that they already have!
    It may be fun and exciting to 'sign up a new user', and to tell people that 'they have become the chosen ones who get an invite', but you MUST support the people who already have been using your software and supporting it all along and NOT throw them under the bus. If you keep dumping on existing users/testers, you just generate a lot of people who are upset. And banning them from your application may make you feel better by quieting them down there, but that just makes them more outspoken and validated when they are talking in other locations (such as on Crackberry). Think about it, if someone sent him an email and complained that the updates werent being sent to everyone, a couple things would likely happen, 1) they would rant a few times (put them in your spam filter if you dont want to hear it), 2) theyd run themselves out of steam and eventually go sulk. Some people would listen to them, but most would ignore them as 'sour grapes'..
    BUT,you ban them and turn off their account etc, 1) you make them go to a larger forum to complain (aka Crackberry), 2) a MUCH LARGER audience is now listening to them, and paying attention now, 3) people start to wonder about you as a person ("gee, if I say something they dont like, about anything, they just shut me up"), 4) when you release the program, if you charge, you have lost ALOT of people who will NOT pay $ for something that you have the power, and proven you will, silence people who you want.
    People will now be thinking in the back of their mind all the time, "whats to say I pay money for this and they choose to not send updates to me, but they will to others", or "If I use their program and I dont agree with their views will they censor me by disabling my software".

All they are doing is damaging their reputation as a company and as programmers...
    I agree with everything you said, well put...
    02-06-10 06:46 PM

I read your reply a couple times (because quite honestly it took a few readings to interpret exactly what your'e saying, despite the overall tone giving a general idea), however I'm kind of at a loss as to why you seem to be arguing against what you quoted from my earlier reply when in actuality your words seem to support (kind of) what I was saying.

My point is simply that SS should feature lock what they have and focus on releasing to the general public, then continue on to a next gen release. On one hand, it is a decent product that does exactly what it was originally intended to do. On the other hand, I think what is holding it back is that the developer is focusing on competing with other apps that are designed for one singular purpose. However therein lies the flaw as it will never compete well against an app designed for one sole purpose because the singular developer trying to support multiple mediums will never be able to keep up with a developer focused on one singular task. In my personal opinion, SS has met the goals it originally set out to accomplish and can be quite successful in it's current incarnation. It doesn't excel in any one specific social medium, but does quite well combining features of multiple mediums.

As for 'Banning' people from SS. That's a bit harsh as nobody has been 'Banned' from using SS. Yes some have had their beta testing privileges revoked, but that isn't an actual Ban. It's not as if after the product goes public that they won't be able to use it then. A couple have had this happen from what's observed on this forum, but at the same time if you look closely it wasn't from some inadvertent criticism in which the dev took umbrage, moreso it was imposed on those who made it a point to make a crusade out of it and browbeat the developer. I myself have publicly spoken a few harsh words about my opinions on how the beta is being handled, and as of this writing I can still honestly criticize how it's organized. However I choose to be a bit more rational about it. If you're not testing the product, you're not missing out on a life changing experience... there are other options.

Keep in mind that SS is still in Beta. Lose any sense of entitlement to the product as it simply does not exist. I will concede that it's not really smart on SocialScope's part to push the "We're smokin hot and nothing else compares" attitude, and at the same time hold what they have behind closed doors keeping people in suspense for over a year now.

For those curious about how good SocialScope is, here's my opinion... If you're looking for a Twitter app with all the features and functionality, SS does okay and offers a lot but not the most compared to other Twitter apps. If you're looking for a Facebook app, the Facebook features SS supports, SS does a better job than the native Facebook app; however at the same time the native client has features SS doesn't support at all. SS does completely replace any need for the Foursquare app as it does a better job than it's native counterpart in all aspects. And for the last, I'm still at a loss as to why Flickr messaging is supported, but it's there and available (however I can't help but feel that if SS wanted to support another social medium, they could have found something much more widely used than Flickr).

If you're somebody who casually uses at least three of the aforementioned... Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, and Flickr, then there's a very high probability that SS will provide exactly what you need... and it will do it very very well. If you're a power user that needs to squeeze out every possible feature of any one of those social mediums then you would probably be better off using apps dedicated to that purpose.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-06-10 at 10:43 PM.
    02-06-10 10:31 PM
    I pretty much agree with everything that's already been said. Nothing more really to say.

Been using it for well over 6 months, still have not been upgraded.

I'm on:
    STILL on 0.9.5.44-0(0)

You'd think they would like to try the software with one of the latest OSes on one of the latest devices. Guess not.
    02-07-10 02:12 PM
    I read your reply a couple times (because quite honestly it took a few readings to interpret exactly what your'e saying, despite the overall tone giving a general idea), however I'm kind of at a loss as to why you seem to be arguing against what you quoted from my earlier reply when in actuality your words seem to support (kind of) what I was saying.

My point is simply that SS should feature lock what they have and focus on releasing to the general public, then continue on to a next gen release.
    Well, my personal problem with how they are handling it centers on the way that existing testers are ignored and pushed aside, as well as their way of 'pick and choose' on getting invites. I know pf many people (my wife included) who have applied for an 'invite' several times in the past 6+ months. They receive an email basically saying that they are on a waiting list and 'be patient'. Others send an app and get a code in under 30minutes.. The email that says be patient, evidently should say 'you've been blown off' because after 6+ months and nothing, when some get it faster than a Domino's pizza = blown off..

On one hand, it is a decent product that does exactly what it was originally intended to do. On the other hand, I think what is holding it back is that the developer is focusing on competing with other apps that are designed for one singular purpose. However therein lies the flaw as it will never compete well against an app designed for one sole purpose because the singular developer trying to support multiple mediums will never be able to keep up with a developer focused on one singular task. In my personal opinion, SS has met the goals it originally set out to accomplish and can be quite successful in it's current incarnation. It doesn't excel in any one specific social medium, but does quite well combining features of multiple mediums.
    I agree on this.. Its been more stable than most and should have been public MONTHS ago (well, I'm on .44 and it is more stable than most software... it should have gone public within a version of that).

As for 'Banning' people from SS. That's a bit harsh as nobody has been 'Banned' from using SS. Yes some have had their beta testing privileges revoked, but that isn't an actual Ban. It's not as if after the product goes public that they won't be able to use it then.
    No, but it IS as if that will happen.. Look at the way SS is working... When you run the program it has you log in to the SS server account, NOT just your twitter/facebook.. If it was ONLY blocking people from getting new versions to stop them in the beta, their existing would work, but they are getting errors that their existing one is no longer valid.
    It equates to an actual ban, with the ability to do so after release if SS stays with its existing way of operation. The users go thru the SS server, NOT direct to the services. Thats always been one of their reasons for such a slow release of invites is 'the server capacity to handle the users'. If it was simply direct connecting to the individual services their server would have nothing to do with it.
    With their current operation method of SS, they DO have the ability at any time (now or in the future) to block/ban anyone they determine from using the software. No that will not ban someone from twitter, but that wasnt my point in the email. My point is they are damaging their reputation and going to make people think twice about using a program that someone has the ability to block them if they dont agree with what they say. Whether paid service or not..

A couple have had this happen from what's observed on this forum, but at the same time if you look closely it wasn't from some inadvertent criticism in which the dev took umbrage, moreso it was imposed on those who made it a point to make a crusade out of it and browbeat the developer. I myself have publicly spoken a few harsh words about my opinions on how the beta is being handled, and as of this writing I can still honestly criticize how it's organized. However I choose to be a bit more rational about it. If you're not testing the product, you're not missing out on a life changing experience... there are other options.
    My point is that people will look at the ability, not the reason..

Keep in mind that SS is still in Beta. Lose any sense of entitlement to the product as it simply does not exist. I will concede that it's not really smart on SocialScope's part to push the "We're smokin hot and nothing else compares" attitude, and at the same time hold what they have behind closed doors keeping people in suspense for over a year now.
    Its not a sense of 'entitlement'. Its a sense that people who have been on the program for a long time, testing it and putting up with inevitble bugs, are arbitrarily dumped, without the curtisy of a reply email when they ask very nicely about any updates? Its either ignored or get the 'form letter' reponse that says absolutly nothing.. If they want to dump existing testers, at least send an email to those testers, even a less than sincere 'thanks for testing but we are moving on and you wont get any new version' would be better than the cricket chirping sound that you hear from them now...
    02-07-10 03:19 PM
    all and any of my emails where completly ignored, feedback, "reclamations", whatever.

it was SUPER funny how, 1 month back, a friend and i, both on .44, re registered, almost at the same time (me first), and he got an invite to .81 and i go the "suck it" email :P

I really made it my PERSONAL crusade to keep buggin @socialscope, @amitkumar01, their facebook, and here, about coming clean about the update not going out EVER for people not already having the latest version.

the end result was me getting "banned" XD
    02-07-10 04:17 PM
    In all it comes down to if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. If you can't take criticism, then stay away from application development. This goes across platforms, from desktop apps to iphone to blackberry. Every developer receives criticism in some form, even the guy who made tweetie for iphone who has quite a cult following. They get hounded for updates all the time.

Hate to tell you this developers, but this is a CONSUMER driven market. You are all making apps for the end consumer, so you all better do a damn good job pleasing them at all times. If you can't handle that, then don't bother making your app. Those that are complaining that the consumers have a sense of entitlement, well, they are entitled. When you make a promise to someone, thats pretty binding. The bellshare guys behind berry weather, they were getting absolutely pounded in criticism. You didn't see any of them revoking a user from the program in a girly fit of tantrum. Ubertwitter, thats a one man operation. He gets a lot of complaints to his twitter accounts. He responds appropriately. He's been pushing out new fixes to testers pretty rapidly over the past few weeks to get the end product just right, and hes in constant communication with the consumers. He's one man.

Allegedly, this socialscope operation is a few people, but no one is quite sure since this guy Amit is the only one (barely) communicating and the only one kicking people out. He doesn't really respond to problems about the app either in feedback or on twitter. Paul from ubertwitter responds via both email and twitter pretty quickly. And, the fixes/suggestions are never really put into place. The autostartup is something more than a few people have said they wanted to control. Also, no other twitter app shows the twitter over capacity like socialscope did, and in fact twitter wasn't over capacity at those times, I tested that. Like previously said, they made the program go through their servers. No other program does that. The other facebook/twitter multiple client app, Voda Update, doesn't do that. Maybe an ulterior motive to kick up hype for their app? I'll bet socialscope would be 100 times better if it didn't have to connect through their servers. Like previously stated, whats stopping these guys from kicking someone who legitimately paid for their app (once it goes paid, and it will) from kicking that person out just because they didn't agree with what the user said either by email or by twitter, or even by message board?

Just some food for thought.
    02-07-10 05:16 PM
    If more people realized that SS isn't actually the "Be-all End-all application" some of its users purport it to be, there'd be much less animosity.

Do not get me wrong, what SS does is pretty good. It incorporates various social mediums into one convenient app. But also understand that all those replies from users claiming SS to be the best thing since sliced bread are really just over-hyping an app they have access to, knowing that you have no basis to contradict.

I enjoy testing SS, and find the app itself very useful, and would probably make the leap to dedicate sole use to SS, except for a few glaring setbacks. 1st... the footprint it puts on the device; the tradeoff between features I get from individual apps outweighs the benefits I get from SS with its combined features of different social mediums. 2nd, SS is all or nothing when it comes to updating social mediums... if I want to keep constant updates on one social medium (ie twitter), yet set other mediums to a lower priority, there's no option for that; whereas utilizing individual apps makes it a simple matter. 3rd, Security/privacy.. and this is really big to me... every setting/option/password is stored on SS's servers (which is why the accounts I use with SS are secondary test accounts on the social mediums).
    02-07-10 11:52 PM
    A friend got me an invite like 2 months ago. Within 5 hours I was emailed to signup and download v .81 and now I believe its up to .88 and I haven't gotten any updates. Sux.... .81 Is good but I want the updated foursquare features!!!!! Tweetgenius is better for twitter anyway, and there new update is coming very soon and it will be game over for ALL.

02-08-10 01:15 AM
    yeah, new invites where for .81, when newer versions were out.
    02-08-10 07:36 AM
    I have UberTwitter & SS.81 installed & when I select the embedded pic in a tweet timeline (through UT), it automatically opens SS & attempts to access it through there. Anyone else having this issue?
    02-09-10 05:30 PM
    I have UberTwitter & SS.81 installed & when I select the embedded pic in a tweet timeline (through UT), it automatically opens SS & attempts to access it through there. Anyone else having this issue?
    yes this happens mostly when 2 app are trying to do the same im using ss .44 and uber .58 and this happens most of the time as uber tries to open ss / funny i had the same issue when tg first dropped and sent an email to tg and they suggested i delete ss and it wont happen, replied NO ill delete tg first and its something to get used to if you have 2 apps and they both want to be the main one (has something to do with some kind of code the apps use i believe)
    02-09-10 05:48 PM
    well, right now in TG when i try to open someones timeline, it goes to uber :P
    02-09-10 05:50 PM
    yes this happens mostly when 2 app are trying to do the same im using ss .44 and uber .58 and this happens most of the time as uber tries to open ss / funny i had the same issue when tg first dropped and sent an email to tg and they suggested i delete ss and it wont happen, replied NO ill delete tg first and its something to get used to if you have 2 apps and they both want to be the main one (has something to do with some kind of code the apps use i believe)
    Thanks for the info man. Sux that i gotta use 2 different apps just to make up the functionality of the .88 update I'm still waiting on....SMH
    02-09-10 10:01 PM
    For those saying there is no T&C or ToS or anything like that. When you receive your invitation email it states:

PLEASE NOTE: SocialScope is in private beta and access is available via invite only. During this time, we intend to keep all aspects of SocialScope CONFIDENTIAL. By using SocialScope, you agree that you will not disclose any look and feel, features, functionality or other aspects of SocialScope to anyone until SocialScope's official public launch.
    So talking about features, look, issues, anything through any public forum is against the agreement you made by downloading, installing, and using this beta software.
    03-18-10 12:15 PM
    I have tried to sign up for a copy of the Beta for a while now and no luck. Anyone know how to get an invite?
    03-18-10 12:20 PM
    For those saying there is no T&C or ToS or anything like that. When you receive your invitation email it states:

So talking about features, look, issues, anything through any public forum is against the agreement you made by downloading, installing, and using this beta software.
    Are you an agent of Socialscope? How many cents have they given you for this ?!

03-18-10 12:25 PM
    Are you an agent of Socialscope? How many cents have they given you for this ?!

None, I'm just aware of the stipulation of me choosing to participate in the beta and obviously others are not, especially after complaining of being removed from the beta after talking about the features on twitter, here, and elsewhere.
    03-18-10 12:33 PM
    To be fair details about SocialScope are pretty abundant:
    SocialScope for BlackBerry � Boy Genius Report
    SocialScope for BlackBerry impressions (and invites!) -- Engadget Mobile
    Sneak Peek: SocialScope Combines Twitter and Facebook on BlackBerry
    Free app: SocialScope Lite now available for BlackBerry! | Apps & Games | BlackBerry Rocks!

I think the argument is that the version that many of us have is old and broken; we suggest fixes, or ask to be updated to a version that is fixed - but our requests seem to fall on deaf ears.

We are simply asking for the features that others who were updated already have and have talked about. I think there wouldn't be as much complaining if we all had been updated regularly. The complaining is coming from us who have been on the SAME version for almost a year.
    03-18-10 08:02 PM
    SocialScope has officially left the building on my device as of today, I am done with it. UberTwitter for the f@cking win...
    03-18-10 08:06 PM
288 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD