Hope I get one soon!!b

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 10:38 AM
    Ive tried twice to get invites for SS. Really want to try the app out!
    05-23-10 10:41 AM
    thanks for the information, hope I win it!!!
    05-25-10 11:00 AM
    Got mine last night. I love this app. Immediately deleted the RIM FB app after that.
    05-25-10 12:52 PM
    Congrats. Maybe that's a sign that mine will be coming soon. Lol wishful thinking is all I have...lol

05-25-10 02:21 PM
    It took me about 8 months to actually to get my invite...I had a horrible Saturday night and woke Sunday morn to an invite...So try having a bad night and maybe you'll get an invite???

It drains my battery kinda fast but the app is great...
    what if i have a horrible work WEEK? lol

i registered last week�and still nothin. my friend got his after one day though. i dont get their method. just gonna have to wait for it i guess.
    05-25-10 02:43 PM
    from the look of this app, it looks so cool. i actually ask for invites three times and send them an email, but nuthin . when will the app actually comes out?
    05-25-10 09:11 PM
    I got 2 accounts that i dont even use.
    Ill trade it for software coupons.
    05-26-10 01:35 AM
    I'm really surprised more people aren't chiming in about how the new version forces you to use GPS... I simply refuse to use an application that wants to know right where I am everytime I use it. I understand some people don't care, but it's really something of an outrage, especially when you know next NOTHING about the people getting this information. Not so much as a FAQ or an About Us.

If I were a marketer or advertiser or anyone looking to gain an advantage over someone, I would dearly love to know the details of his or her movements, especially as aligned with what they are thinking and writing, and when, and to whom. What could be better than that?

Taking privacy for granted is destroying Facebook day by day faster than BP is killing the Gulf. FB had the strongest potential to be one of the king brands of all the net. Now look at them. They've got the Senate on their *** and top tech people of all stripes are BRAGGING about dumping them, videocasting their deletions, devoting web sites to it, etc.

Twitter apps that don't respect privacy will NEVER survive. Others will catch up with any and all bells and whistles in no time, and the one or ones that learn best from the mistakes of Facebook and others will be the Amazon of the pack sooner than we realize.

I loved Socialscope. There was no bigger fan than me. Was the first app to work well, really at all, on my phone and was the best and fastest. They blew the rest away on my phone, which did not have a 5.0 OS. Now that I'm upgraded, I've quickly adjusted to several others, also free, and would only be too happy to pay for one that gave me a fair shake of flexibility and control of my usage.

My privacy is not for sale... it's not even for free.
    05-26-10 01:49 AM
    I'm really surprised more people aren't chiming in about how the new version forces you to use GPS...
    I don't think it forces you to... in the update status box, just click on the laser sight thingy - that will remove the location from your tweets.

Not bashing your post as that sort of thing is increasingly important these days, and I wouldn't go flaming anyone, but it's an easily switch off-able option...

Barljo
    05-26-10 07:28 AM
    Got mine last night. I love this app. Immediately deleted the RIM FB app after that.
    I keep both, facebook app actually monitors all your incoming FB communication from your email. SS only sees the feeds.
    05-26-10 08:26 AM
    I keep both, facebook app actually monitors all your incoming FB communication from your email. SS only sees the feeds.
    I turned off my e-mail notifications. Social Scope alerts you on a wall
    comment, or posting that you commented on.
    05-26-10 12:22 PM
    I turned off my e-mail notifications. Social Scope alerts you on a wall
    comment, or posting that you commented on.
    I put a filter on my GMail to mark most FB notifications as READ when they come in. That way, I don't get notified twice, but I still get the messages in case there's an issue with SS and I need to turn FB back on, which has happened a few times in the past year or so.

What's nice is that when the FB is running, it will still process the notifications even if they come in marked as read, but if I'm logged off the FB app, the email notifications just quietly get dropped in my inbox as read items with no notification (which is how I usually want it).
    05-26-10 01:11 PM
    I don't think it forces you to... in the update status box, just click on the laser sight thingy - that will remove the location from your tweets.

Not bashing your post as that sort of thing is increasingly important these days, and I wouldn't go flaming anyone, but it's an easily switch off-able option...

Barljo
    Yes, but I'd just as soon not give the app permission to use GPS from the permissions setting. Yet when I do that, the app won't even load. Ubertwitter, Twitter For Blackberry and every other app I've ever had is fine with this.

The issue isn't just tweeting my location, it's having that information compiled by the app provider.

Obviously it's easy to provide Twitter access without requiring GPS permissions... and a number of other shady permissions many apps like to grab. Not to do this seems a very suspect way of doing business. The utter lack of transparency on Socialscope's site, their odd behavior in invites and customer service, all leads me to err on the side of caution. They may be a bunch of Mother Theresas, I simply haven't a clue.

I never joined facebook because I never thought they were trustworthy. People were all over my case to join. For years. Now they are deleting in droves.

All this tech is very, very new still. An abundance of caution seems the only way to go.

Since I've got many choices for the very simple thing of tweeting 140 characters, my dollars will go to the companies that show that they care.

Here is a good article:

Is Your BlackBerry Your Best Friend And Your Spy?

Is Your BlackBerry Your Best Friend And Your Spy? Security Study And Your BlackBerry | BlackBerrySync.com - BlackBerry News and Reviews

Pay particular attention to the links such as this one:

Exclusive: SMobile Systems Concerns About The iPad, Mobile, Security And You | BlackBerrySync.com - BlackBerry News and Reviews

This is also essential

Is Your Blackberry App Spying On You?

Is Your BlackBerry App Spying on You?

Be sure to access the full slides presentation and pay attention to the 3rd party apps permissions grid on slides 25-27.

Blue tooth, wi-fi... all this stuff carries real risk if you do anything financial or private on your phone. GPS adds real insult to injury. Cases of twitter and facebook gps abuse and crime are mounting. One of the bottom lines is you really need to trust the people who make your apps. Private betas with companies hiding behind thick curtains is a dodgy affair on a device where you are basically conducting your entire business and personal life in great detail.

We need to know *a lot* about these phones and a lot about those we let onto them. The security is nowhere near up to snuff yet.

Be careful.
    05-26-10 02:17 PM
    I got 2 accounts that i dont even use.
    Ill trade it for software coupons.
    Got one for ya! Pm me or email [email protected]

05-26-10 09:45 PM
    Yes, but I'd just as soon not give the app permission to use GPS from the permissions setting. Yet when I do that, the app won't even load. Ubertwitter, Twitter For Blackberry and every other app I've ever had is fine with this.

The issue isn't just tweeting my location, it's having that information compiled by the app provider.
    Fair comment - good post and good links, thanks for the info. Will have a read for sure!

Barljo
    05-27-10 02:59 AM
    is anyone experienced major memory draining with socialscope?
    mine refresh automatically every 15 mins and it drained the memory a LOT.
    when i used uber twitter and twitter for blackberry it refreshes every 5 mins and they don't drain my memory this much
    05-27-10 12:16 PM
    Took me almost a year to get my invite but it was worth it. It's a great app. The only thing that irks me with it is that to remove new message indicators inside of it you have to click on an item and then another. You have to do that for each header that indicates a new message....I did send that in via the feedback form so hopefully it gets improved.....Otherwise, this thing is certainly ready to come out of beta!
    05-27-10 11:21 PM
    when i used uber twitter and twitter for blackberry it refreshes every 5 mins and they don't drain my memory this much
    No memory drain at all for me on Storm2......been using it for a couple of months.
    05-27-10 11:23 PM
    Anyone having problems deleting their twitter accounts from socialscope ? I can remove anything but twitter. I changed my password for twitter and now I'm getting "I'm not authenticated" warnings. This will do for now. Anyone having the same problem ?
    06-07-10 11:07 PM
    I've been using this app for quite a while now and have experience almost no memory leak at all. I have my updates set to 15 min...but i can't imagine that would make a huge difference.
    06-08-10 07:31 AM
    Anyone having problems deleting their twitter accounts from socialscope ? I can remove anything but twitter. I changed my password for twitter and now I'm getting "I'm not authenticated" warnings. This will do for now. Anyone having the same problem ?
    I'm trying to do the same and get an error. I switched my twitter name and now I can't seem to update my account information or delete the twitter service and add it once again. I e-mailed them with the correct information so hopefully that'll work. I also tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, but for some reason all my information was synced after installation...
    06-08-10 08:02 AM
    I'm trying to do the same and get an error. I switched my twitter name and now I can't seem to update my account information or delete the twitter service and add it once again. I e-mailed them with the correct information so hopefully that'll work. I also tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, but for some reason all my information was synced after installation...
    I did this a while ago with the older version of SS and it worked fine...but I'm not about to try it now if I don't have a reason to!
    06-08-10 08:35 AM
    Do you know where I can get the older version. Although I think I remember SS forcing you to update to the latest version so that's...that. I can't go back to my old password, it's been compromised . And the authentication error takes a lot of screen but I can always scroll down...
    06-08-10 07:22 PM
    I have been trying to include my new account for the last two days. I guess there are a few other people not being able to update their twitter information and/or delete a particular account. I emailed them, but they replied with a "computer generated message" saying that they get way too many emails and don't respond to each one but that they do read them. (Whatever that means). I twittered about it too, and as of the time of me posting this thread, there hasn't been a response yet.

It's practically impossible to select the username portion and just backspace in order to include the new account. You can only do that with the password, and when you click on "remove from socialscope" I get the following image (I have done this at least 10 times). Notice, again is misspelled :-)

Last edited by arsenalsocal; 03-27-11 at 01:36 AM.
    06-25-10 07:40 PM
364 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD