so i want to tether my storm to my laptop and i don't want to pay 59.99 to be capped at 5gb. we will blow threw that. so i heard about this tetherberry. and wanted to know if any other user has used this and how excatly it works. i know it said that it uses my current data plan. does that mean my (e-mail and web 29.99) data plan. or will my carrier hit me with a MB fee, or put me on a 59.99 plan?
    zandersmom
    07-22-09 10:00 PM
    If u do it right it will use ur current data plan however, tethering is illegal.. Take it from there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 10:49 PM
    Tethering is not illegal as long as you do it according to your carriers methods.

Going around your carriers tethering policy to tether for free is theft of service.

07-23-09 12:36 AM
    At&t told me personally it was illegal that's why they want to charge you 60 bux a month for it.. They also quit offering a unlimited data plan in my area because college kids figured out how to do this without paying the 60 bux..

07-23-09 01:23 AM
    Thetherbery is still tethering - it's just a way to set it up easier if you're not technicmanally inclined.

As for it being illegal, check your carrier's Terms and Conditions. Where I am it just comes off your data plan, but then we don't enjoy unlimited access either
    Last edited by crnz; 07-23-09 at 02:38 AM.
    07-23-09 02:35 AM
    Tether berry is a great program. I beta tested it when I had my pearl and it worked really good. It uses ur data plan and while using it I saw no increased charges on my phone.

But again this is illegal and bid red might catch on. Use at ur own risk
    07-23-09 02:36 AM
    If you are worried about blowing through the 5 Gig tethering plan limit, you will set off red flags using Tetherberry. They will note the high data usage and look into the reason for it.
    07-23-09 08:32 AM
    This is false information...using tetherberry will not set off any 'red flags'. You just need to monitor the amount of bandwidth you consume. Casual web browsing is not going to be an issue. However, downloading large files will be an issue - over time. I don't understand why people make such a huge deal out of this - just be smart about it. Don't use tetherberry if you need to share gigs and gigs of files with your home computer and work. If your cable is out at home, or you're on the road - and need to jump online, then by all means fire up tetherberry. I will note that the app does show you how much bandwidth you're consuming per session.
    By the way, this program does not work on all carriers...its not going through any back doors, and its not being sneaky. At the end of the day, it does depend on your carrier.

If you are worried about blowing through the 5 Gig tethering plan limit, you will set off red flags using Tetherberry. They will note the high data usage and look into the reason for it.
    Last edited by mconk; 07-23-09 at 02:51 PM.
    07-23-09 02:49 PM
    The poster commented that they would blow through the 5 Gig limit. Using tetherberry will not magically make it less bandwidth so it will set of red flags due to the bandwidth (not due to the program itself but due to the bandwidth.)
    07-23-09 03:28 PM
    Well of course-blowing thru 5GB of data using any method is going to flag your account on any carrier, and then start the ticker for data used after 5GB...since all carriers have imposed this cap. This is why I mentioned the proper uses for TB in my post below. I wasn't referring to the OP. There's really no reason to ever exceed 5GB unless you're d/ling large files...who would want to even try doing this in the first place?

The poster commented that they would blow through the 5 Gig limit. Using tetherberry will not magically make it less bandwidth so it will set of red flags due to the bandwidth (not due to the program itself but due to the bandwidth.)
    07-23-09 03:39 PM
    Also turn off Windows automatic updates. It tends to run in the background. Notifying you after it's already downloaded and ready to install.
    07-23-09 06:18 PM
    thanks everyone...
    07-25-09 01:24 AM
    thanks everyone...
    are u seriously bumping every thread just to thank people?
    07-25-09 02:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD