Maybe it's just me, but if in a text message you need more than 160 characters, maybe you ought to consider calling the person.
    Haha, I think it's one of those "if I'd actually wanted to talk to them, I would already called instead of texting" things,

Sometimes ya just don't wanna talk...

lol yesss i know if its longer than 160 or even long at all than why dont you just call the person but i asked my question because some of the people i need to contact (like my "i want to be young" boss) like sending these longgg texts vs email and when i had verizon (which he has) i could send long texts back...tmo wont let me send over 160 in one text...though for some reason it will let me at random times....

but thanks for those who didn't feel the need to be rude about my question it was serious lol and yes again why not call or email...I would prefer that hahahah
    05-26-08 07:38 AM
    With respect to your boss, he shouldn't be using text messages for business. It's not reliable. What will he do when your bb memory gets full and your messages get dumped? Politely let him know you appreciate he's cool, and point out that email is safer for business communications. Maybe he'll promote you to IT manager!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-08 07:56 AM
    With respect to your boss, he shouldn't be using text messages for business. It's not reliable. What will he do when your bb memory gets full and your messages get dumped? Politely let him know you appreciate he's cool, and point out that email is safer for business communications. Maybe he'll promote you to IT manager!

haha oh I have but he doesn't listen...I've told him that if he sends it through email it would be better but I guess it doesn't register...Him and his "coolness" just out-weigh reality I suppose.

I'll give him your advice...as well as promotion
    05-26-08 08:21 AM
    What is mms? Not sure how to use that...
    01-14-09 03:25 PM
    What is mms? Not sure how to use that...
    Multimedia Messaging. Allows you to send pics, vids, audio, to a phone. Not email, more like SMS text, but allows the additional stuff.
    01-14-09 04:14 PM
    short
    messaging
    system
    lol, I swear some people will whine and complain about every little thing.
    01-14-09 04:16 PM
    The difference between SMS and MMS is that SMS uses your text plan. MMS requires a data plan. SMS is text only. MMS is data, so can include media.

01-14-09 04:17 PM
    what im wondering is.. since the OS/hardware can handle it.. what EXACTLY is stopping, what seems to be, CDMA carriers from continuing the text like tmobile/att phones do? cdma/gsm users are able to share the same firmware, no? there must be a setting in a file somewhere we could edit right? sticking the phone in some kindof diagnostic mode then using QXDM to edit the new entry.

i know its not a carrier network issue.. as my htc diamond on sprint allows me to text using way more than 160 characters and splits them up as seperate texts when sending.

also... sprint blackberry phones have no MMS service book so using that is not an option either. here's another question...

if i aquired a serviec book from another provider and installed it on my phone manually.. would that allow mms to work? when going to messages > menu > view folders on my curve theres are incoming/outgoing mms folders.. so it must be possible somehow other than waiting for Sprint to officially release something.
    Last edited by autoprime; 01-14-09 at 10:56 PM.
    01-14-09 10:52 PM
    CDMA and GSM phones do not share the same firmware. But you are correct, the SMS limitation is not an OS limitation. SMS is an ANSI standard, 160 7-bit characters. Anything else is Extended SMS. I don't know why the CDMA carriers don't support it on the BlackBerries, Verizon does on non-BlackBerry phones, or so I've been told. But they don't on BlackBerrys, and there's no way the user can enable it.

01-14-09 10:59 PM
    In Blackberry App World there is an application called Beyond160. There is a free trial on it and it allows you to send messages longer than 160 characters by splitting them in to multiple sms messages (1/6, 2/6, 3/6, etc)
    09-30-09 09:54 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD