Does anyone know if there is a app that lets you carry over texts that are longer that 160 to the next text or are we stuck with writing one than saving it than writing the next than sending them..?
    05-22-08 08:34 PM
    ... i'm pretty sure it already does that...
    05-22-08 09:23 PM
    verizon no go, it stops like a Mac truck on the highway!
    05-22-08 09:33 PM
    Some of the limits are carrier-specific. I'm on AT&T, and if I type an SMS that's over 160 characters, all characters over 160 automatically gets sent as a second text message. I believe the maximum limit is 960 characters (it gets split into 6 text messages).

Of course, email is the easy way around this limit.
    05-22-08 09:40 PM
    short
    messaging
    system
    05-24-08 05:48 PM
    Lmao!!!!too funny

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-24-08 06:03 PM
    short
    messaging
    system
    why
    thank
    you.
    05-25-08 07:39 AM
    Does anyone know if there is a app that lets you carry over texts that are longer that 160 to the next text or are we stuck with writing one than saving it than writing the next than sending them..?
    yes there is

It is called EMAIL
    05-25-08 08:19 AM
    I think if you send a SMS through mms you can get well over the 160 limit. It works on my pearl so give it a try.

05-25-08 08:28 AM
    160 characters is the limit of the signaling protocol used. Here's an excerpt from the wikipedia entry: "Messages are sent..., whose payload length is limited by the constraints of the signalling protocol to precisely 140 octets (140 octets = 140 * 8 bits = 1120 bits)...this leads to the maximum individual Short Message sizes of 160 7-bit characters..." I recommend you read the wikipedia entry for the history and the rest of the details. SMS has been around since the early 90's. Since then, extended protocols have been developed that get around the 160 char limit. But SMS is just 160 chars.

05-25-08 08:40 AM
    Some of the limits are carrier-specific. I'm on AT&T, and if I type an SMS that's over 160 characters, all characters over 160 automatically gets sent as a second text message. I believe the maximum limit is 960 characters (it gets split into 6 text messages).

Of course, email is the easy way around this limit.
    It works that way on my phone, even on another brand phone I've owned. Can't speak for carriers.
    05-25-08 08:50 AM
    On Verizon you can send a longer message via mms. I do it all the time without a problem.

05-25-08 09:17 AM
    verizon no go, it stops like a Mac truck on the highway!
    Mac truck; is that a computer made by Apple?
    05-25-08 09:21 AM
    MMS uses a different protocol from SMS. Verizon devices without cameras can neither send nor receive MMS. That's a point to consider if you're buying one.

05-25-08 09:25 AM
    160 characters is the limit of the signaling protocol used. Here's an excerpt from the wikipedia entry: "Messages are sent..., whose payload length is limited by the constraints of the signalling protocol to precisely 140 octets (140 octets = 140 * 8 bits = 1120 bits)...this leads to the maximum individual Short Message sizes of 160 7-bit characters..." I recommend you read the wikipedia entry for the history and the rest of the details. SMS has been around since the early 90's. Since then, extended protocols have been developed that get around the 160 char limit. But SMS is just 160 chars.

Jeff's right, 160 bytes in 7 bit format or 140 at 8 bit. That's it.

Mind you my old Sony-Ericsson used to split long texts automatically
    into second text. Why the Blackberry cannot do this I do not understand.
    05-25-08 09:26 AM
    I suspect the answer to that is at least two-fold. The address space is limited by the processor RIM uses. As Stoner points out in his memory management post, Rim and the carriers could easily have filled all the space. Some things had to be left out to leave any working memory. Hence no MMS support on the non-camera devices. And no extensions to SMS. Second, RIM's traditional business customer base is much more likely to be using email than SMS for business use. So no reason for extended capability.

As RIM gets more into consumer devices, and when they move to a processor with a bigger address space, all this will likely change. And these are just my opinions.

05-25-08 10:38 AM
    I'm with Telus on a Curve 8330...140 characters max with sms, it says field full after that and thats it...no mms
    05-25-08 11:24 AM
    my tmobile curve just carries over to the next message and lets me continue typing
    05-25-08 12:16 PM
    As Pete6 noted, 140 chars is the limit if you are using an 8-bit alphabet. You have more symbols available to you, at the cost of 20 chars.

05-25-08 12:20 PM
    Jeff's right, 160 bytes in 7 bit format or 140 at 8 bit. That's it.

Mind you my old Sony-Ericsson used to split long texts automatically
    into second text. Why the Blackberry cannot do this I do not understand.
    actually mine does.
    it gets split into 6messages
    i have a at&t pearl 8110 so i guess its the carrier
    05-25-08 12:34 PM
    I miss ems that alllll other verizon phones support. 1000 characters when texting verizon to verizon.

blackberries stop you from doing that, unfortunately.

05-25-08 12:35 PM
    Maybe it's just me, but if in a text message you need more than 160 characters, maybe you ought to consider calling the person.
    05-25-08 03:11 PM
    Haha, I think it's one of those "if I'd actually wanted to talk to them, I would already called instead of texting" things,

Sometimes ya just don't wanna talk...
    05-25-08 05:32 PM
    This just started happening today, but I have been trying to connect to the internet on my VZW Blackberry curve and it takes forever and says requesting and then never connects?

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
    05-25-08 05:51 PM
    This just started happening today, but I have been trying to connect to the internet on my VZW Blackberry curve and it takes forever and says requesting and then never connects?

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
    yes. you choose verizon. lol

just kidding verizon is a great carrier so hold your bashing fanboys. But the first thing i would have done is a battery pull then dialed that customer service number if the battery pull did not work, most carriers have it preprogrammed into the phone. give it a shot it's usually a free call.

ohh yeah try creating a new thread in the appropriate section next time.
    05-25-08 08:32 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD