I may have been falsely lead on but i read in one of these threads that there is an app that allows you to extend your sms beyond 160 and in a threaded set up. Is this true?
    04-02-09 02:52 PM
    would be nice but i think thats a Verizon limit...not a BlackBerry limit so im not sure an app would fix that?

More txts that have to be sent...the more money VzW could possibly make for those who are not on ultd text plans.
    04-02-09 03:25 PM
    would be nice but i think thats a Verizon limit...not a BlackBerry limit so im not sure an app would fix that?

More txts that have to be sent...the more money VzW could possibly make for those who are not on ultd text plans.
    Eh thats not entirely true. On my RAZR it would let you go over 160 char (VZW) but all it did was send 2-3 different TXTS as the limit is STILL 160 it just didnt make you send part and start a new text so it made it easier to type a long txt. So it has nothing to do with getting more money as its going to do that regardless. According to some quick google searches the 160 char limit is pretty universal and that its on other carriers as well it just "breaks" the txt up into 160 char sections once it sends. Which is how a lot of VZW phones used to work (and maybe still do just not with the storm).

Now...when I went to europe and was using GSM 3G on the storm it would let me keep typing past 160 but the counter would show how many 160char txts you were doing (up to a maximum of 3) so it still has the limit just a more user friendly way of implementing the limit instead of making you send and start a new text on your own.

**edit: SMS is MEANT to be short bursts of info which is why a lot of companies agree on the 160 char limit. If you want to send bigger messages you are supposed to use MMS technically
    04-02-09 03:34 PM

The 160 character rule is a BlackBerry limit, not a VZW limit. BlackBerry assumes anything over 160 characters is an email, and should be treated as such. TXT messages are not meant to be instant messages or novellas. If you want to send more than 160, send an email or send it as an MMS.

According to some quick google searches the 160 char limit is pretty universal and that its on other carriers as well it just "breaks" the txt up into 160 char sections once it sends. Which is how a lot of VZW phones used to work (and maybe still do just not with the storm)
    That is pretty much why the BlackBerry imposes that limit @ 160.
    04-02-09 04:33 PM
    I just find it a hassle to send an mms (I no I no). But they are sent to normal cell as a picture message and are slower. I had a voyager before and it let you send more then 160.
    04-03-09 09:40 AM
    I just find it a hassle to send an mms (I no I no). But they are sent to normal cell as a picture message and are slower. I had a voyager before and it let you send more then 160.
    Again, BLACKBERRY limit. Other verizon phones will normally let you continue typing and split the messages up until you reach 6 message iirc.
    04-03-09 01:40 PM
    Again, BLACKBERRY limit. Other verizon phones will normally let you continue typing and split the messages up until you reach 6 message iirc.
    It is a BB issue, but not on all phones. For instance the Curve I use for business allows me to send 6 full text messages as one.
    04-03-09 01:53 PM
    Actually my previous phone would let you sent the 160+ characters as one message if you were sending to another verizon customer.
    04-03-09 02:40 PM
    It is not a verizon limit (for the actual message) but RIM's. SMS cannot send over 160 characters but a phone can allow you to type a message over 160 characters and split the message according. My previous voyager allowed me to do so which is a Verizon phone. I'm unsure why RIM placed a cap with the 160 carrier message on the Storm. My previous blackberry and all others that I have seen (that friends own) allow you to do exactely this. Type a message as long as you want and split it into however many messages it takes to send each with the 160 character limit. It could be due to the fact that normally the person recieving the text will only get the first message unless you're on the same carrier. I've had that problem before. Currently I have no knowledge of a software that will allow you type more than 160 characters.
    04-03-09 04:07 PM
    It is a BB issue, but not on all phones. For instance the Curve I use for business allows me to send 6 full text messages as one.
    What model Curve? Is it a BES thing? Because I know on my BIS Curve 8330, this was not possible.

Actually my previous phone would let you sent the 160+ characters as one message if you were sending to another verizon customer.
    Uh, yes.. that's exactly what I said. Most phones will allow this option.
    04-03-09 04:54 PM
    you could use this Long Messaging Service App that this guy started developing..

its not the greatest but its better than nothing

you can find it at mpmethods.com
    04-03-09 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD