I just bought the very cool SmrtGuard app (today for the 50% off discount!) and I am very impressed with the app and the associated web interface.

I am however, hesitant to back up my data via this service for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I am never comfortable giving my private information to be stored on a private companies web server, and secondly, and this is a general concern with the entire app, but if someone was to gain access to the SmrtGuard servers via nefarious means (SQL injection, XSS exploit, or any other myriad of web server exploits that crop up ), it could allow them to not only have access to everyones information (from the backups), but also the ability to control the SmrtGuard features of peoples' blackberries (ie: remote destroy, tracking, etc).

Anyone else consider these possibilities?

I still like the app, and I do believe it is a great idea. I just know it is probably a target for all the losers out there who like to cause trouble for people and companies via hacking.
    08-21-09 05:35 PM
    I just bought the very cool SmrtGuard app (today for the 50% off discount!) and I am very impressed with the app and the associated web interface.

I am however, hesitant to back up my data via this service for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I am never comfortable giving my private information to be stored on a private companies web server, and secondly, and this is a general concern with the entire app, but if someone was to gain access to the SmrtGuard servers via nefarious means (SQL injection, XSS exploit, or any other myriad of web server exploits that crop up ), it could allow them to not only have access to everyones information (from the backups), but also the ability to control the SmrtGuard features of peoples' blackberries (ie: remote destroy, tracking, etc).

I still like the app, and I do believe it is a great idea. I just know it is probably a target for all the losers out there who like to cause trouble for people and companies via hacking.

I've been using smrtguard since the beta and liked it so much that I bought the yearly service.

I understand your issues with it. Very valid concerns, especially when there are so many hackers out there. But the company is constantly updating their service and upgrading their security measures. I personally have never had any problems since I've been using it. And if I had any questions, customer service was always very quick to respond.

I thought the same as you when I first starting using the beta, but I see all the security measures they take and it seems pretty safe. Their web service that is connected with the app is just as safe as any other password protected website that you may use, including email. I don't see many things that a hacker could gain from getting on to the smrtguard servers that they couldn't do by hacking your email accounts or something else anyway. Sure it is like putting all your eggs in one basket but you don't have to back up everything if you are concerned. It is worth it even if you just back up your contacts. It saved me a few times when I either had to switch phones or I accidently wiped my phone tinkering with the software. And what's the worst a hacker can do with your contact list, make calls?
    08-21-09 06:00 PM
    Ya I am sure they are putting lots of effort into the security of their servers etc. I actually thought the same as you, things like 'whats the worst a hacker can do with your contact list' and other data... but I realized its somewhat of a self-defeating argument since, for many I am sure, the fact that they have SmrtGuard is to give them protection for their data should the Blackberry fall into the hands of an evildoer. So if it is so important that you keep people away from your data that you chose to buy SmrtGuard, then it is certainly just as important that no one has access to it via hacking or whatever other reasons (disgruntled employees, etc).

All in all it is a very cool program.. my mindset is always centered around the limitations and results of evil intentions..
    08-21-09 07:09 PM
    I often thought of this as well. I think they are secure enough with all the new measures. I don't think anyone is hack proof 100% but they are in right direction.

How about this? Would it even work?

Define a key or passphrase known only to you. Then encrypt YOUR data with the latest and greatest encryption algorithm with that passphrase.

Then if someone stole the info from smrtguard then it would be useless to them without the key.

To view your info on the site, just enter the keyword or passphrase (which is not stored on their server at all) and it decrypts your info for viewing.

Just a thought
    08-21-09 08:06 PM
    I doubt that I would use this to backup data. I can use BB Desktop Manager and back it up myself. Am always paranoid about putting my personal data on someone else's server as the OP said. I would consider Smrtguard for the same reason - paranoid about my data falling into someone else's hands (lost or stolen) and like the idea of remote locking and wiping if need be. Have mixed feelings about the tracking part of it. Kind of "big brotherish". But I kinda like the security of having someone else know how to find me (via the BB) if I drove off the side of an enbankment in a rain storm (for example).
    08-22-09 12:18 AM
    I as well have been using it since the beta. I have never really been too concerned about my data because really I have nothing to hide and if someone wants it bad enough they will get it, if not thru smrtguard, then somewhere else. But I can personally attest that I will alway have a subscription thru them. There customer support has been awesome and I actually lost my old curve 8330 and used it to track it down to the cab where I accidently left it. All the features it provides, my berry will always have smrtguard.
    08-22-09 05:46 AM
    Well I can say this app saved my **** one night in Walmart.

I was shopping and had shorts on that had no pockets. As I was reading the label I set my Berry down. I put the item in the cart and walked off.

It was about 15 minutes later when i went to call my wife and noticed I didn't have it. Couldn't remember where I set it down either.

Well I ran into a friend of mine and I called home and had my wife activate the audio ping on my phone. And I just started walking around.

After about 2 minutes of walking I heard the all famaliar "UH-UH-UH-UH-UH"

About three isles over in the caulking isle was my Berry right where I left it and all safe and sound.

I think their data storage is safe enough but ONE audio ping makes the yearly subscription worth while.
    08-22-09 09:44 AM
    i just purchased this as well last night....the gps is very accurate....i located myself when i first bought it and it said that i was about 6 houses down....as the time passed(like 10 min) the gps actually located me right across the street....big brotherish...extremely.....safe....god i hope so.....
    08-22-09 01:53 PM
    Ok- I bought this app yesterday at 1/2 price. My problem is: I never got the box that prompted you to put in your login info. The app is downloaded and activated- however without any login info I can't get into the dashboard at all. I e-mailed their customer service yesterday- but so far- no reply. Anyone have any ideas for a fix???
    08-22-09 10:12 PM
    backing up data ota is cool and the audible ping is a nice feature...problem is I've been playing with this since I bought it yesterday and I have yet to be able to lock my device from my pc. On top of all that I tried the self-destruct test and it didn't work. It's still a good product and worth the money imo but the security aspect of it seems to be nothing more than false security that doesn't work....so needless to say I'm disappointed...hopefully they'll fix this. At least it's still worth the money...not like that crap product quick pull pro thats only made for people that never lock their device.
    08-26-09 12:34 PM
    backing up data ota is cool and the audible ping is a nice feature...problem is I've been playing with this since I bought it yesterday and I have yet to be able to lock my device from my pc. On top of all that I tried the self-destruct test and it didn't work. It's still a good product and worth the money imo but the security aspect of it seems to be nothing more than false security that doesn't work....so needless to say I'm disappointed...hopefully they'll fix this. At least it's still worth the money...not like that crap product quick pull pro thats only made for people that never lock their device.
    You've got to set up the @blackberry e-mail address. Until you do that, it won't work at all.
    08-26-09 12:45 PM
    Yh I had done that...its working now. I upgraded the OS and now its working. I don't know if that's what did it but I'm not going to argue, if its working then I'm happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 10:12 AM

all those methods you mention are the result of beginning web programming mistakes. any advance web developer knows how to protect there code against sql injects and xss exploits. i do understand your concerns but you're taking it to the extreme. whats stopping someone from writting a piece of javascript code that would wipe any mobile device if the page is accessed? should we all stop browsing sites that we do not know.

just my 2cents.
    08-27-09 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD