SmrtGuard has, through an incredible act of “head up the old wazoo" syndrom, inadvertently sent out what appears to be its entire list of BlackBerry customers, along with their email addresses, to everyone else on that list (including me) in an email announcing the release of the latest version of SmrtGuard (2.27), featuring, of all things, SPAM PROTECTION, practically guaranteeing that we’ll need it!

At the end of the announcement there’s an option to unsubscribe from their emails, should one desire. However, this time it not only gives me the option to unsubscribe myself, but I can also unsubscribe every other customer from the mailing list!

Really not confidence-inspiring for a security oriented company. So far I've seen no other posts. Am I the only one that received this address list in their announcement email??? My first clue was receiving an over 2MB plain-text message. I sent them a message yesterday, but still no response...
    05-11-10 05:12 PM
    Wow!! . . . . idiots!
    05-11-10 05:16 PM
    Oooops!! Software security doesn't mean much if the company doesnt have its own safeguards in place.

"THE NEW GUY DID IT!"

Poor new guy!
    05-11-10 05:22 PM
    As luck would have it, IMMEDIATELY upon submitting my previous post, I received the following open letter from SmrtGuard to their customers.
    Dear SmrtGuard Users,

Yesterday, we sent out an update email to all of our users. A link to unsubscribe from email updates was included in the message but a technical error occurred. Since then, we have fixed the issue which enables you to use the unsubscribe link if you choose to.

Your feedback is very important to us, if you have any comments/suggestions, please email us at support@smrtguard.com

Thank you for your understanding,

The SmrtGuard Team
    Unfortunately, it does not yet address the magnitude of the consequences of their "technical" error, let alone the irony.
    05-11-10 05:24 PM
    Wow! Not a confidence builder in the product with this blunder.
    The safe way to keep info protected to keep it to yourself.
    Sorry you are caught up in this mess...
    Speechless....
    05-11-10 05:24 PM
    . . . . . did I say WOW??!! . . . if not . . . WOW!!
    05-11-10 05:27 PM
    I got it, I didn't pay close attention at first. Then I saw their Facebook post last night and the WTF moment came.
    Seriously thinking about uninstalling their app and being done with them. Really, a "technical error"?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 06:03 PM
    I spotted this too, idiots. That's one way the spammers gather the emails in the first place. Just as well I have a spam filter for that...... which doesn't seem to work either.
    05-12-10 05:01 AM
    Now that I think about it I have actually been receiving some random Spam the last few days and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. This has got to be it. I received the second email from Smrtguard apologizing but didn't receive the email list people are referencing. Now that I have a better understanding of what they are actually apologizing for I see that this is terribly embarrassing for them, especially given the nature of their business. It will be interesting to see what steps if any they make to makeup for their negligence. A free month or two of service would suffice for me.
    05-12-10 01:47 PM
    Mayday, mayday, we're going down...
    05-12-10 01:49 PM
    Just for clarification, I'm not advocating bashing SmrtGuard. I don't seriously believe that this is typical of them, and I do think it was just an unfortunate mistake, although quite serious - much more so than they've fessed up to. I think they do need to elaborate on their technical error for the sake of their customers, and to show their own good will.

To those of you who have threatened to uninstall it and do no further business with them - I would suggest a little temperance. Let's see how they ultimately handle it.

As an aside - I first sent this news to the Crackberry tip line but never saw any response, to me or in the blog... disappointing.
    05-12-10 04:27 PM
    Just for clarification, I'm not advocating bashing SmrtGuard. I don't seriously believe that this is typical of them, and I do think it was just an unfortunate mistake, although quite serious - much more so than they've fessed up to. I think they do need to elaborate on their technical error for the sake of their customers, and to show their own good will.

To those of you who have threatened to uninstall it and do no further business with them - I would suggest a little temperance. Let's see how they ultimately handle it.

As an aside - I first sent this news to the Crackberry tip line but never saw any response, to me or in the blog... disappointing.
    I did contact them, for a little more explanation. So far, no response.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 04:44 PM
    [...]

(you'll be a star to many tho )
    05-12-10 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD