When you turn on WiFi and you use UMA the mobile network is always on. This is waste of battery life leaving the Mobile Network on. smartUMA will automatically detect when you use UMA and will turn off Mobile Network and when UMA is not in use it will automatically turn Mobile Network back on. This will conserve considerable battery life because Mobile Network is not on.

Note: Because a battery pull will turn on both WiFi/UMA and Mobile Network you must manually disable UMA or Mobile network.

WiFi is required.

Click here smartUMA - Automatically turn on and off mobile network when connected to UMA - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    12-08-10 10:21 AM
    Makes me wish I was on TMo lol. Or that Sprint would get UMA.
    12-08-10 02:49 PM
    When you turn on WiFi and you use UMA the mobile network is always on. This is waste of battery life leaving the Mobile Network on. smartUMA will automatically detect when you use UMA and will turn off Mobile Network and when UMA is not in use it will automatically turn Mobile Network back on. This will conserve considerable battery life because Mobile Network is not on.

Note: Because a battery pull will turn on both WiFi/UMA and Mobile Network you must manually disable UMA or Mobile network.

WiFi is required.

Click here smartUMA - Automatically turn on and off mobile network when connected to UMA - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    Interested to know how this works with 'hand off'? For instance, I have UMA through my router when in my house... I'm on UMA and get in the car and leave... while still on the phone call... my bb 'hands off' from UMA to mobile network...

Does your program work in this manner and vice versa the other way? It sounds as though my phone calls would be dropped in the 'hands off' process since mobile is not active during the instance it is needed.
    12-09-10 12:12 AM
    Interested to know how this works with 'hand off'? For instance, I have UMA through my router when in my house... I'm on UMA and get in the car and leave... while still on the phone call... my bb 'hands off' from UMA to mobile network...

Does your program work in this manner and vice versa the other way? It sounds as though my phone calls would be dropped in the 'hands off' process since mobile is not active during the instance it is needed.
    the way it works is if you out of wifi range then smartUMA will enable mobile network. your calls wont be dropped because smartUMA doesnt turn off mobile. it only turns off when UMA is enabled
    12-09-10 11:33 AM
    the way it works is if you out of wifi range then smartUMA will enable mobile network. your calls wont be dropped because smartUMA doesnt turn off mobile. it only turns off when UMA is enabled
    Okay, so in my case above... if I'm driving home and on the phone (on mobile with no wifi) and finally arrive at my house then it will switch over to UMA and drop mobile network with no drop off. Sounds great.

but... what about the other side of that?

I am in my house on a call (UMA on which would mean mobile is off) and now get in my car and leave. By the time I am out of wifi range for your program to enable the mobile network I would think my phone call would be dropped as that is the exact time a hands off to mobile needs to be made. Unless you have some kind of check in place which gives enough time to enable mobile network before wifi(UMA) is dropped then it sure does sound like that would happen.
    12-09-10 12:49 PM
    Okay, so in my case above... if I'm driving home and on the phone (on mobile with no wifi) and finally arrive at my house then it will switch over to UMA and drop mobile network with no drop off. Sounds great.

but... what about the other side of that?

I am in my house on a call (UMA on which would mean mobile is off) and now get in my car and leave. By the time I am out of wifi range for your program to enable the mobile network I would think my phone call would be dropped as that is the exact time a hands off to mobile needs to be made. Unless you have some kind of check in place which gives enough time to enable mobile network before wifi(UMA) is dropped then it sure does sound like that would happen.
    smartUMA wont force mobile off unless there is there no wifi service.

you can try the app for free and see how it works
    12-09-10 07:34 PM
    I never got Version 1.0 to work, make sure you exercise your free trial period. It doesn't detect UMA, just Wi-Fi. In theory I should be able to force smartUMA to switch the mobile network on and off by sitting in a Starbucks HotSpot and changing my Connection Preference for voice between Mobile Network Only (which drops UMA) and Wi-FI Only (which forces UMA), while *connected* to Wi-Fi service the entire time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by hubermania; 01-14-11 at 05:55 PM.
    01-14-11 01:40 AM
    Nice app but a lot of apps will not update in UMA mode only..Beryweather, SocialScope. Has it's good points I suppose but my battery life is great so not sure if it's for me. I guess that's what trials are for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 02:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD