When you turn on WiFi and you use UMA the mobile network is always on. This is waste of battery life leaving the Mobile Network on. smartUMA will automatically detect when you use UMA and will turn off Mobile Network and when UMA is not in use it will automatically turn Mobile Network back on. This will conserve considerable battery life because Mobile Network is not on.

Note: Because a battery pull will turn on both WiFi/UMA and Mobile Network you must manually disable UMA or Mobile network.

WiFi is required.

Click here smartUMA - Automatically turn on and off mobile network when connected to UMA - Utilities BlackBerry Apps
    12-08-10 10:19 AM
    Doesn't seem to work as advertised as of version 1.0. smartUMA never detects the transition to UMA that follows moments after Wi-Fi is acquired. After a battery pull, the phone restores my network and Wi-Fi connections, followed moments later by UMA. The smartUMA screen reads as follows:

[v] Enable smartUMA
    [v] Vibrate when changing Mobile Network
    wifi connected.
    prepare to turn mobile off.
    Network is not in UMA mode yet.
    trying again

I open Manage Connections and switch the Wi-Fi connection off. smartUMA buzzes and adds these lines to its screen:

wifi disconnected.
    turning mobile on.

I switch the Wi-Fi connection back on. smartUMA buzzes (even though it hasn't toggled mobile network yet) and adds these lines to its screen:

wifi connected.
    prepare to turn mobile off.
    Network is not in UMA mode yet.
    trying again

Moments later my phone reestablishes the UMA connection. But smartUMA does not seem to ever recheck for a UMA connection. It has been 20 minutes and the smartUMA screen has not changed. I suspect smartUMA also would not detect loss of UMA as long as the Wi-Fi connection remains active.

I would be glad to work with you to resolve this issue, installing and testing any software fixes you make to get the UMA detection working. smartUMA is very, VERY appealing to me, not as a battery saver but as a means to prevent my phone from drifting onto the mobile network while I'm in range of a weak hotspot.
    01-09-11 01:21 AM
    from the debug log it doesnt look like smartUMA is detecting the UMA enabled. if it fails it will retry.

which bb do you have?
    01-10-11 02:34 PM
    I have the Pearl Flip 8220 running OS 4.6.0.308. When I walk into a hotspot and my BB connects to Wi-Fi, it usually takes an additional 30 seconds or so for the phone to negotiate/establish the UMA connection over Wi-Fi.
    01-10-11 03:15 PM
    I have the same trouble with this app. It also says that it is waiting for UMA as you say. My phone is the Bold 9700. I emailed their tech people about it but they have never responded.

I have the Pearl Flip 8220 running OS 4.6.0.308. When I walk into a hotspot and my BB connects to Wi-Fi, it usually takes an additional 30 seconds or so for the phone to negotiate/establish the UMA connection over Wi-Fi.
    03-05-11 04:38 PM
    I had high hopes for this app. Unfortunately it doesn't work and the developer has not released a fix. Maybe it works on the simulators, but a simulator is not a phone.
    03-05-11 11:48 PM
    I have the same trouble with this app. It also says that it is waiting for UMA as you say. My phone is the Bold 9700. I emailed their tech people about it but they have never responded.
    app will only switch when it detects that UMA is active.
    another test you can do is manually turn off mobile and wifi. wait for 30 seconds and then just turn on mobile and then wifi and see if uma is active. if so then smartUMA should turn off mobile network.
    03-06-11 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD