I had smartguard on my BB for some time, and back around october I decided to cancel my subscription. I noticed that on the main crackberry page there's an article about downloading the smartguard app for the blackberry for free. So I downloaded it again, and when I went to do a backup of my stuff, its telling me "account expired".

So I'm wondering whether its really for free or not?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 07:40 AM
    Or is it free to download but you still gotta subscribe/pay for the actual service?

02-08-10 07:42 AM
    Introducing SmrtGuard-Free: Provides Remote Tracking and Wiping of Device (and More) for Free! | CrackBerry.com

For the whopping price of $0.00, you get all of these features FREE for LIFE:

* Find my BlackBerry
    * Remote Data Wipe
    * Remote Listen (Remote Call Fwd) - Yes, you can remote call fwd your BlackBerry to another number in case you left it at home!
    * Add a Loved-one as a tracker (have your loved one get SmrtGuard, and add yourself so you can track each other) -> aka the Valentine's Day gift of trust
    * Personal Guardian and SIMCard Guardian

The remote tracking and wiping of the device is free forever.

The data backup is free for a 30 day trial and then you will need to pay if you wish to continue that service.

Try SmrtGuard Risk Free
    02-08-10 11:37 AM
    Its definitely free, you probably need to activate your old account on a new free account
    02-08-10 11:41 AM
    i think that you will have to use a secondary email than the one used to open the account...the website link shows how!!good luck and cheers!
    02-08-10 12:05 PM
    certain features are free check the site.. if u had a paid account it prob expired, now u can only track yourself. honestly i had it. uses about 3-4 mb, runs 24/7. waste of space on my 8330. especially with a hybrid on it.
    02-09-10 01:19 PM
    Useful app, but eats your memory, and DRAINS battery. Just from running in the background, my Tour was sitting in its holster most of the day, I went from full charge to yellow indicator.

02-10-10 02:51 AM
    I like the program and it's nice to backup stuff but I really wish you could close/shutdown the program with a password when you didnt need it on.
    02-10-10 03:23 AM
    It's free, just as the information Motorcycle Mama provided stated.

But remember the BB and secondary emails are for remote commands and notifications, which is not directly related to the subscription. You may just be having difficulties because just like most applications, it is connected to your BB's PIN number (you can see this in the about screen). It just may be "remembering" you from your previous subscription, which is expired, if you have not switched devices since then. Is this the case?

Anyway, send them an email, and see what's up.

Hope this helps.
    02-10-10 03:59 AM
    I like the program and it's nice to backup stuff but I really wish you could close/shutdown the program with a password when you didnt need it on.
    I thought the same at first. However, if you lose your device, or it is stolen, you won't have the chance to start the app--it would be useless then. The only way for it to work is if there's no way to shut it off.
    02-10-10 08:55 PM
    thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks
    11-27-10 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD