Can somebody explain to me what the smart wifi app actually does please?

thank you
    08-14-10 12:17 PM
    From my use, you load in your wifi locations. When your phone is in range, it turns wifi on. When you leave range, it turns it off. I haven't used it long so could be totally off-base and am using it wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 12:29 PM
    for that question, google IS your friend! the first two "hits" explain it.
    08-14-10 12:31 PM
    haha thanks ill check out google
    08-14-10 12:33 PM
    do i have to add my wifi location to both the app and the bb's wifi connection list? or just the app?
    08-14-10 12:38 PM
    It is a useless app!! Your BB does everything that app does for free so there is no need for it. It tried it and it screwed up all my wifi connections, would not recognize them, it was a huge head ache and a complete waste of time.
    08-16-10 11:21 AM
    It is a useless app!! Your BB does everything that app does for free so there is no need for it. It tried it and it screwed up all my wifi connections, would not recognize them, it was a huge head ache and a complete waste of time.
    i agree, total waste, always runs in background, i deleted it after a few hours.
    08-17-10 11:08 AM
    This one works well for me. I only have one wifi location - home - and it switches on wifi when I'm within the listed gps range, and off when I'm away, saving some battery life.
    08-17-10 11:58 AM
    Didn't work well for me. Useless for me anyway. Easier to leave it on since not much difference in battery life anyway. Also, you can add the wifi toggle to quicklaunch it's not that hard to do.
    08-17-10 12:50 PM
    Works fine for me. Pretty much the same scenario as berrysharkey, between home and the occasional hotspot my Wifi is off.
    08-17-10 02:42 PM
    I wonder if there are issues when multiple wifi profiles are installed. I noticed in another thread that people with one wifi location had success with the app.
    08-17-10 02:50 PM
    I've had multiple profiles with good results as well. It could be an issue if you have multiple WLAN profiles with in the same cell tower proximity.
    08-17-10 03:53 PM
    The app works great for me... Maybe a little too great.

I have no problems with the app except that I have to be cognizant and remember to turn it off if I want to add an additional profile. It turns the WiFi off when not around a known location, so when you get to an area where you know you have connected before, you must remember to turn it off so the device can "see" the hotspot. Then you can add the hotspot, and have it "remembered" from that point on.
    08-17-10 04:07 PM
    @MADBRAD: maybe I misunderstand you, but when you open the app, there's a button at the top that says Add New Location. If you're Wifi is off because you're not somewhere you've added to SmartWifi, click the Add New Location and it will turn on Wifi to search for routers, hotspots, etc, which you can then add.

08-17-10 04:30 PM
    I wonder if there are issues when multiple wifi profiles are installed. I noticed in another thread that people with one wifi location had success with the app.
    I have 5 locations added in SmartWifi, and it has perfectly since I got it about 6 months ago.

The only flaw in my opinion is how it works after an OS upgrade, device switch, etc. You have to manually re-add your locations. It has obviously saved the info somewhere, as when you add a previous location it adds instantly.

They need to figure out how to have your list re-populate by itself after upgrading.

08-17-10 04:35 PM
    Wouldn't using GPS use more battery than just leaving the wifi on?

08-17-10 04:36 PM
    Wouldn't using GPS use more battery than just leaving the wifi on?
    Yes it would. Whoever mentioned GPS above was incorrect. It uses cell tower locations.

08-17-10 04:38 PM
    Yes it would. Whoever mentioned GPS above was incorrect. It uses cell tower locations.

That would make a lot more sense. How accurate is that though? Cuz I know when I was in Idaho that one tower could cover an entire town, and even part of a second.
    Only question I've got then is if it takes more battery to run this in the background than to leave the wifi off; how much battery does having wifi on drain?

08-17-10 04:43 PM
    @MADBRAD: maybe I misunderstand you, but when you open the app, there's a button at the top that says Add New Location. If you're Wifi is off because you're not somewhere you've added to SmartWifi, click the Add New Location and it will turn on Wifi to search for routers, hotspots, etc, which you can then add.

Well, this is what I kinda mean. But I should have been more clear. My bad. This works when you go to lets say, your job. You know you have that cell tower in your profiles, so it works just as you stated. No problem.

My situation is that it does not work as fluent as the device profiles for random hotspots. The device works by name. The app works by cell tower location. So I may have a generic name of "Linksys" in my profiles, I can connect to ANY open/unsecured hotspot named linksys automatically, but with the app activated, I have to manually add these locations because they may be at a totally different random cell tower on the other side of the city, but still named linksys. I may encounter hundreds of these type of locations throughout the day with different names, and it is a PITA to add them. Sorry, I hope I explained it clearly now.
    08-17-10 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD