I use both for different reasons. Slacker has cacheing which is nice to have and I can listen to comedy which is big for me. Pandora on the other has doesn't have commercial interuptions and song selection tends to be better. Both have customizable stations. So if I want to listen to comedy or away from good cell reception (like army drill) then slacker, if I'm just listening to music, then pandora. Then again I also use flycast in the mornings to listeb to local radio at work. They all have their purpose and I'm not hurting for memory so I have no reason to choose one over another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 07:47 AM
    I downloaded the new version of Slacker yesterday for my Storm. I connected my Motorola S9, and Slacker won't play through them. It plays through my phone's speakers. Wasn't this update supposed to allow it to play over bluetooth?
    03-24-09 11:35 AM
    I had Slacker. Then when Pandora came out, I switched. Now I'm back to Slacker. Pandora repeated songs way too much.
    03-24-09 03:11 PM
    Both apps are good. I ride the subway, so that rules out pandora for a significant part of my daily commute.
    03-24-09 03:26 PM
    The caching feature on slacker is a great feature.. let your card fill up at night.. go to the gym in the morning with all the music you can handle
    03-25-09 05:00 PM
    I've only used slacker so far so I can't really weigh in. My question is, what is the deal with Slacker with Bluetooth? Are BT ear pieces supported or just stereo BT headsets?

03-25-09 11:15 PM
    Slacker is bloat. 1.3mb app? Not on my berry.

03-26-09 05:28 AM
    I have both, and haven't got my 16 GB memory card in the mail yet so cacheing hasn't happened yet, but I'm noticing pros and cons for both.

Slacker:
    *Pros- better UI, much better quaility, bluetooth, better customized stations, cacheing stations.

*Cons- slow load times, freezes constantly, huge footprint, can't multitask or it will restart.

Pandora:
    *Pros- MUCH faster

*Cons- POOR quility(gets worse via bluetooth), no cacheing.

Quaility is something that overhauls the rest for me. Pandora just sounds god awful, its almost like listening to a different singer, but if they were to upgrade that portion of the app I'd be sold.

For the time being I'm keeping them both. And am stuck down the middle.

03-26-09 10:06 AM
    slacker is way too sow and uses way too much memory. i could care less about caching, since i have an ipod. when i dont have my pod pandora works fine, and i like the songs it plays for the artists i pick.
    03-26-09 01:38 PM
    Quaility is something that overhauls the rest for me. Pandora just sounds god awful, its almost like listening to a different singer, but if they were to upgrade that portion of the app I'd be sold.
    Basically the same conclusion I came too. They need to address how ridiculously often they repeat songs also...
    03-26-09 01:42 PM
    I used to listen to Pandora, now I've switched to slacker. Here's the main reason why:

It appears that pandora has a small pool of songs. For every station that gets created, pandora has a very limited # of songs that will play to it. Slacker has a wider pool.
    03-26-09 10:42 PM
    Slacker streams more consistently for me. Pandora stops and starts constantly and then sits for several minutes of silence. Also, Slacker's caching capability puts it over the top. Finally, Slacker's approach to honing a station is a little bit slicker to me - easier to simply list the artists you want to hear from the get go.

I don't understand all the earlier posts saying "Pandora rules you get 6 skips per hour!!! OMG!" Slacker gives you the same.
    04-06-09 05:32 PM
    It appears that pandora has a small pool of songs. For every station that gets created, pandora has a very limited # of songs that will play to it. Slacker has a wider pool.
    That's not true at all. There is no such thing as techno on Slacker. There's trance and hard house and pop club BS but nothing underground whatsoever. There's no underground hip-hop or real forward thinking hard-rock, just classic or modern radio pop crap.

The thing is, Pandora just takes a while to set up and teach what you like. I have stations where more than a hundred songs are "thumbs-upped" and almost as many "thumbs-downed." That's not a small circle of songs, as you call it. That's a lot more to go on when accurately predicting my tastes than "sounds like (artist) " or " (genre) hits radio." Spend some time on the Pandora site for two days and tell me which app is giving you better music.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 04-07-09 at 08:48 AM.
    04-07-09 08:46 AM
    I'm stuck down the middle too. I like Slacker a bit more for pre set stations and better search results. Pandora is faster but there songs/artists I can't find on it.

05-08-09 01:00 PM
    *Cons- slow load times, freezes constantly, huge footprint, can't multitask or it will restart.
    This must be related to running it on some of the older devices. It doesn't slowdown, freeze, or restart on the Bold.
    05-08-09 01:35 PM
    I really like slacker for the song caching capability since I don't own a MP3 player. The other great thing is that living here in Wyoming Verizon does a good job of covering most of the state but there are some places that I have to go that cell coverage doesn't come with me so I just fire up slacker load up a cached station and off I go. The other great thing is that with the caching your not eating your battery to do it. Pandora does have some good song selection I'm still working on fine tuning my stations to my likes. So they both have their ups and downs as does any application. I've yet to ever find anyone who can give a app a complete 100% approval.
    06-13-09 05:02 PM
    Slacker for me.. I've never used Pandora but when you have Slacker and Verizon.. you don't need to.. i just love it
    08-30-09 04:12 AM
    I enjoy slacker, I have played with pandora on the comp a little, but never put it in the bb. For the type of music I like, slacker works.

08-30-09 05:13 AM
    This forum is Slacker is the best......Pandora is the best, ,, no Slacker is #1. So in conclusion it must be personal preference.
    09-04-09 07:06 PM
    hey wanted to see if someone can help me. i downloaded the new operating system for my bold and downloaded the new slacker and its not working for some reason i keep getting an error code. not really sure why. I says login failed (error code 500) failed to process request java.io.IOException:timed out

wanted to see if someone knows what this means.

thanks
    09-06-09 10:43 AM
    Slacker is bloat. Too slow on the 8320

09-06-09 03:40 PM
    I got Pandora when I first got my Storm. I loved it. An extensive selection of music and no issues with playing. For the first few months I had Pandora, I never had any pop up advertisements. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that the pop ups started appearing. They don't bother me though. The music still plays.

Audio sounds great to me...especially coming from a phone.

I tried Slacker a few weeks ago when it somehow popped up after I rebooted my phone. I hated it. It was more complex than Pandora and had too many buttons. I just need something where I can choose my music real quick.

Definitely try Pandora.
    09-06-09 07:30 PM
    im split in the middle... neither has ever given me a problem on my 9630. currently i have slacker and i love the song caching feature not available on pandora.
    01-02-10 01:20 PM
    Pandora's blackberry app doesn't cache the full song. At least it doesn't seem so. There are pockets where 3G completely drops on my bus route and sometimes i can make it through it without Pandora stopping. Others, I can't.

I actually think the algorithms used by Pandora are better than Slacker. I have to use slacker at work as pandora is blocked on my work computer.
    01-13-10 09:16 AM
    Hi!
    Pandora and Slacker radio are not available in my country - Portugal.
    I have found tv243.com a great alternative for it.
    love music
    02-10-10 08:29 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD