Can someone explain to me the concept of cache and how it works. I am new to Slacker Radio and see that I can cache a station. I know how to do that... but then how do go back and listen to the cache?

Does it cache what I listen to or what? I just dont understand the concept.
    02-10-09 09:29 PM
    if you cache a station it saves it to your memory card so you don't have to be connected to the blackberry server to listen to it. I've got a station cached and its quite nice.

Once you cache it you just open up slacker and click on the statione you've done it with and it should play without being constantly connected to the server
    02-10-09 09:33 PM
    So, I assume you ahve to have an active station playing for awhile to have something to cache? Or, is it cache-ing in the background.

I guess I just dont understand when it is cacheing?
    02-10-09 09:53 PM
    So, I assume you ahve to have an active station playing for awhile to have something to cache? Or, is it cache-ing in the background.

I guess I just dont understand when it is cacheing?
    NO, you can cache any station at anytime. When you want to cache a station you have to sync your bb up to your computer. basically what it does is download the station's playlist to your memory card. You still open up slacker to listen to the station, but its not connected to the server.

I created a custom station on slacker's website and when I downloaded the app the 1st thing I did was cache my custom station.
    02-10-09 10:04 PM
    This feature is really nice. I tether my bb to my pc usually a min of once a day, and slacker will update the cached stations playlist each time I do. I think it conserves some battery power as well.
    02-10-09 10:07 PM
    AAHHHH! OK! I got it... thanks! Makes sense now! Thanks!
    02-10-09 10:09 PM
    This feature is really nice. I tether my bb to my pc usually a min of once a day, and slacker will update the cached stations playlist each time I do. I think it conserves some battery power as well.
    I'm sure it does conserve quite a bit of batter since your not constantly "streaming" OTA
    02-10-09 10:11 PM
    Does it automatically start to cache when you are plugged in, or do you have to open the launcher icon that is stored on the memory card?
    02-11-09 07:15 AM
    Does it automatically start to cache when you are plugged in, or do you have to open the launcher icon that is stored on the memory card?
    I'm not real sure, but the only time I cached a station I done it before I was sync'd and it told me that next time I sync'd it would cache. You will know if its doing it because it will pop-up a download window similar to when you download something to your computer.....
    02-11-09 09:25 AM
    This is an awesome feature of Slacker. I've heard about this, but didnt really understand.

By far a great feature for BB owners!
    03-09-09 10:33 PM
    do you have to open the launcher icon that is stored on the memory card?

umm...i don't understand that question but you should have a launcher on your berry as a drive on "My Computer". so i think yes, to that question. you also have to enable mass media storage on your berry (options, media card).

caching makes the station buffer less for me. i have cached "top hits" and the "alternative hits" and they play a lot smoother than they did when they weren't cached. before, every song would buffer for about 10 secs where it would kind of stutter and then smooth out.
    03-10-09 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD