Which one is best? I've heard more about Pandora than Slacker, but both make the top 25 best downloads on App World. Slacker came loaded on my phone, but I'm wondering if I should delete it and add Pandora instead.

Any opinions are welcome.
    08-10-09 10:15 PM
    Since you have Verizon, any attempt to delete Slacker results in it being pushed back to your phone (at least from my experience). All I could do was hide it from my apps.

As far as Pandora, I adore it. I've used it on several occasions (reason being I still carry my iPod around) and have found the sound quality to be better than that of Slacker.

In the end, it's up to you. Personally I like Pandora better, but TBH I haven't given Slacker a lot of time.

Good luck!
    08-10-09 10:19 PM
    I use pandora, but thats mostly because of my experience using it on a pc and my pre-existing account.

ive never used slacker, but noticed vzw is pushing the service books to tours now. it doesnt install until you click on the app i believe.
    08-10-09 10:20 PM
    I've noticed that slacker's song selection is quite a bit bigger. Pandora usually picked great songs but repeated fairly often. Slacker is more hit and miss, but I've found a lot of new music I love through it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 11:41 PM
    Slacker itself isn't pushed to your Verizon phone, only a link to download and install it. I personally use Pandora. Give both a shot, it really depends on your music style. I find Pandora to have a better selection of the music I listen to. Plus, I've been using Pandora on the web forever and had my stations configured the way I wanted. So logging in to my account from the phone app made it that much sweeter
    08-10-09 11:47 PM
    Pandoraaaaaaaaaa
    08-11-09 12:10 AM
    i use slacker radio.
    08-11-09 02:12 AM
    I like both. Slacker has some cool stations like "XXXX hits" replace XXXX with genre of your choice.

Pandora, well most people know that it is very good at "predicting" what songs you want to hear.

My major gripe with Slacker is that whenever it is interrupted (like a phone call) it restarts playback. Err...how hard is it to make it pause and then continue once the call is over (like Pandora)?
    08-11-09 02:18 AM
    I like both. Thing is with Slacker if you have any sort of sound profile on and you get a ring it restarts the sound from the beginning. It gets very annoying after a while. Other that and the long pauses that Slacker has at times, I love them both.

08-11-09 03:44 AM
    I have tried both and both are good but pandora will never match the sound quality, the great menu of songs to select and all the freeze ups that I experience with pandora so many times. pandora kept repeating the same songs after a while! not so with slacker radio! slacker has so much more to select! and lets not forget the cache!

08-11-09 04:46 AM
    I use pandora. But after using it and closing, my signal drops from 1xEV to 1xev.

08-11-09 06:29 AM
    Pandora hands down... but I have both, just like Pandora better..
    08-11-09 06:32 AM
    Pandora - I like the ease of use, song selections, and sound quality.
    08-11-09 07:02 AM
    I give Slacker the slight edge but I have and use both on my Tour. Slacker has the station caching which is a cook feature for airplanes and other places with little or no network signal (since we don't have WiFi). Also, I love the feature on Slacker where you can look up the album review and see the playing artist bio. Slacker has a nicer looking UI too IMO. Well, it sounds like Slacker has more than a slight edge.

08-11-09 07:18 AM
    I use them both. My very brief assessment below.

Pandora:
    Pros
    Better song selection/prediction (my personal preference)
    Unlimited number of song skips

Con
    Only 40 hours per month free, $.99 after

Slacker:
    Pros
    On board album/artist details
    Station caching ability

Con
    Limited to 6 song skips per session

Here's a great head to head review of both found here on CB:

Slacker vs. Pandora – Internet Radio Smackdown | CrackBerry.com
    08-11-09 07:56 AM
    I like Slacker but it freezes more often than Pandora and I use these programs while working out so it's annoying when it stops.

For the moment, I'm sticking with Pandora.
    08-11-09 08:15 AM
    I like them both, but Pandora has got to fix the repeats as others mentioned. And also Pandora gives you too much of the same band over and over and I have been training it for two weeks,

I think with Slacker I can dial it in more to more explicit sound tastes instead of the veering you get with Pandora at times.

I use them both and since Pandora is only 40hrs a month free, at work I do Pandora in the morning and Slacker in the afternoon.
    08-11-09 09:04 AM
    Pandora. I get good songs every time. Slacker's algorithm is mediocre and the app froze my 8320 up badly. I should try it now with my 8900 and see if it's still buggy.
    08-11-09 11:26 AM
    Slacker is too poppy for my tastes. Pandora actually learns your tastes much more thoroughly than Slacker. I like Slacker's caching feature, but the app itself is horrifically bloated.

Also, Pandora doesn't repeat songs too often if you're good about creating complex stations with lots of seed songs, a few seed artists, and tons of thumbs-up/downs. If you give it enough ammo to really cater to your tastes, it's pretty unbelievable. It beats the pants off of Slacker IMO.
    08-11-09 03:07 PM
    I would say pandora but, seriously, its like its determined to put deathcab in every playlist I make. If I create my playlist online with slaker, I can ban an entire artist, a feature sadly missing from pandora, web or app.

08-11-09 03:18 PM
    They both work about the same for me. Initially I had the worst problems getting onto Pandora but that seems to have been resolved for a few months.

I feel like there's a lot more variety on Slacker when it's shuffling thru similar artists or styles for me. I like this because it's a great way to get acquainted with music that's new to me. Pandora does a good job, but it seems almost like it gets looped sometimes, just like regular radio where they play some songs way too much.

But they're both good.

IHeartRadio has some good stuff on it too, by the way.
    08-11-09 03:39 PM
    If I create my playlist online with slaker, I can ban an entire artist, a feature sadly missing from pandora, web or app.
    It's not missing at all. Thumbs down an artist twice and he/she/they are banned from that station.

Q: When should I give a song "Thumbs Down?" What happens when I give "Thumbs Down" to a song?

When you don't want to hear a song on a particular station, regardless of whether or not you like it in general, click the "Thumbs Down" icon in the lower left corner of the song tile, below the album art.

A thumbs-down vote has several effects:
    • The song will stop playing, if there are any of the remaining "six skips per hour" available on that particular station (this limit is per station, one a rolling per-hour basis). [For more information on this licensing requirement, please see: FAQ ]
    • The song will be deleted permanently from that particular station's playlist.
    • If this is the second "Thumbs Down" given to that specific artist on that particular station, the artist will be banned from playing on this station in the future. [For more information about banning an artist from a station, please see: FAQ ]
    • A new set of songs with a different musical emphasis will begin to play.
    If you want to see how far ahead of Slacker Pandora really is, read the rest of the FAQ: http://blog.pandora.com/faq/
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 08-11-09 at 03:42 PM.
    08-11-09 03:40 PM
    Pandora user here. I have tried to use slacker, but it didn't like how I just have a 256MB card in my curve. I need to find my 2GB card somewhere.

08-11-09 03:42 PM
    Slacker is too poppy for my tastes. Pandora actually learns your tastes much more thoroughly than Slacker. I like Slacker's caching feature, but the app itself is horrifically bloated.

Also, Pandora doesn't repeat songs too often if you're good about creating complex stations with lots of seed songs, a few seed artists, and tons of thumbs-up/downs. If you give it enough ammo to really cater to your tastes, it's pretty unbelievable. It beats the pants off of Slacker IMO.
    The bloat on Slacker is ridiculous. 1.5 MB. That's an enormous amount on the older devices running 4.5. I like Pandora because it's lightweight. It's around 200 KB which is great. Slacker's song algorithm is mediocre. Most of the time it would play something that Pandora would never have played for me.
    08-11-09 03:46 PM
    Wow great, I was just thinking which radio app ppl thought was best. Personally I have been using slacker and believe I will stay with it. I will not pay per hour for radio, and I absolutely HATE radios that are very repetitive. And since I've never used pandora, I don't know if it has t ability to search a specific song and/or artist.

Slacker all the way.

08-11-09 03:56 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD