Hey all-

I have been using the greatest app of all time "Slacker Audio" and loving it. But I have a question. Can someone explain to me how the caching actually works? I mean, I let it stream for like 5 mins. the other day, then shut it down and did the whole process to acquire the cache from the net. Everything worked beautifully. My question is, "if i only let it cache for 5 mins., how did I get over 5hrs of music with no end so far or repeats?" and I wasn't streaming it for 5hrs. I had no service and it worked with absolutley no problem.

I'm not complaining. I love it! I just want to understand how it works.

Thanks.
    07-06-09 03:24 PM
    Not sure how it works, but am I the only one who had to STOP caching stations on Slacker because of the insane amount of memory it hogs up? I deleted all cached stations thinking maybe I just saved too many, so I only synced the "Top Pop" station onto my memory card and each time I sync it, it eats up more and more (HUNDREDS of megabytes, now closing in on 1gb!).

I still have Slacker, but now primarily use Pandora.
    07-06-09 03:47 PM
    Not sure how it works, but am I the only one who had to STOP caching stations on Slacker because of the insane amount of memory it hogs up? I deleted all cached stations thinking maybe I just saved too many, so I only synced the "Top Pop" station onto my memory card and each time I sync it, it eats up more and more (HUNDREDS of megabytes, now closing in on 1gb!).

I still have Slacker, but now primarily use Pandora.
    I'm pretty sure I seen on the slacker forums that you have to either go into your BB and delete the old caches or use the "reset slacker" function. It said something about the previous caches are not overwritten. Sorry I can't provide any reference. I've only been using slacker for a couple days. Maybe somebody else?
    07-06-09 05:40 PM
    Shameless Bump...But seriously? No one can explain this?
    07-08-09 11:24 AM
    Essentially what the caching is downloading that station. It only saves I think around 100 songs if I remember right and downloads each one and stores it on the actual blackberry. Once you go into slacker and that station is cached it pulls the it off the blackberry with the list of songs and artists located in an .xml file located on the blackberry. . The actual song files and artists are not in .mp3 format or .wma format fromw hat I have seen anyways. They are in a format that only slacker understands and then plays the song when launched through slacker as so people cannot just take and listen to the files. I am not 100% sure this is how it works but this is just from what I have seen poking around in the Slacker folders. Hope that makes some sense
    Last edited by bigguy_132; 07-10-09 at 08:43 AM.
    07-10-09 08:34 AM
    The only issue I've had with caching stations is when I want to stop caching. When you uncache a station, slacker does not delete it from the SD card. If you continue to cache/uncache different stations, you will definitely eat up all the space on you SD card. I've had to physically delete the cache directories on the SD card and start over after a while. It's the only downside I've discovered to slacker - they really need to fix this issue.
    07-10-09 09:37 AM
    It depends on your desktop's internet connection. Since songs are less than 2mb each, the typical user can probably cache an hour's worth of music in 5 minutes.
    07-10-09 10:44 AM
    The only issue I've had with caching stations is when I want to stop caching. When you uncache a station, slacker does not delete it from the SD card. If you continue to cache/uncache different stations, you will definitely eat up all the space on you SD card. I've had to physically delete the cache directories on the SD card and start over after a while. It's the only downside I've discovered to slacker - they really need to fix this issue.
    Dilbert--I'm having the same problem. I told it to uncache a station and it said it would remove it from my cache'd stations and delete it once I re-connected my BB to my PC. When I did that, it said it removed the station but it actually duplicated it because my available free space on my media card decreased. So it ate up my available space even thought it "deleted" it. How did you delete the cache directories on your SD card? The only thing I've been able to do when I ran out of space was use the "Reset Slacker" option and that really sucks.
    07-14-09 11:19 AM
    i connected my BB to my computer via USB cable and using Windows Explorer deleted the directory "\slacker\media\cache" on my SD card. Unfortunately, this meant that the next sync I performed had to reload ALL my caching stations, but it was the only way I could figure out how to reclaim the unused space.
    07-14-09 11:29 AM
    i connected my BB to my computer via USB cable and using Windows Explorer deleted the directory "\slacker\media\cache" on my SD card. Unfortunately, this meant that the next sync I performed had to reload ALL my caching stations, but it was the only way I could figure out how to reclaim the unused space.
    Cool. Thanks for the quick reply! I'll do that next time. IDK if you ever used the "reset slacker" option but it's crappy! It resets everything. So you have to tell it again what songs you love/hate all that all over again. Now I can just do what you did and re-DL my stations without having to lose my personalized content.

Thanks again!
    07-14-09 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD