Hi guys, I have tried to search this and I am running out of time. I deplou back to Iraq in 2 months and would like to use my next phone to talk to friends and family (gf too). I would like to know if anyone has used this phone to talk over WIFI with SKYPE or any other service. If you have done it please give me some tips. I guess I could go to the BOLD I have heard of it but still not sure how to go about it. I appreciate your help and if anyone needs a Sherpa ride in Iraq just let me know.

Thanks
    06-21-09 06:31 PM
    I'm on wap and can't see your provider. If it is TMo, I believe you can sign up for UMA calling at 9.95 a month, then use UMA calling via WiFi to call home without long distance charges or using plan minutes. When you're on the phone, obviously you need to. Not walk around and lose your WiFi connection. Check with TMo's blackberry customer service to be sure - and check with a couple of them to be sure, lol.

My wife and I have T-Mobile because she gets service in the middle east - Kuwait, Qatar, UAE and some parts of Iraq. No service in Afghanistan though - she uses a Nokia N-96 and doesn't have UMA calling, but it doesn't matter because her company pays her phone charges. She goes several times a year as a contract employee.

Good luck over there!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 06-21-09 at 07:08 PM.
    06-21-09 07:05 PM
    Right now I am with AT&T, do you know if she had been to Balad? AT&T's customer serrvice is not that helpful, nothing against them but long hold times and clueless service reps. I will have to check in to T-mobile, my contract is up July 1st. Thanks for the help though I will have to do some more homework.
    06-22-09 05:32 PM
    Berries wont work for you unless you in iraq unless you want to pay roaming end up paying though your nose.

inquire if local providers support the BB handset before you take.

Option: Buy a used Nokia n95 music edition. They go pretty cheap nowadys and quite a stable phone. it does the all the things you're asking with minimum frills. voice on fring/skype works fine on it.

regards
    06-23-09 12:50 AM
    the OP is asking about use over wifi... and a voip/skype application.
    consider it a poor mans roaming option... no carrier involved...

hopefully someone can help the GI!

Berries wont work for you unless you in iraq unless you want to pay roaming end up paying though your nose.

inquire if local providers support the BB handset before you take.

Option: Buy a used Nokia n95 music edition. They go pretty cheap nowadys and quite a stable phone. it does the all the things you're asking with minimum frills. voice on fring/skype works fine on it.

regards
    06-23-09 10:19 AM
    the OP is asking about use over wifi... and a voip/skype application.
    consider it a poor mans roaming option... no carrier involved...

hopefully someone can help the GI!
    Yeah, that's the wifi info above - but he would need T-Mobile for it to work.
    06-23-09 11:26 AM
    Right now I am with AT&T, do you know if she had been to Balad? AT&T's customer serrvice is not that helpful, nothing against them but long hold times and clueless service reps. I will have to check in to T-mobile, my contract is up July 1st. Thanks for the help though I will have to do some more homework.
    Yeah, give T-Mobile a call. I'm not sure if you guys have WiFi in Balad, she's been there, but she can't talk about specifics of the bases she visits.
    06-23-09 11:28 AM
    F.Y.I.

Balad is one of the largest US bases in Iraq. As such, we do have WiFi all over the base. So, you could technically use T-mobiles UMA service to call back home, but you could also use Skype, Vonage, MagicJack, etc. I'm not sure why you need a cellular phone to reach back to US? Also, you could get a worldwide phone, with international cell from IRAQNA (Iraq's cell phone provider), and all incoming calls are free, including the ones from the states.

V/r,

Bobby
    07-17-09 06:52 PM
    I guess I am just going to try he skype and just purchase one of their phones. I didn't realize that VOIP was blocked on AT&T. I guess I really don't have to have the cell just wishful thinking. Anything to stay away from those phone lines and the 15 minute limit.......Thanks for all the help guys and if there is anyway to get it done I will try to figure it out, does anyone know how much a bb message cost from over there?
    07-20-09 12:57 PM
    As I've been deployed several times to Iraq, I can tell you a few things. If you have T-Mo and the HotSpot service, you can use your BB in Iraq. But, it will depend on where you're deployed. Camp Striker has Wi-Fi, as well as Joint Base Balad. The MUNI service in Balad will run about $60 (AAFES pays on behalf of the soldiers).

TS2 offers a wide range of satellite solutions for deployed soldiers.

There are many other Wi-Fi solutions being rolled out and implemented as we speak.
    07-20-09 01:38 PM
    Calling out to the Middle East or Afghanistan from the US or Canada on your BB? Try GuerrillaTel.com's app. It's awesome.

Unfortunately, it's not set up for roaming.
    07-23-09 11:52 AM
    If you can manage to get a Google Voice invitation, that would be a great step for you as the LD rates are incredible. You can see my thread here for details.
    07-23-09 11:55 AM
    what is gv rates for ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD