So I have a Blackberry Curve 8520 on AT&T, and I'd really, really like to be able to use Skype mobile on it. I know that on their site they advertise that such a product exists for the Verizon 8530, and I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to run that software on my device. Except Skype refuses to let me download it. Has anyone had success at getting Skype mobile on AT&T, or has Skype locked it down so that for some stupid contractual reason only Verizon users can get it?
    06-10-10 12:49 PM
    As far as I know us on AT&T can't DL it I have tried just as you have and had no luck have yet to see anyone saying they got it on their AT&T phone
    06-10-10 01:11 PM
    As it looks Verizon owns Skype or have good contracts with skype, because Skype is gonna start Charging the Iphone Users at the end of the year. Only Verizon Users are able to use Skype Free on 3G Skype to Skype of course. By the end of the year it maybe release for other Devices and Companies but with a Small Charge.
    06-10-10 01:14 PM
    @ DJ-OBZ okay thanks for that info
    06-10-10 01:23 PM
    As it looks Verizon owns Skype or have good contracts with skype, because Skype is gonna start Charging the Iphone Users at the end of the year. Only Verizon Users are able to use Skype Free on 3G Skype to Skype of course. By the end of the year it maybe release for other Devices and Companies but with a Small Charge.
    Thats not true. If you own a nokia s60 device theres an official skype client out that works over your 3g network or wifi and its free. Theres also plenty of other apps such as Fring and Nimbuzz that do skypeout over 3g on symbian, fring even does video skype calls over 3g.

Anyways, the verizon app isnt a true voip client. Its basically like iskoot and all those other apps. They made a deal with verizon for this app. Its really nothing special. But it relies on the verizon network for its calls, so thats why you cant use it since youre on at&t.
    For the longest time people have been saying voip isnt possible on BBOS. But recently the blackvoib team has proven that wrong with their sip client. So who knows, you might start seeing proper voip apps out that support skype at some point on BB. Im hoping nimbuzz adds it to their bb client.
    06-10-10 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD