Hello,

Is there anyway i can get Skype to work on my Sprint Bold? When i open it it says on Verizon Phones can use it...... Please Help!

Thank You,
    Clement
    08-25-10 08:42 AM
    Not at this time. Verizon only.
    08-25-10 10:01 AM
    I don't understand why some carriers limit functionality that is developed for a device, when others have seen fit to enable it for their versions of the exact same device.

I travel frequently for work, out of range of normal cellular networks, but almost always have access to a satellite-based internet connection with an integrated WIFI network. My coworkers are able to make free Skype voice calls on their Skype supported handsets (carrier other than SPRINT) as if they're just down the block from loved ones back home. Because I'm tied to the Sprint (or LIMP) network, I don't have this option.

As a consumer, I just want the full functionality of the device I purchased. Why is that too much to ask for?

Sprint, sign the contract with Skype - MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!

-Frustrated BB9650 Sprint user-
    08-25-10 11:01 PM
    Sprint doesn't really value BB's, so I'd be surprised if they ever change that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 11:08 PM
    The skype mobile uses a number to call, its not data or voip anyways. It calls the access number then the skype screen name, and if we use our skype to call a mobile munber we are billed our regular rates and a but load for international calls. All and all the vzw skype is lame.

08-26-10 01:22 AM
    Sprint doesn't really value BB's
    LOL!! BB's have been huge for Sprint. They value them because they bring in millions in extra services fees that they otherwise wouldn't be collecting.

08-26-10 02:08 AM
    Yet they push market the Instinct line, or the Pre line, or certain android phones...

Yet they never go for exclusive BBs and also don't get all of the BBs that aren't even exclusive to another carrier.

Sprint invests less into BB's than both VZ and AT&T.

08-26-10 02:18 AM
    Yet they push market the Instinct line, or the Pre line, or certain android phones...

Yet they never go for exclusive BBs and also don't get all of the BBs that aren't even exclusive to another carrier.

Sprint invests less into BB's than both VZ and AT&T.

Yet Sprint was first to release the latest and greatest BB RIM made(9650). That's exclusive. They were pushing their data plans for the last few years and BBs were and ARE huge users of their data products.

Verizon likely invests more into BBs because, tada, they are the largest carrier! And AT&T has nearly twice as many customers/subscribers as Sprint. Should we be surprised that both invest more on BBs??

I fail to see how getting exclusive rights to a BB means you do not value the sales of the BBs you do carry. Certainly the Curve line(83xx and 85xx) has been huge for Sprint. As far as I can tell, no carrier has carried all BB product lines. Why would they?

You don't like Sprint, fine, go cry/vent in their own dedicated forum. Don't come into this forum and start carrier wars.

08-26-10 03:27 AM
    Sigh, that's not even what exclusive means...

I take it you have no idea what you are talking about. And if you think the Sprint forum on this board is the place to vent (if that's what I was even doing) you obviously have not been there....

08-26-10 11:04 AM
    Oh yeah and Sprint sucks and they kill baby seals to make their leather phone holsters.

08-26-10 11:06 AM
    Sigh, that's not even what exclusive means...

I take it you have no idea what you are talking about. And if you think the Sprint forum on this board is the place to vent (if that's what I was even doing) you obviously have not been there....

Oh, sorry for not using the version of the word 'exclusive' that you were wanting/expecting. My fault for thinking that being the only carrier to have a particular phone, and in this case RIM's flagship device, for any amount of time and being the first to make it available, neither of which fits with your definition of 'exclusive'. Oh, and that scenario doesn't contradict at all your contention that Sprint doesn't value its BB market segment.</sarcasm>

You really don't pay much attention to posts. Despite Sprint's situation with the 9650 not qualifying for YOUR version of 'exclusive' you failed to provide any shred of evidence to support your contention/whining/bashing that not having an exclusive contract to carry a particular device MEANS that you don't value your BB customers. And lets be clear, Sprint doesn't value devices it values customers. Lets refresh your memory, if in fact you actually read and understood what I wrote in the first place(seems doubtful based on your reply):

I fail to see how getting exclusive rights to a BB means you do not value the sales of the BBs you do carry.
    Perhaps not worded correctly since you/we are talking about a so-called failure to get exclusive rights to a BB being indicative of a lack of consideration for a particular market segment responsible for a good portion of Sprint's revenue. So, its seems only fair for you to produce your trenchant analysis or perhaps insider information regarding Sprint's apathy towards its BB customers. A little enlightenment on your part seems justified considering you have given little support to your protestations. Something like internal memos from Sprint exposing their active disregard or neglect shown towards their BB smartphone customers. Or maybe you could work on explaining how a company who has nearly half the subscribers of the next highest(AT&T), let alone the highest(Verizon), is supposed to have the market power, influence and cash reserves to compete for an exclusive deal with RIM over one of their devices. Again, I suppose none of that contradicts your position(laff). Snarky hand-waving explanations which you seem adept at providing that ignores those facts and instead applies an emotional response to a company with revenue in the billions won't suffice. Certainly a daunting task to fit into your busy schedule of averaging 14 posts every single day for the last two years.

Until that time, the rest of us who try to think things through rationally, logically and view the bigger picture will take into consideration Sprint's lack of competitive advantage, smaller size, less cash etc into our equation for reasoning why Sprint doesn't have exclusive deals on any of RIM's products(as far as I know).

Lets summarize:
    • You say Sprint doesn't value its BB customers yet provided almost nothing which supports this.
    • You say Verizon and AT&T spend more on BBs than Sprint as an argument for your contention that they don't value their BB customers yet Sprint is about half the size or less than EITHER. So it should come as no surprise that they spend less and doesn't appear indicative of what you claim.
    • You say Sprint hasn't gone for an exclusive BB to make your point. See previous bullet.(note: Sprint's total market share is about 1/3rd or LESS than the others)
    • The fact that Sprint was the FIRST and for a short time the ONLY carrier to have RIMs flagship device seems to contradict your 'no love for BBs' claim. Why would they do that if they didn't value their BB market segment??? Funny how a company with no love for BBs manages to pull that off, isn't it?

BTW, if you don't like Sprint so much and think they don't value your business, why don't you leave? Verizon or AT&T would be happy to sell you one of their 'exclusive' BBs.

PS: things like this are the things we might look for from YOU to prove your point. However, these seem to contradict you.

Sprint Reveals 2010 Smartphone Lineup [Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, WiMAX Phones Mentioned; App Store in the Works] � TFTS � Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

Right now Sprint has the Palm Pre and the Pixi, the HTC Hero, various Samsung Instinct phones and quite a few BlackBerry smartphones to offer.
    Sprint intends to launch plenty of Android and BlackBerry phones next year although we don�t have any names yet.
    Sprint's Business Markets Group (BMG) continues to emerge as B2B market leader - MarketWatch

Expanded product line. Strong demand by businesses for Sprint smartphones like HTC EVO(TM) 4G and BlackBerry(R) Curve(TM) and Blackberry Bold(TM) contributed to Sprint's positive net postpaid subscriber growth of 136,000 on the CDMA network.
    So yeah, maybe I have no idea what I am talking about but perhaps Sprint or the people who wrote those news articles do.
    08-27-10 05:20 PM
    I would but sorry i didn't even read all that you posted... Perhaps someone else will find it interesting and convincing.
    08-27-10 05:27 PM
    I would but sorry i didn't even read all that you posted... Perhaps someone else will find it interesting and convincing.
    No apology necessary. I am not at all surprised by your lack of ability to respond. In fact, I expected it as it helps prove my point. Thanks.
    08-27-10 05:39 PM
    Yes, absense of response makes you correct, not your actual correctness.
    08-27-10 05:41 PM
    Yes, absense of response makes you correct, not your actual correctness.
    The irony of this coming from the person who has no response. If I am wrong, prove it. If you are correct, prove it. That is all there is to it.

I have a vested interest in this juicy(and supposedly 'correctly' attributed) information about Sprint not valuing its BB market segment. I am a subscriber to their service. Oh well, I didn't expect your responses to be helpful to anyone else but yourself and that can be ascertained from your very first one here. *shrug*

Piece of advice: "Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." 10,000+ posts. Enough said.
    Last edited by lilzeus; 08-27-10 at 05:51 PM.
    08-27-10 05:48 PM
    Holy crap. Mods, lock this thread, already.

Man, did this ever become a flame war... Waaaaay O.T.
    08-27-10 06:07 PM
    all this fighting about a company Sprint that sucks??? we all know Sprint is not the best, no need to argue over a crappy carrier
    08-27-10 06:10 PM
    It's not really fighting, nor is it a flame war. I say Sprint sucks (on certain levels) because I have Sprint, and it's failing on those specific levels.

If people can't handle that, then perhaps they should close their eyes.
    08-27-10 06:20 PM
    It's not really fighting, nor is it a flame war. I say Sprint sucks (on certain levels) because I have Sprint, and it's failing on those specific levels.

If people can't handle that, then perhaps they should close their eyes.
    lol I laugh again as I did on your first post here. Look, you got issues with 'specific levels' or 'certain levels' of Sprint's service, fine, but where do you suppose those should be voiced/discussed?

Your gripe/whining/complaint/contention about Sprint's so-called apathy towards its BB market segment was/is extremely general and NOT "specific". Try staying consistent.

Finally, you don't have to tell me that Sprint's service isn't perfect, I already know that, I too am a subscriber/customer. But no carrier is perfect. No new information there.

The point of the debate was that you are using this little chip on your shoulder to fabricate things in order to vent your frustration. There isn't a shred of evidence which supports your contention that 'Sprint doesn't value its Blackberry customers'. It was, in fact, pretty silly to say such a thing in light of the fact that they just obtained and were the first to release RIM's flagship Blackberry product. Not just some new color for the Curve or an entry level model. The 9650 was and arguably still is RIM's best device.

For as much as you seem to think it wasn't arguing or flaming, you sure fooled me.

I take it you have no idea what you are talking about.
    That's a flame job if ever I saw one.

All of your points were moot or refuted in light of current events and easily verifiable information/facts, you offered none of either of those things to support your case.

Sprint doesn't get exclusive Blackberries because what bargaining chip do they have to use with RIM compared to their much larger competitors?

Sprint to RIM: 'Give us the 9650<or insert any model here> exclusively or we will drop your products.' Yeah, RIM would show them to the door. Sprint to RIM: 'Give us the 9650 exclusively and we will guarantee you X in sales.' Uh huh, riiiiiight. And Sprint has what portion of the market share again???

Its like a person who works at McDonalds walking into a Mercedes dealership and making all kinds of demands for deals when they can't even afford 1/2 of one of their cars. Clearly your frustrations are misplaced.

And your little 'close their eyes' comment is hilariously ironic!

To the OP, here is the answer you should have gotten from papped:

'Sprint doesn't have enough market influence/clout to wrench Skype away from Verizon's firm grip. I would be surprised if they ever did get it.'

There, back on topic.
    08-31-10 07:20 PM
    Except that skype isn't the only voip option, sooooo... There goes that excuse...
    08-31-10 07:37 PM
    Except that skype isn't the only voip option, sooooo... There goes that excuse...
    This is an exception to what exactly? lol Skype just happens to be the one which was asked about and the topic of discussion. Soooo...again, your point is moot or utterly irrelevant(if there really is a point there).

Maybe you should take up your 'point' with abtjason:

The skype mobile uses a number to call, its not data or voip anyways. It calls the access number then the skype screen name, and if we use our skype to call a mobile munber we are billed our regular rates and a but load for international calls. All and all the vzw skype is lame.
    08-31-10 07:45 PM
    That was known months before Skype released on VZ. So what is there to take up with anyone?
    08-31-10 07:48 PM
    Nobody here is surprised that VZ does not allow UMA over wifi... Nor will they. Nor would Sprint if they had Skype.
    08-31-10 07:53 PM
    Wow...you guys really have a lot of time on your hands.

09-01-10 07:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD