Ok so I have a question that may be a little nave, but here we go. So my sister's husband is taking a job in Afghanistan for 6 months. They are both currently with vzw and eligible for upgrades. If they upgrade to an intl phone will BIS work abroad? Will the new skype app work for them to be able to use their phones to skype to skype for free? Would he need a new sim in Afghanistan? Take it easy on me if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 02:29 PM
    If he upgrades to an international phone (Storm 2 or Tour), he can have the phone unlocked purchase a local Afghani sim card, or use Verizon's international plan. The Afghani SIM may not have BIS, so he might be stuck with the Verizon (can be expensive). Also, I'd double check that Skype can be used on any network OTHER then Verizon if he choses the local SIM option, I don't think it's capable yet but that needs to be double checked.
    03-29-10 02:35 PM
    They will stay on VZW and if he gets the international plan he would not need a sim right??? I know calls can be expensive with this, but with skype he wouldn't be making "calls" as they would be voip. I think I have this pretty much figured out, but just want to make sure I'm not crazy. Thanks for the help.

03-29-10 02:39 PM
    No, he wouldn't need a SIM then. I'd just call and double check with Verizon that it would work overseas the way that they would like it too (in case it won't work internationally with that plan)
    03-29-10 02:44 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

03-29-10 02:47 PM
    It is my understanding that skype can only be used from a Verizon BB located in the US. (Canada? ) and so would not be available overseas.

Thanks for the advice.

03-29-10 03:29 PM
    Really? That's not exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the input though. I am going to go to the verizon store with them and see if we can get it straightened out. I will post what happens in a few days.

03-29-10 03:44 PM
    The Verizon BlackBerry Skype application can only be used on the Verizon network in the US. At least currently.

It cannot be used outside the US and cannot be used on WiFi.
    03-29-10 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD