Update....though it seems to be operating fine, it does feel like it is a little laggy compared to the prior version....
    02-03-11 12:51 PM
    guys can someone confirm this.......

If I install this, I can call my friends in Asia on their blackberry phones with the same application for FREE?
    02-03-11 03:57 PM
    guys can someone confirm this.......

If I install this, I can call my friends in Asia on their blackberry phones with the same application for FREE?
    From the Skype website:
    Skype-to-Skype calls
    Talk to anyone else on Skype, anywhere in the world, for Free
    02-03-11 04:01 PM
    On a slightly different topic, would anyone be able to tell me if just using the text or IM portion of Slype Mobile is much of a data hog? My daughter is on the 15MB for $15 plan with Verizon. She knows that video and audio is not an option as far data use, however I am wondering about the IM portion? Would that be fairly data-friendly or would it also suck through data usage in a hurry?

Thanks!
    According to Versizons website you need to be on an $29.99 or above data plan to get the Skype App.

"While there are no monthly subscription fees for Skype mobile, Skype mobile is currently only available on select BlackBerry� and Android� 3G Smartphones with a data feature starting at $29.99. "
    02-03-11 04:09 PM
    For those of you who actually got this Skype version 1.4.0.7 to work and are using a Storm 2 9550, what OS are you running? I am running 5.0.0.841 and I am finding it impossible to get this to work. I can get Skype installed, but like the other user mentioned I just get a white screen and my phone just locks up. One time I let it sit there 30 minutes, just in case it really did take that long. I have tried battery pulls, uninstall/reinstall, EVERYTHING!!! I called and spoke with Verizon Help(less) Desk and they said it should work fine but were no help in actually getting it working. They also told me it would NOT work if I had installed OS .1015. However, I noticed some else in this forum got it installed with that OS.

I then emailed Skype support and they kept telling me I needed to install "Feature Pack II". No one knows what that is?

Here is the last email I got from Skype:
    -------------------------------------
    We understand your concern regarding your Skype application Feature Pack II.

We apologize for the comfusion about this matter.

Feature Pack II, is the version of features that you will be able to have upon downloading the latest version for Blackberry phones. It is a Skype term that it is the version of an improved feature of Skype to the Verizon Blackberry mobile phones. There are features from the previous version that was improved and some issues was fixed on this version of features.
    --------------------------------------

What does that mean? The e-mail before that the support person said this:
    --------------------------------------
    Please note that Skype Mobile 1.4.0.7 for BlackBerry will work with 4.5 - 6.0 Operating System. Also, you must download Verizon Feature Pack II so that the application will work.

Please download the applications from here:
    Entertainment and Apps from Verizon Wireless - Entertainment & Apps

---------------------------------------

There was NO "Feature Pack II" on this link I could find.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!
    02-03-11 05:36 PM
    If you get the error that Skype is unavailable for your 9650, try the link below. Can't remember where I found it, but it's the only way I can get updates or reinstall Skype.

http://mobile.vzw.com/download/Bourb...ype_mobile.jad

No issues with the new version on my Bold.
    02-03-11 05:47 PM
    If you get the error that Skype is unavailable for your 9650, try the link below. Can't remember where I found it, but it's the only way I can get updates or reinstall Skype.

http://mobile.vzw.com/download/Bourb...ype_mobile.jad

No issues with the new version on my Bold.
    I have a 9550 but figured I would try anyway. Could not be worse then any of the other attempts. Unfortunately, same result...Installed just fine but when you click the open the Skype app the phone freezes until you pull the battery.
    02-03-11 05:58 PM
    quick question:

I've wanted a skype app for ages - just for the chat part of it not the voice, all the 3rd party apps are either crap or costs lots of money.

Am i right in thinking that this is the only app available for the BlackBerry and its only available for 1 carrier in 1 country?

Thanks
    02-04-11 06:08 AM
    I have a question too. I've downloaded this app on my bb and my wifes, however we have yet to use it. I was going to look into this a little more, but my question is:
    Is this a free service? We both have Verizon so I know it'll work, but will we be able to "video chat" back and forth? Obviously there's not a camera in the front of our berrys but it would still be cool to see my wife and daughter when I travel. Is that what this app does and is that included in the "free" service?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-11 07:55 AM
    I have a question too. I've downloaded this app on my bb and my wifes, however we have yet to use it. I was going to look into this a little more, but my question is:
    Is this a free service? We both have Verizon so I know it'll work, but will we be able to "video chat" back and forth? Obviously there's not a camera in the front of our berrys but it would still be cool to see my wife and daughter when I travel. Is that what this app does and is that included in the "free" service?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your Skype-to-Skype IM's and calls would be free. No video options on the Skype for Verizon Blackberry!

One other thing to remember is that it will ONLY work in the USA.
    02-04-11 06:14 PM
    quick question:

I've wanted a skype app for ages - just for the chat part of it not the voice, all the 3rd party apps are either crap or costs lots of money.

Am i right in thinking that this is the only app available for the BlackBerry and its only available for 1 carrier in 1 country?

Thanks
    Skype for BlackBerry is only available for certain model Verizon BlackBerry devices. If all you want is a chat app, you might want to look at GTalk. It is free and as far as I know runs on all BlackBerry devices from all carriers.
    02-04-11 07:07 PM
    Your Skype-to-Skype IM's and calls would be free. No video options on the Skype for Verizon Blackberry!

One other thing to remember is that it will ONLY work in the USA.
    So, seriously, what's the point of having Skype if I can't see video of wifey and baby when I'm away? I can just use bbm, mms and regular talking. Skype sounds like a useless download.

02-05-11 03:33 AM
    So, seriously, what's the point of having Skype if I can't see video of wifey and baby when I'm away? I can just use bbm, mms and regular talking. Skype sounds like a useless download.

You pretty much said it exactly correct.

The only advantage is when you are not at your computer if someone calls your Skype ID it will ring your phone and you can answer there. You can also call other Skype members directly from your phone.

I did read something this past week around Skype "Coming Soon" with VIDEO on the Skype for Verizon app. But we all know how long "SOON" can be.
    02-05-11 07:18 AM
    When will the rest of the BB World see Skype?
    02-07-11 07:17 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD