Just wanted to let everyone know that Skype is coming to Blackberry in May!! I've been waiting for ages! no more IM+ rubbish! Check the link below.

it won't let me post links! but go to stuffmag.co.uk and click on all news!
    03-30-09 07:08 AM
    Or the actual source..

Skype announces service for iPhone, BlackBerry | Technology | Internet | Reuters

Front page article I wrote for it earlier today will hit the blogs soon as well.
    03-30-09 07:15 AM
    Very excited to be able to use my monthly Skype subscription on my new blackberry! The monthly unlimited subscription is an outstanding value.
    03-30-09 07:17 AM
    03-30-09 07:19 AM
    I cant wait
    03-30-09 08:19 AM
    Great news, I will be waiting for it!!
    03-30-09 09:03 AM
    The New York times article 30Mar09:

As with Skype on the computer, users of Skype on mobile phones can make calls and send instant messages to other Skype users free, and they pay lower rates than the phone companies would charge when they use Skype to call landlines or other mobile phones.

Apple will limit Skype’s use on the iPhone somewhat, allowing Skype calls to be made only when the device is connected to local Wi-Fi networks, and not allowing Skype calls over the data networks of its carrier partners like AT&T. Apple imposes the same restrictions on all voice applications in its App Store.

The article does not say how Blackberry's will operate, nor does it say if TM will allow the service through the BB unlimited data plans, tho it does imply that it will not be allowed.

From a practical standpoint: in the US you can purchase monthly Skype service unlimited to any land-line phone for: $2.95 US and Canada, and $9.95 worldwide. This will make the wireless phone company's unlimited plans obsolete.
    Last edited by mandony; 03-30-09 at 09:51 AM.
    03-30-09 09:31 AM
    I'm excited for it. I've never really used skype but I would definitely try it out on my blackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 10:13 AM
    The New York times article 30Mar09:

As with Skype on the computer, users of Skype on mobile phones can make calls and send instant messages to other Skype users free, and they pay lower rates than the phone companies would charge when they use Skype to call landlines or other mobile phones.

Apple will limit Skype�s use on the iPhone somewhat, allowing Skype calls to be made only when the device is connected to local Wi-Fi networks, and not allowing Skype calls over the data networks of its carrier partners like AT&T. Apple imposes the same restrictions on all voice applications in its App Store.

The article does not say how Blackberry's will operate, nor does it say if TM will allow the service through the BB unlimited data plans, tho it does imply that it will not be allowed.

From a practical standpoint: in the US you can purchase monthly Skype service unlimited to any land-line phone for: $2.95 US and Canada, and $9.95 worldwide. This will make the wireless phone company's unlimited plans obsolete.
    it's doubtful the app will run over the data network, it'll likely be WiFi only, which is perfect for when you're overseas and don't want to pay roaming charges but have a wifi connection.
    03-30-09 10:29 AM
    what is skype and how is it different from any other im or bbm??
    03-30-09 11:26 AM
    it's doubtful the app will run over the data network, it'll likely be WiFi only, which is perfect for when you're overseas and don't want to pay roaming charges but have a wifi connection.
    I'd be be very surprised if I'll be able to use this app in Europe to make calls for pennies per minute instead of $0.99/min as I do now.

03-30-09 12:21 PM
    what is skype and how is it different from any other im or bbm??
    Check out skype.com (owned by ebay)

This is an internet based voice over internet protocol.
    Using a computer with headset you can make free calls anywhere in the world to another skype member. Membership is free.

You can also purchase minutes (about USD0.025 per minute from computer to landline phones. You can also purchase unlimited US and Canada or unlimited to many parts of the world to landlines.

When you use WiFi with the BB you will be able to use the service.

Another way is to make an account and use something called a skype-togo. Using a phone to local number you can dial another land-line or a user on a computer.

Most of the times it works very well. Sometimes there is a slight echo and sometimes a drop off. But at the low prices you can recall for a better signal.

I call all the US unlimited for $2.95/month. International is $9.95/month
    03-30-09 06:26 PM
    cant wait...
    03-30-09 08:50 PM
    A couple of hours ago, Apple released Skype in the (Dutch) App Store. I saw it working on the iPhone of a friend of mine. It doesn't work when connected to WiFi. You can only use it over the data network.
    Maybe they don't want to **** off the network that sells the iPhone in the Netherlands? Just guessing off course...

EDIT: Woops, can't use that word. Ahm, let's use "annoy" instead. ;-)
    Last edited by Cancunlover; 03-31-09 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Bad language I guess...
    03-31-09 01:18 AM
    It doesn't work when connected to WiFi. You can only use it over the data network.
    So what you saw in Holland was opposite to the NYTimes article for the US issue:

Apple will limit Skype�s use on the iPhone somewhat, allowing Skype calls to be made only when the device is connected to local Wi-Fi networks, and not allowing Skype calls over the data networks of its carrier partners like AT&T. Apple imposes the same restrictions on all voice applications in its App Store.
    03-31-09 08:17 AM
    @mandony:
    I've got an update. I called T-Mobile (the dutch one off course) and they told me that they had a lot of complaints from customers who tried to use the new Skype app on their iPhones. It seems like it's only working when connected with WiFi, because they get some kind of error when they try to use it on the 3G network.
    T-Mobile officially states that the Skype app can be used on both networks (3G and WiFi). They're still trying to figure out why a lot of customers get the error on their iPhone when trying to use 3G instead of WiFi.
    Unfortunately, I don't own an iPhone anymore, otherwise I would have tried the app myself...
    Personally, I just hope that I can use Skype on my Storm. That's my only true concern for now. ;-)
    04-01-09 01:55 AM
    This is going to be a fantastic app great to use.

04-01-09 03:27 AM
    "Also, unlike the iPhone version just released, you won't need Wi-Fi to connect to Skype. Skype Lite will work over your BlackBerry's data plan, so long as you have a calling plan."

From CNET by Jessica Dolcourt (cant post)
    04-01-09 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD