Hey what happens if u download skype on to your BB? Is it possible to us your camera's video recorder and video chat?
    02-04-10 05:16 PM
    If you know where to get the skype app from blackberry, please share the information, we've all been looking for it...

Welcome to the forums and the eternal wait for the Skype app.
    02-04-10 06:45 PM
    If you know where to get the skype app from blackberry, please share the information, we've all been looking for it...

Welcome to the forums and the eternal wait for the Skype app.
    ahaha. I second this.
    02-04-10 07:28 PM
    am using iskoot. works pretty good as far as chat is concerned. i don't use skype calls that much, which i know is the biggest reason for skype's success.
    02-04-10 09:42 PM
    I was just talking to my FIL about this yesterday. Sure would like to have skype for my BB!
    02-04-10 11:14 PM
    im + skype 4.0. Google it. Any1 want to do a voip test. Let me know. I want to see how is the quality before I buy this app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 11:22 PM
    I've seen a few on Google but I'd like to know which skype app is the consensus standard (or one of them) before downloading.
    02-05-10 12:03 AM
    None of them do true voip except for im+ 4.0 skype for blackberry. Trust me. I'm an expert. If I'm wrong I will leave this forum forever. Ok?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 12:41 AM
    what a shame, this is almost making me want to switch to the iphone
    02-24-10 03:56 AM
    Ok.. so maybe I am missing something here. But what is the point of Skype on your BB? I mean for messenging you have multiple options with the bb such as BB msgr, aol msgr, yahoo msgr, just to name a few of the options.

VOIP? Seriously.. what would be the point there? Using the internet to make phone calls when you have a cell phone that is able to make calls anywhere? Sure maybe to save on your minutes?? But if you have a BB chances are you have some sort of data plan (cause why would you not with a BB) and if you have a monthly data plan surely your standard "calls" portion of your plan would carry enough minutes to not have to worry about saving a few minutes using a VOIP type app...

And video calls? This one really gets me... considering the camera is on the back of the phone, they would be able to see you but you would not be able to see them. Unless your constantly turning the phone over everytime it is your turn to talk......

like I said.. I must be really missing something here on this one cause I dont understand why anyone would be so anxious for such a feature. Espeacially terek307 stating that this would make them consider a switch to the iphone because of the lack of such an app? I just dont get the logic here.
    02-25-10 02:01 AM
    Because skype calls are free to other skype phones and not everybody in the world has unlimited calling plans. Voice calls where I live are 18-20 cents a minute, skype is free (if the other party has skype). Which would you choose? Bandwidth is also expensive here so if an app works over Wifi it's also big savings. And Wifi is much faster than any cellular connection so you get better voice quality than you would even on 3G.

Besides skype, VOIP is by far the cheapest way to make international calls. I use VOIP (not on my BB since it's not available) and I pay 2 cents a minute to call most countries. Some VOIP providers even give you free hours to major countries. VOIP is the future of calling and the cellular companies know it. They will have to join or die. Right now they're fighting tooth and nail which is the reason Skyp isn't available for BlackBerry and in America will only be on Verizon for some fixed period of time. The only question is when we're going to get VOIP clients for most phones.

I wouldn't switch to an iPhone for anything, we agree on that much I have skype on my Nokia and it has 2 cameras, one in back, one in front for video calls not that I would use that feature anyway. Just saying...
    02-25-10 03:02 AM
    Ok.. so maybe I am missing something here. But what is the point of Skype on your BB? I mean for messenging you have multiple options with the bb such as BB msgr, aol msgr, yahoo msgr, just to name a few of the options.

VOIP? Seriously.. what would be the point there? Using the internet to make phone calls when you have a cell phone that is able to make calls anywhere? Sure maybe to save on your minutes?? But if you have a BB chances are you have some sort of data plan (cause why would you not with a BB) and if you have a monthly data plan surely your standard "calls" portion of your plan would carry enough minutes to not have to worry about saving a few minutes using a VOIP type app...

And video calls? This one really gets me... considering the camera is on the back of the phone, they would be able to see you but you would not be able to see them. Unless your constantly turning the phone over everytime it is your turn to talk......

like I said.. I must be really missing something here on this one cause I dont understand why anyone would be so anxious for such a feature. Espeacially terek307 stating that this would make them consider a switch to the iphone because of the lack of such an app? I just dont get the logic here.

Try making an hour-long phone call at $2.29 per minute and maybe then you'll get the message. (That's the cost to make a call from India to the US on a US cellphone, for example.)

International roaming fees and per-minute calls are outrageously expensive -- that is why people are looking for ways to make VoIP calls via WiFi on their Blackberries
    Last edited by Go Blue; 02-27-10 at 07:49 AM.
    02-27-10 07:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD