I use skype all the time on my computer and when I got my BB I was sure that skype would have an app for it but apparently not, does anyone know if it will be available anytime soon?
    08-05-09 11:28 AM
    Skype Coming to BlackBerry Smartphones in May - About Skype

Skype Coming to BlackBerry Smartphones in May

LAS VEGAS, March 31, 2009 - Skype today announced that the lite version of Skype™, a 'thin' Skype client for mobile phones, will soon be available as a free download for BlackBerry® smartphones. A beta version will be available in May for the BlackBerry® Bold™ and BlackBerry® Curve™ smartphones, with support for other BlackBerry smartphones coming later.
    This was the official announcment from last May, still nothing.

Since then, eBay and the original developers have entered into court actions that may have resulted in the release being delayed.

FOX News - SciTech - SciTech - Court Battle May Disconnect Internet Phone System Skype

Court Battle May Disconnect Internet Phone System Skype
    Aug 01, 2009 8:27 AM EDT
    Skype might have to shut down because of a dispute over the core technology used to make the Internet telephone system work.

EBay, which paid $2.6 for the voice-over-the-Web system in 2005, is facing a court battle with the original founders of the company who retained the rights to the technology at the heart of the system.

EBay admitted in a regulatory filing that it might have to close down the company. It said it was trying to develop alternative software but if that did not work, or if eBay lost the right to the original software: "Skype would be severely and adversely affected and the continued operation of Skype's business as currently conducted would likely not be possible."

08-05-09 11:33 AM
    There is a beta "available" that I have used for a little bit. It works but it feels like a windows mobile app that they "ported" to blackberry, which i know you can't just port the app but man the interface sucks! I would say it will be better when it hits for mass consumption.

Just be patient it should hit soon, unless this legal stuff isn't settled.

JB
    08-05-09 11:38 AM
    You can currently use iSkoot (free app) or IM+ for Skype ($) to get Skype access on your BB. It will still use your phone's minutes (unless you have a nights & weekends plan and are calling during those times) since it dials into Skype first. They will also use SkypeOut to forward Skype calls to your BB.

NimBuzz chat program also supports Skype chat.
    08-05-09 02:39 PM
    It could be disasterous if skype gets shut down. I know when I'm on there using it there are like 10million people on using it.
    08-05-09 04:01 PM
    I've used iSkoot, but found the sound quality to be simply terrible. How is IM+ for Skype?
    08-05-09 04:23 PM
    It could be disasterous if skype gets shut down. I know when I'm on there using it there are like 10million people on using it.
    The though does raise some interesting questions.

Skype exists as a distributed peer to peer network. The only control eBay has is updates to the client.

If eBay should abandon support, the network would continue to function just fine as it is.

Unless, of course, the programmers anticipated this and build in a network destruct switch back in the Kazaa days.
    08-05-09 05:01 PM
    Skype Coming to BlackBerry Smartphones in May - About Skype

This was the official announcment from last May, still nothing.

Since then, eBay and the original developers have entered into court actions that may have resulted in the release being delayed.

FOX News - SciTech - SciTech - Court Battle May Disconnect Internet Phone System Skype

Well, I have a skype acct and used iskoot before, I have recently been using vopium to call Baghdad, Iraq. The last call was for 12 or 13 mins and cost me a whopping $1.48 from my blackberry to his Baghdad registered cellphone. I'll keep using vopium, thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD