Hey!

Where is that skype app that people were raving about that was supposed to be available for Blackberries in May?!!
    05-01-09 11:36 AM
    May hasn't end yet
    05-01-09 11:36 AM
    It is 9am on May 1st, man you're pushy.
    05-01-09 11:38 AM
    It is 9am on May 1st, man you're pushy.
    Man! I've been waitin' for this thing to come out for a while!!! I wanna test that app!!

And what's a boricua boy like yourself doing in AZ anyways? There ain't no beaches in AZ dude!
    05-01-09 11:50 AM
    Man! I've been waitin' for this thing to come out for a while!!! I wanna test that app!!

And what's a boricua boy like yourself doing in AZ anyways? There ain't no beaches in AZ dude!
    I know, I woke up one day and was laying in the middle of the desert naked. The illusion of a beach in the distance is all that kept me going. After a while I ended up on a farm in Gilbert, AZ. lol ! Been calling it my home ever since.

But being serious, Its the closest to Puerto Rico weather you can get without all the natural disasters and the humidity. No beaches though so its a bummer. Now if I could just figure out a way to direct the fine women to Arizona It would be heaven.

I lived in New York 10 years. Population of fine women in NY/NJ is over crowded. In AZ, EXTINCTION!
    Last edited by azboricua; 05-01-09 at 11:58 AM.
    05-01-09 11:55 AM
    Don't be surprised. I think that it will not be very useful except for international calls.

It seems, from published reports in the NYTimes, it will use data plan to get to your account and phone-book information.
    Then it will dial, using your phone plan to access their landline internet entry point (using your plan minutes).
    I think that it will also have a IM function.

You will be charged by your mobile operator for local air time and data usage based on the type of calling service and data plan you have purchased. Since the lite version of Skype uses a mobile data connection to sign in to Skype, update your contact list, update presence and send/receive messages, you will be charged by your mobile operator for data usage. You will not incur charges from Skype when you make Skype-to-Skype calls or send instant messages to friends on Skype; however national calling rates apply from your mobile operator due to the use of local air time. Skype will charge its regular very low Skype rates when you call landlines and mobiles using Skype or when you receive calls on your mobile handset from other Skype users or people calling your personal online number. We highly recommend getting an unlimited data plan for use with the lite version of Skype
    Last edited by mandony; 05-01-09 at 03:30 PM.
    05-01-09 12:11 PM
    Don't be surprised. I think that it will not be very useful except for international calls.

It seems, from published reports in the NYTimes, it will use data plan to get to your account and phone-book information.
    Then it will dial, using your phone plan to access their landline internet entry point (using your plan minutes).
    I think that it will also have a IM function.
    I want to be able to call my friends in the UK without a computer. I will love this!
    05-01-09 01:03 PM
    be patient, Rome was no built over night
    05-01-09 01:31 PM
    I sent an email to Skype yesterday and got a respond today, pretty impressed by how fast they responded to my email.

Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Skype Support.

We are glad to hear that you are interested in using Skype software on
    your device.

Skype lite version for Balckberry will be released very soon, but at the
    moment we are not able to provide you with the exact release date.
    You can find the information regarding costs from:
    Skype Coming to BlackBerry Smartphones in May - About Skype

If you have any further questions regarding Skype software or services
    then please contact us again.

Best regards,

Andre

Skype Customer Support

Visit Skype official website – download Skype free now for free calls and internet calls for latest news, updates and tips.

I do have some bad news though. I can't confirm this and I may be wrong but I believe that the skype app will use a dial in number causing you to use your cell plan minutes regardless. If that's the case then there is no way I'll be using the Skype app. I'd suggest when the app comes out don't use it until someone gives us a clear explanation of whether or not the IM function will only use data or both data and minutes.
    05-01-09 01:49 PM
    I bought IM+ for Skype a little while ago as I got tired of waiting. I only use it for the I'm feature, really. Voice calls use your minutes if I'm not mistaken, but the chatting is data. It's been OK, although I do have issues connecting sometimes. I don't think it's my phone or data availability. That's my main complaint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 02:18 PM
    I want to be able to call my friends in the UK without a computer. I will love this!
    The simple ways to do this for any PC to UK landline:

(1) pay as you go using a skype deposit
    @ about 2.1 cents per minute to UK landline.

(2) get a monthly unlimited international plan
    @12.95/month. (or $5.95 to one country)
    You can also use the service landline to landline with plan, dialing a local US#.

The advantage of the new skype client is that you will be able to dial from your BB.
    On the other hand, you can currently do this, but, must dial in the extra codes and phone #.
    Last edited by mandony; 05-01-09 at 03:33 PM.
    05-01-09 03:26 PM
    IM+ for BlackBerry works the same way the official Skype client is described as working. It phones you, or you phone it. However, to do this with IM+ requires SkypeOut credits. According to Skype's official blurb, their client won't require SkypeOut credits to call other Skype users. This seems to be the main advantage.
    05-01-09 03:55 PM
    so....any updates ?

I need skype on my Bold.....
    05-18-09 09:45 PM
    It's still not out i think. Too bad... I need it too.
    05-19-09 06:11 AM
    My buddies and I have been testing a slick new BB app for worldwide LD.

It's developed by a Canadian start-up call GuerrillaTel.

Check it out at GuerrillaTel.com

You get an hour of free calling time (in US and Canada) when you register.

Dial a number, pick a contact out of your manager or click on a recent call, but - instead of pressing the green dial button - press the BlackBerry menu button. Then pick "Call from GuerrillaTel" from the menu. The app will send your number and the number you want to call to the switch (< 1K of data). You'll get a call first. When you answer, you'll be immediately connected to the call in progress to your intended recipient.... worldwide.

Right now, it definitely works on Rogers and Telus. It hasn't been tested thoroughly elsewhere. The trick is the HTTP socket connection. For example, it won't work on MTS.

Anyone willing to test it out on their carrier's network?
    Last edited by Route_90; 05-19-09 at 10:10 PM. Reason: updated instructions
    05-19-09 10:54 AM
    still no update may 19th .. getting close
    05-19-09 11:08 AM
    It's now July 30th... Still no news of launching...
    From what I read, I think they're still in closed beta testing...
    Here's the link :
    forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=344371
    07-30-09 03:26 AM
    Are we not going to get it? What is going on.

07-30-09 05:20 PM
    Are we not going to get it? What is going on.
    Quite simply, if the phone companies allow Skype to use their unlimited BB data then there will be no reason to purchase the phone company's extended national and international plans. People will only have to order the least expensive phone plans.

The original articles on this topic in the NYTimes and others said that Skype would only use the data plan (or WIFI) for login- the actual phone call would use the phone minutes. The voice call cost savings will only be worthwhile for international calls.
    07-30-09 09:40 PM
    Today, August 1 2009, I sent a message to Skype requesting detailed information about the delay and when I can expect the Skype for Blackberry.
    I'll let you know the response of Skype.
    08-01-09 04:46 PM
    It IS out for iphone right?? I have a friend in Toronto that has it on Rogers in Canada...so why not BB?

08-02-09 09:38 AM
    if it is out for iphone and they can use it for phone call, why do skype intend to block BB for only data plan/wifi for login?
    doesnt make sense

08-02-09 09:41 AM
    if it is out for iphone and they can use it for phone call, why do skype intend to block BB for only data plan/wifi for login?
    doesnt make sense

All I know is he made a test call to me in NJ via skype from his iphone calling from Toronto. Don't know why it is being bloacked for bb.

08-02-09 09:51 AM
    A dispute between Skype and Joltid Ltd. Joltid Ltd said Skype had breached license agreements by altering software codes.

So, we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.
    08-02-09 10:58 AM
    More info...

In case eBay, Skype's owner loses the right to original software, it may have to lock the company.

It may be noted here that trial has been scheduled for June 2010.

So until June 2010, the IPO is on the back burner.

So eBay has started working on recreating Skype's software, which can be named "Frankenskype" or "Skypenstein" by eBay.

However, the company fears that new software may cost much or become unsuccessful.
    08-02-09 11:03 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD