So I see there is Skype for other BB's now. Anyone have some COD files for skype? Or point me in the right direction for info?

Thanks!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-12-10 08:44 PM
    Skype for BlackBerry is only available on Verizon phone. I suspect dark contractural deeds have been done there to keep Skype off of other carrier's BlackBerrys.

So if anyone does just happen to have the requisite .cod files, I would not mind a copy to er, test. From there, who knows where they might end up .
    05-12-10 08:49 PM
    Skype for BlackBerry is only available on Verizon phone...
    Not entirely true. I use it every day to call internationally on T-Mobile.

Skype OTA Download
    05-12-10 11:22 PM
    Not entirely true. I use it every day to call internationally on T-Mobile.

Skype OTA Download
    Isn't there an air and potentially long distance charge when used on other carriers?
    05-13-10 12:15 AM
    Well, yes, of course there is an airtime charge. It's not VoIP. It dials a local number. But, when I'm calling Europe and Asia, I am happy for it to deduct from my minutes as opposed to paying international rates. Long distance charge? Do carriers even still charge long distance charges??
    05-13-10 12:17 AM
    Well, yes, of course there is an airtime charge. It's not VoIP. It dials a local number. But, when I'm calling Europe and Asia, I am happy for it to deduct from my minutes as opposed to paying international rates. Long distance charge? Do carriers even still charge long distance charges??
    So if you have unlimited minutes then there is essentially no charge for this on Tmo?
    05-13-10 12:22 AM
    So if you have unlimited minutes then there is essentially no charge for this on Tmo?
    Right. You, obviously, DO need a Skype account.
    05-13-10 12:24 AM
    So when you're dialling internationally you mean that you're dialing other Skype users same as VoIP except that you are using up air time i.e. you're not dialing land/cells I assume otherwise you'd be using Skype-out?

How is the call quality?

They sure have LD rates here still which means the last time I checked, Skype required dialing into a so-called "local" number but not being local to that number, there was a LD charge.
    05-13-10 12:28 AM
    I think you are kinna missing the reality of the NEW skype app for Verizon BBs - It is VOIP. Keep your minutes and talk over WIFI.
    05-13-10 12:28 AM
    I think you are kinna missing the reality of the NEW skype app for Verizon BBs - It is VOIP. Keep your minutes and talk over WIFI.
    lol, I'm not missing the reality of anything. My calls are free over WiFi regardless via UMA. When I'm not at home or the office, I still have a need to call internationally. Skype allows me to do that.
    05-13-10 12:32 AM
    Right. You, obviously, DO need a Skype account.
    I have a skype account just never use it cause I'm rarely on the comp to call the person I talk to internationally. I may download that now, thanks.
    05-13-10 12:34 AM
    So when you're dialling internationally you mean that you're dialing other Skype users same as VoIP except that you are using up air time i.e. you're not dialing land/cells I assume otherwise you'd be using Skype-out?

How is the call quality?

They sure have LD rates here still which means the last time I checked, Skype required dialing into a so-called "local" number but not being local to that number, there was a LD charge.
    I believe the way it works is, the app sends a message to Skype's server saying "hey, this guy is about to call you. When he connects, dial this number". Then it calls one of Skype's local numbers, and then connects you to your desired contact. The call quality is the same as a normal call.
    05-13-10 12:34 AM
    lol, I'm not missing the reality of anything. My calls are free over WiFi regardless via UMA. When I'm not at home or the office, I still have a need to call internationally. Skype allows me to do that.
    I perfectly understand what you are saying but for those of us that do not have unlimited wireless minutes skype out is kind of pointless. To talk over WIFI without wasting my minutes is so much better (meaning having VOIP service) like there is for Verizon BBs.
    05-13-10 12:35 AM
    I perfectly understand what you are saying but for those of us that do not have unlimited wireless minutes skype out is kind of pointless.
    Not really. Let's assume you're not a Verizon user. Let's assume you're a Sprint user. How much does Sprint charge to call Europe or Asia? Or any other country for that matter. #1, Skype has low rates or #2 if the party you're calling ALSO has Skype the call is free. (minus your airtime minutes)
    05-13-10 12:37 AM
    Just read an article that said verizon skype wasn't true voip, ie that it routed your skype calls through verizons cell towers and servers. So to use the verizon skype app you need to have service with verizon. Give me a minute and I will grab that link.

http://www.berryreview.com/2010/03/24/verizon-skype-mobile-is-not-a-true-voip-application/

I also read something about rim not allowing the ability to record and transmit at the same time. There is no true voip solution for BB, I did play with IM+ skype, but when it worked, it was more like a walkie talkie then a phone call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rdyoung; 05-13-10 at 12:55 AM.
    05-13-10 12:49 AM
    Just read an article that said verizon skype wasn't true voip, ie that it routed your skype calls through verizons cell towers and servers. So to use the verizon skype app you need to have service with verizon. Give me a minute and I will grab that link.

Verizon Skype Mobile is NOT a True VoIP Application – BerryReview

I also read something about rim not allowing the ability to record and transmit at the same time. There is no true voip solution for BB, I did play with IM+ skype, but when it worked, it was more like a walkie talkie then a phone call.

Says it right here: Skype - The Big Blog - Skype mobile for Verizon Wireless available from Thursday

Skype mobile uses the Verizon Wireless voice network for the wireless connection of the Skype-to-Skype calls, giving you a reliable connection and top-notch call quality.
    05-13-10 12:57 AM
    The actual skype app ONLY works on verizon BBs, on verizon's network. It routes international and skype calls over the DATA network. Local calls are routed through the cellular (phone) network and incur regular minute charges.

The app posted above is a POS beta that doesn't function properly (at least on my 9700), its probably a universal java program for all java-based operating systems. It doesn't recognize the trackpad click, uses "q" for OK and "p" for back, and I couldn't find any option in it to actually call contacts, only chat. Someone please enlighten me as to how it is useful for calling.

Your only option on a non-VZW BB is iSkoot, which let's you call skype contacts using your regular minutes (it dials a local number). It's not the same as the real Skype app, but it's all we've got and it let's you call int'l skype users cheaper when not at your comp.

05-13-10 01:02 AM
    Verizons skype routes the calls through their cell towers and servers, they made a deal with skype so it is "free" but its not true voip as you have to be connected to verizon. If it was true voip you could run the app on any BB and use it over wifi without a cell connection.

05-13-10 01:04 AM
    If you want a true skype/voip experience on the go, get ahold of a netgear or linksys skype phone. Connect to wifi and skype away, that's a true voip experience.

05-13-10 01:08 AM
    i only want it for the messaging.. i don't care about phone calls..
    05-13-10 06:59 PM
    i only want it for the messaging.. i don't care about phone calls..
    Then use IM+ or any of the other chat apps that interface with skype.
    05-13-10 07:02 PM
    Did you read that news release? Or did you just google for a link to try and show us up?

From the page you linked. Note the section I underlined.
    Skype mobile uses the Verizon Wireless voice network for the wireless connection of the Skype-to-Skype calls, giving you a reliable connection and top-notch call quality.
    05-13-10 07:04 PM
    heh, im not gonna pay 30 bux for an app.
    05-13-10 07:06 PM
    heh, im not gonna pay 30 bux for an app.
    I think they have a lite version for free, Just google for chat apps that support skype, they are out there.
    05-13-10 07:09 PM
    But now, please pardon my ignorance of the way BB works (or my ignorance in general)... I've used skype on my Windows Mobile phone quite a few times while down at the beach in Mexico where Sprint has no service, tapping into a hotel wifi and talking over the internet instead of any network. Does the skype app for BB have to route through a network and not through a simple internet connection? (Or after I jump over to BB in another week, will I still have to take the old WM phone back down to the beach with me simply for its wifi/skype capability?)
    05-13-10 07:18 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD