Does anyone have any idea when Skype will work on BB with Verizon? There is apparently some partnership b/t them that is supposed to yield something this month. I have been anxiously awaiting it.
    03-22-10 05:13 PM
    Should be soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 06:06 PM
    No confirmed date yet, hopefully in the upcoming weeks.
    03-22-10 06:43 PM
    03/25!

10 char

03-23-10 05:11 PM
    Yes, I heard by the end of the week.
    03-23-10 05:16 PM
    do you guys really think you will use skype on your phone?

I know it is not for me at all
    03-23-10 07:12 PM
    03-23-10 07:24 PM
    Isn't tomorrow Wednesday?
    03-23-10 09:20 PM
    Why dont they just release it worldwide???
    03-23-10 09:24 PM
    Isn't tomorrow Wednesday?
    Starting tomorrow, Verizon users will be able to get their Skype on with quite a few devices. Intially, for BlackBerry users the app will work on BlackBerry Storm 9530, Storm2 9550, Curve 8330, Curve 8530, 8830 World Edition and Tour 9630 smartphones.

read the article.
    03-23-10 09:28 PM

It would save so much money.

03-24-10 07:02 AM

It is obviously not for you. You obviously have never traveled out of the US. I do several times a year and use skype now on my laptop. This is going to work very well for me or anyone that travels out of the country.
    03-24-10 07:07 AM
    Why dont they just release it worldwide???
    Because Verizon is a US carrier.
    03-24-10 09:51 AM
    It is obviously not for you. You obviously have never traveled out of the US. I do several times a year and use skype now on my laptop. This is going to work very well for me or anyone that travels out of the country.
    I may have misunderstood this post, but Skype is only for use on the phones here in the US and from what I have been told even on WiFi over sea's Skype won't work from the phone. You would still be able to be overseas and use your laptop to connect back to the US and skype users for free.
    03-24-10 11:42 AM
    I may have misunderstood this post, but Skype is only for use on the phones here in the US and from what I have been told even on WiFi over sea's Skype won't work from the phone. You would still be able to be overseas and use your laptop to connect back to the US and skype users for free.
    I read as much on Skype's site today. What a huge letdown. I was ready to break my contract with T-Mobile for this feature, if it had come with overseas functionality. It isn't worth switching to Verizon just to save on the international calls I make while in the US. Saving on the calls I make while outside of the US is where I (and many others I know) would have jumped ship.
    03-24-10 02:45 PM
    03-24-10 06:40 PM
    03-24-10 07:04 PM
    I know this is for Verizon, but after it's out there is it likely to work on phones from other carriers?
    03-24-10 07:57 PM
    I know this is for Verizon, but after it's out there is it likely to work on phones from other carriers?
    no, Skype is only for Verizon phones
    03-25-10 06:39 AM
    no, Skype is only for Verizon phones
    Thank you, that's informative. So you're saying it's the branding of the phone that determines whether the app will run?

Will people who have unlocked their Verizon phones be out of luck? What if they're using another carrier's unlocked phone on the Verizon network? Or better yet, I have an unlocked Verizon Storm somewhere - since it's a Verizon phone, will it run on that regardless of whose network?

03-25-10 08:06 AM
    My First impressions.....

I think it will help people who regularly connect with international numbers while WITHIN the US. This probably accounts for a bunch of folks. So, if you have family or friends that live outside the US, and you regularly talk to them you will now be able to reach them and they will be able to reach you on the go. This is a great use.

The app itself is very fast, and easy to use. Battery usage so far (after a couple of hours) seems normal.

Where I think the app/functionality really falls short is that you can't use the app while traveling abroad (when you REALLY need it). It would be great not to pay .99 in Europe for example (and more in other countries). I will still be using my itouch for this with wi-Fi I guess.

The other really annoying thing is that it doesn't tell you who is calling! This is a major rub. Because of what the app is good at, I don't want to pick a call up from let's say my dad who lives in the states if I'm really busy...but if its my cousin from China, it might be a different story.

The call I made this morning (after 2 failed attempts) had excellent voice quality.

That said, its a free app which is your choice to use it or not. I appreciate the effort these companies are making.

My biggest question is what is VZWs motivation in providing this???
    03-25-10 09:05 AM
    Easy....$$$$. They can now market that they are the exclusive partner of Skype Mobile and you have to be a Verizon customer to get it.

Interesting point I think I picked up (correctly) from that demo vid.....Sure, there is a menu item to check your Skype credit, but when you dial an international number, I think it only checks your available credit before connecting the call. Unless they just didn't show that (or maybe set an option), I would think it would be nice for the app to let you know what the cost per minute is to your call destination and what your balance is. Anyways.....

Not so sure of the benefit to me. Intl would have been a huuuuuuuge win. If I have someone overseas that I wanted to contact, well, likely they have a PC and I would just do a video call with them. Perfect example, when I had a family member overseas for several months. We used video.
    Last edited by jlb21; 03-25-10 at 09:11 AM.
    03-25-10 09:08 AM
    My First impressions....

They own Skype ...... but don't worry; on the BB it's worthless for anything other than Skype to Skype. They removed the ability to use Skype with WiFi and all Skype calls are REALLY through Verizon.

Unless I'm mistaken ....
    Last edited by TPadden; 03-25-10 at 09:15 AM.
    03-25-10 09:11 AM
    It isn't really worthless. Like I said in an earlier post its mainly useful for when you want to contact an international contact (or they want to contact you) while YOU are ON THE GO. Keep in mind that this mainly helps international contacts. So, because of the timezone differences you might not be cozy and sitting in front of your computer when its convenient for that international contact to "talk" to you.

EDIT: I agree with TPADDEN. It is MAINLY useful for Skype to Skype....although...the rates are going to be better if you need to dial an international number while on the go.
    Last edited by redneck6497; 03-25-10 at 09:19 AM.
    03-25-10 09:17 AM
    It isn't really worthless......
    Agreed ..... should have said for my use ......

I'm a subscriber and use Skype to make almost all my calls from my PC or ITouch (note NOT IPhone) ..... .....
    03-25-10 09:27 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD