According to Skyfire, they pushed Android development ahead of Blackberry for the following reasons:

1 We see Android as a fast-rising ecosystem, with a rich, totally open developer environment, a healthy app market and a healthy advertising and search ecosystem. The Android OS has a tremendous amount of interest from handset makers and carriers, and also has a strong need for making the explosion of video more network optimized (Skyfires wheelhouse).

2 The Blackberry developer environment is not as favorable for cutting-edge application development. The APIs are fragmented and inconsistent, and the Java virtual machine Blackberry requires is not efficient. While Blackberry users are desperate for a better browser - we know, and we hear them - we only want to bring out something that meets our high standards and is truly great.

3 The timing makes sense to return to Blackberry in the future. Blackberry has pledged to improve their developer environment in their 6.0 OS coming at the end of this year, and we cant wait to see it. Blackberry has said at that time they will introduce a webkit browser with server-side assist on html and text, developed based on their acquisition of Torch Mobile. We understand it will be a long way from able to handle native Flash 10.1 and similar rich media plug-ins, and we think we can build on that webkit engine and add cloud-based new features around it.
    04-07-10 03:15 PM
    According to Skyfire, they pushed Android development ahead of Blackberry for the following reasons:

1 We see Android as a fast-rising ecosystem, with a rich, totally open developer environment, a healthy app market and a healthy advertising and search ecosystem. The Android OS has a tremendous amount of interest from handset makers and carriers, and also has a strong need for making the explosion of video more network optimized (Skyfire’s wheelhouse).

2 The Blackberry developer environment is not as favorable for cutting-edge application development. The APIs are fragmented and inconsistent, and the Java virtual machine Blackberry requires is not efficient. While Blackberry users are desperate for a better browser - we know, and we hear them - we only want to bring out something that meets our high standards and is truly great.

3 The timing makes sense to return to Blackberry in the future. Blackberry has pledged to improve their developer environment in their 6.0 OS coming at the end of this year, and we can’t wait to see it. Blackberry has said at that time they will introduce a webkit browser with server-side assist on html and text, developed based on their acquisition of Torch Mobile. We understand it will be a long way from able to handle native Flash 10.1 and similar rich media plug-ins, and we think we can build on that webkit engine and add cloud-based new features around it.
    Closest thing to a timeline I've seen.
    04-07-10 03:27 PM

1 We see Android as a fast-rising ecosystem, with a rich, totally open developer environment, a healthy app market and a healthy advertising and search ecosystem. The Android OS has a tremendous amount of interest from handset makers and carriers, and also has a strong need for making the explosion of video more network optimized (Skyfires wheelhouse).

3 The timing makes sense to return to Blackberry in the future. Blackberry has pledged to improve their developer environment in their 6.0 OS coming at the end of this year, and we cant wait to see it. Blackberry has said at that time they will introduce a webkit browser with server-side assist on html and text, developed based on their acquisition of Torch Mobile. We understand it will be a long way from able to handle native Flash 10.1 and similar rich media plug-ins, and we think we can build on that webkit engine and add cloud-based new features around it.
    Need to handle OS 6.0 so we can see some skyfire love.
    04-07-10 03:49 PM

So in other words, RIM is slow and is sucking big time.
    04-07-10 04:03 PM
    They pretty much said that its worthless to develop for RIM right now. So right!
    Last edited by Totalimmortal363; 04-07-10 at 04:11 PM.
    04-07-10 04:06 PM
    Or Skyfire made statements last year about how great their browser on bb would be and don't have the muscle to develop, so they are covering their a$$es.
    04-07-10 04:08 PM
    well, that ruined my afternoon....
    I think I was better off asleep. Maybe I'm still asleep and this is a nightmare?
    04-07-10 04:09 PM
    Its true, bb slow , browser is slow and bb is lagging way behind other phones. The android and iphones are so way in front.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 04:12 PM
    Its true, bb slow , browser is slow and bb is lagging way behind other phones. The android and iphones are so way in front.

and just think Android for YEARS was only available via one carrier/provider in the USA, just like Apple. And to think RIM EVERYWHERE......

04-07-10 04:16 PM
    Maybe that's my cue to say bye bye BlackBerry, and hello Android.

04-07-10 05:55 PM
    This has been the issue since the blackberry bold 9000 came out. RIM is stuck in the corporate world of year 2000. They produce the best keyboard and pretty decent features but fail on truncated email and apps that improve your daily life.
    I have the ipod touch and the apps and fluidity vs the BB OS is night and day. BB is slow and clunky while android and apple have great innovation in terms of their hardware integrated with their software.
    BB on the other hand, doesn't want to give what consumers want. They are the Nintendo of smartphones. Reuse old hardware and OS in so called new products.
    In fairness BB was my first smartphone and got me addicted. But as soon as people discover what other platforms offer. BB will soon lose marketshare.

04-07-10 07:08 PM
    BB is going to become a dinasour. How can they think they can survive with others progressing leap years ahead and they stay stuck in their old ways. I give them 24 months and they will become the laughingstock of smart phones.
    04-07-10 07:47 PM
    i'm waiting to see how well WMO7 does but Android is looking good. I'll probably be jumping ship at the end of the year. RIM really needs to read what Skyfire stated and make some fast changes.
    04-07-10 07:57 PM
    I am so. sick. of waiting for RIM to wake up. This is just another nail in their lazyass, sloppy, resting on their laurels coffin.
    04-08-10 01:04 AM
    I agree.

By the time they do something about it, no doubt it will already be too late. And then they'll probably wonder why.
    04-08-10 02:21 AM
    Yes, the canned response "This is a corporate phone. If you want a fart app go get an iphone" just doesn't work anymore.

Smartphones have come a long way in the past 3 years and people, regardless if they're corporate users or not, want a phone that can handle more than just good email.

Users want a phone that in many ways can be an all-in-one multimedia device, including gps, music, video, internet, email, etc. While RIM does all these things, it does them worse than their competition. At first, people will remain loyal to the RIM brand, but eventually enough becomes enough.
    04-08-10 07:53 AM
    Or Skyfire made statements last year about how great their browser on bb would be and don't have the muscle to develop, so they are covering their a$$es.
    Agreed!

Opera & Bolt where able to create a browser for BB. All Skyfire needs right now is something a little better and then work on improving it with future updates. IMO that goes further than saying they won't do it because the dev environment can't allow them to meet their high standards.

Skyfire = the next SocialScope
    04-08-10 08:12 PM
    Skyfire's current browser was crap and not going much of anywhere, hence why the Android version is *completely different* than the old one...

They couldn't handle the development so they're throwing BB under the bus to try and save face.

Doesn't have a damn thing to do with BB development being hard...
    04-08-10 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD