I have set the volume up/down keys to Camera and Video Camera on my Bold 9900. Is it standard for these keys to still function while the phone is locked? The buttons keep getting pressed in my pocket and I pull my phone out to a blinding flash. Is there a way to disable these keys while the phone is locked?
    08-21-11 01:44 PM
    I have set the volume up/down keys to Camera and Video Camera on my Bold 9900. Is it standard for these keys to still function while the phone is locked? The buttons keep getting pressed in my pocket and I pull my phone out to a blinding flash. Is there a way to disable these keys while the phone is locked?
    I have the same settings ..... I don't think there is a way to disable these keys when the phone is locked ... also, after you re-boot your device, the volume keys for the camera doesn't work ... I have to open the Six Tools app and then only the volume button works.
    08-21-11 01:51 PM
    Theres currently no way to disable it when the device is locked as there is no reliable way to detect when it is in locked state. If that changes I'll add it to SixTools.
    08-21-11 02:33 PM
    also, after you re-boot your device, the volume keys for the camera doesn't work ... I have to open the Six Tools app and then only the volume button works.
    If you turn on the start up video it will work around that.
    08-21-11 02:33 PM
    Theres currently no way to disable it when the device is locked as there is no reliable way to detect when it is in locked state. If that changes I'll add it to SixTools.
    Aren't these extra keys effectively useless then? Every time I unlock my phone I often have whatever app they are assigned to accidentally open and its super annoying
    08-22-11 12:06 AM
    hmn, ur the only person who seem to have this issue, i dont have my 9900 yet, but are the conv keys on it so easily pressed? in your pocket? Oo

i dont see why it'd be such a problem tho, i doubt this happens to many, maybe ur conv keys are just loose and get easily pressed or whatever?
    otherwise i'd bet more pple wouldve complained about it already

and even if it does happen from time to time, the phone is locked, so nothings happening aside from the apps getting opened, you cant accidently do something within the app

just set quicklaunch to one of your conv keys, and you can launch any app you want to without having to close ur accidently opened app

but well, i can understand that is has to be at least a little annoying : )
    maybe try other 9900's in stores and see if ur conv keys are just loose
    08-22-11 04:39 AM
    Aren't these extra keys effectively useless then? Every time I unlock my phone I often have whatever app they are assigned to accidentally open and its super annoying
    In the past year, I've maybe had 1 or 2 people bring this to my attention as an issue, so I really dont see it being a problem. I'd assume most people use a pouch/holster or are not putting it in a pocket with keys or anything that would actually hit the buttons.
    08-22-11 08:00 AM
    I use a holster, and I have had this problem (though not EVERY time, just once every 2 or 3 times). The big problem was the mute key on my old 9800, because I press that by accident almost every time I shove it into the holster. Moving to the 9900 I found that the keys were a lot less likely to go wrong as I walked around with it in the holster, but more likely to press from holding it the wrong way, as I'm still getting used to how to hold this phone because it's so new!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 07:29 PM
    x eleventy billion.

SUPER Annoying! And as a result it kills my battery really fast with my flashlight (camera flash) turning on for long times in my pocket unnoticed

In the past year, I've maybe had 1 or 2 people bring this to my attention as an issue, so I really dont see it being a problem. I'd assume most people use a pouch/holster or are not putting it in a pocket with keys or anything that would actually hit the buttons.
    This is a huge problem IMO.

Don't assume....

I put mine in my pocket bare and nothing else is in my pocket yet randomly through the day a convenience key inevitably gets pressed and my flashlight or whatever turns on draining my battery

Luckily I tested your app's trial before purchasing it...

I have since bought 'deKlikken' because it does essentially the same thing, but it respects the native Lock and will NOT activate while my device is locked

If ExtraKeys worked properly respecting the devices native lock I would gladly have purchased it since Shao is an active forum supporter, but I needed an app that works how I need
    Also cool that deKlikken allows you to assign multiple apps to the same convenience key with multiple clicks

No offense Shao, I like your products, just trying to help a fellow user out with his problem
    PatInTheHat likes this.
    09-04-11 02:21 AM
    I've never even noticed what you guys are saying is a "huge problem."
    09-04-11 06:35 PM
    OP is right, I use volume up for video/flashlight and my pocket was getting hot and when I realized half my battery was gone as the camera had been accidentally turned on!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 08:35 PM
    x eleventy billion.

SUPER Annoying! And as a result it kills my battery really fast with my flashlight (camera flash) turning on for long times in my pocket unnoticed

This is a huge problem IMO.

Don't assume....

I put mine in my pocket bare and nothing else is in my pocket yet randomly through the day a convenience key inevitably gets pressed and my flashlight or whatever turns on draining my battery

Luckily I tested your app's trial before purchasing it...

I have since bought 'deKlikken' because it does essentially the same thing, but it respects the native Lock and will NOT activate while my device is locked

If ExtraKeys worked properly respecting the devices native lock I would gladly have purchased it since Shao is an active forum supporter, but I needed an app that works how I need
    Also cool that deKlikken allows you to assign multiple apps to the same convenience key with multiple clicks

No offense Shao, I like your products, just trying to help a fellow user out with his problem
    i just tried deklikken, seems like a great app

but it does not "respect" the native lock, it still opens applications when locked, so you're having the same problem with deklikken

another thing is, i like the "multiple-click convenience key" thing, theres just one thing which bothers me a little

basically, when you assign an app to a convenience key (the real convenience key, or the volume up/down/mute keys (when using SixTools)), it immediately opens the assigned application

but when you use "deklikken" there is obviously some time between clicking multiple times, so it allows you to open the right application
    lets say you use deklikken, and assign 4 apps to the volume down key

Click 1: BBM
    Click 2: IM+
    Click 3: FB
    Click 4: Twitter

now you want to open FB !
    you click once, usually it would open BBM now, but with deklikken you have for example 800milliseconds to click another time (then it'd open IM+), so you've got another 800milliseconds to click the volume down key once more to open FB (3times)

but after clicking the key 3 times, it obviously takes 800milliseconds longer to open the app (FB in this case), because it could be that you wanted to click another time, to open twitter

now, if you want a great combination, lets say... quicklaunch+deklikken, it'd be quite annoying if you want quicklaunch to launch immediately, because you'd always have to wait these 800milliseconds longer for quicklaunch to actually open

i tried assigning only 1 app to the volume down key, but it still takes these 800milliseconds extra to launch the app (wish the app would realize when theres only 1 app assigned to one of the keys)

now you could set it to 400 milliseconds, but then you'd have a problem... when assigning 7 apps to 1 key, you'd have to click really fast, if you accidently didnt click fast enough, it'd launch another app (quite annoying)
    so you're always stuck with these + 800milliseconds

now this might not seem to such a big deal to some people, but i can assure you... its quite annoying ._.

so i could maybe use SixTools, deKlikken and QuickLaunch

- turn my volume down key into a convenience key (with SixTools) and use QuickLaunch for that one

and for the volume up+down i'd use deklikken, launching 14 apps

i know, it probably sounds absolutely stupid, but.. im not sure what to do : P
    Last edited by Seijuro; 09-05-11 at 05:30 PM.
    09-05-11 03:51 PM
    i just tried deklikken, seems like a great app

but it does not "respect" the native lock, it still opens applications when locked, so you're having the same problem with deklikken
    really? What device and OS do you have?

I tried both sixtools and deklikken on my 9900 os7 and sixtools when my device was locked the key still launched their apps but with deklikken when my device is locked, the convenience key (and mute, vol up/down) are Locked too
    PatInTheHat likes this.
    09-19-11 01:34 AM
    I tested it again... deKlikken respects locks for the default convenience key but not the volume up/down/mute keys...

Luckily for me, I don't have anything assigned to the volume keys, I only use multiple clicks of the default convenience to launch 2 different apps
    PatInTheHat likes this.
    09-19-11 01:59 AM
    Just noticed that you mentioned our latest app in this thread

> I tested it again... deKlikken respects locks for the default convenience key but not the volume up/down/mute keys...

deKlikken respects "Password Lock" (i.e. if device is password protected, deKlikken won't start any app), but it does not try to monitor the "Screen/Keyboard Lock" protection.

Side note - deKlikken is still an infant, we plan to make several major improvements next month, so if you have any ideas or comments - please drop us a line.
    bcuffy likes this.
    09-22-11 10:11 AM
    THANK YOU Big_Ern!!

I have no idea why this doesn't work properly with SixTools but deKlikken resolved all my issues with application launching during lock.

I have no regrets about purchasing SixTools as it does many other functions for me well but I do hope Shao decides to fix this glaring oversight in his product.

In the meantime I will be highly recommending deKlikken as the multiple click app launch makes for a nice bonus. Great app!
    09-23-11 01:44 AM
    You're very welcome Pat! Glad to help
    10-17-11 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD