Folks, I am looking for an application that will display a desktop icon and text for the the signal strength. I know I can do this on the top bars, but I need to place it on my home screen.

I have searched high and low with no luck. I have MeterBerry (doesn't do it) and BatteryEX (doesn't do it). I have searched App World, CrackBerry Apps, and Mobihand, as well as Googled it.

Does anybody know of anything that will do this?

Thanks in advance . . .
    06-27-10 10:53 PM
    Nothing - anyone?
    06-28-10 09:59 AM
    I'm not sure if this will work on your model but on many Blackberries you can hold your ALT key and type NMLL lower case and your signal strength will change to a numeric.
    06-28-10 11:27 AM
    Thanks Trucky - I tried that but it does not quite display the way I want it to. I am going to need an app that I can place on the home screen.
    06-28-10 12:11 PM
    Good luck in your search. I don't recall seeing any apps for that yet. I've used the numeric version as a quick signal strength tester for cellular repeater installs. It works fairly well but you need to let it settle for at least 30 seconds in each location.
    06-28-10 01:46 PM
    Good luck in your search. I don't recall seeing any apps for that yet. I've used the numeric version as a quick signal strength tester for cellular repeater installs. It works fairly well but you need to let it settle for at least 30 seconds in each location.
    Thanks - I believe you are right. I have spent another morning of searching the 'net for something, but no joy.

Perhaps an app developer will read this and create something.

One can hope - right?
    06-28-10 02:36 PM
    Now that would be too cool!

What I am looking for is this: an app similar to BatteryEX, which will display in the text field below (or to the left, right, above) the signal strength as db, i.e. -80 dBm, or perhaps just the -80.

Ideally, it would mirror either the OPTIONS|STATUS or the Quick Launch DEVICE INFO dialog. Most importantly for me is the text display, however. I am trying to develop a high contrast theme for those of us with "getting" older eye sight.

THANK YOU!
    06-28-10 07:47 PM
    sounds like a great app i would love something like this im in
    06-28-10 09:48 PM
    Count me in for a copy. I'll fork over a bit o' cash for it.
    06-28-10 09:52 PM
    Well, for me, keep it as simple as possible. An image of a Cell Tower or something like it would suffice for the icon. As far as the text, just the signal strength (if that is what you were asking).

To give you an idea of what I am trying to accomplish, I am attaching a capture of my home screen:

There are actually 3 icons there, I have them blacked out (actually, whited out) so that only the text shows. Since all the default icons come out looking weird in the Reverse Color mode, this works better. If you want to add just an image to the icon, a black image against a white background, which will create a white image against a black background when reversed, that is all I am looking for. And, of course, the text. I wanna get rid of the bar under the 3G.

I really hope I am not creating a big deal with this. I truly appreciate it, but unless there is going to be a huge demand for something more, keep it simple.

Thanks again . . .
    06-28-10 10:04 PM
    Thanks again!

I have been trying to add a 4th icon to my home screen to get it ready for whenever you get your app put together. One problem.

I went to my eye doctor today, and he dialated both my eyes. Looking at my screen is kind of like looking through a really dirty pane of glass. It is giving me a headache.

So, if you want to put it off a day or so, feel free. I hate hot weather (what the H*LL am I doing in Southern California!?).
    06-28-10 11:43 PM
    Thanks again!

I have been trying to add a 4th icon to my home screen to get it ready for whenever you get your app put together. One problem.

I went to my eye doctor today, and he dialated both my eyes. Looking at my screen is kind of like looking through a really dirty pane of glass. It is giving me a headache.

So, if you want to put it off a day or so, feel free. I hate hot weather (what the H*LL am I doing in Southern California!?).
    Yeah...off subject a tad, but ohtrustmeIknowhowyoufeel about hot weather. I HATE this place! And it hasn't even been bad...yet!
    06-29-10 08:16 AM
    Yeah...off subject a tad, but ohtrustmeIknowhowyoufeel about hot weather. I HATE this place! And it hasn't even been bad...yet!
    Yea - it will not get bad for us for another month or so. I feel bad for LSphone though - South Carolina at 80+ also usually means 80+% humidity = YUCK!

Take a shower and never dry off the rest of the day . . .
    06-29-10 10:42 AM
    I like it!!!! I was going to request WiFi but it is already there. FTR, I am on a 9700 running 680 on the AT&T network.

How much and when will it be on CB? Glad to pay for this!

Any chance you can add the SSID when inside the application and maybe an option to display that text as well? I will let ya know in a bit about battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shansmi; 07-02-10 at 05:44 AM.
    07-02-10 05:19 AM
    Very nice. I will certainly buy a copy.
    07-02-10 08:15 AM
    It shouldn't be a big deal, will start by duplicating ThermoBerry and then change what data it shows, then maybe design a few different icons you can choose from.

Nice Apps Thanks
    07-02-10 08:20 AM
    Um - I would love to try this out - but when I downloaded it, the app tells me my 3 day trial has expired and I need a license key.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Thanks for doing this BTW ... looking forward to it.
    07-02-10 08:37 AM
    Just downloaded it .... Looks awesome .. Is it possible to create a small icon to show in the homescreen .... Great job again (:

07-02-10 08:18 PM
    07-04-10 02:45 PM
    Beta 2:

for 4.3-4.6

for 4.7-5.0

Still remaining to be done:

- Add indicator in homescreen indicators area on 4.6+
    - Add network ID and IP address to info display
    - Finish implementing power-saving features (right now only the 1st one works).

This beta will give you a new 3-day trial, and unless you delete the previous beta you'll have 2 icons.
    SWEET! Just installed it and it is everything I was looking for. Anything else is now gravy. Thanks!
    07-04-10 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the update installing now

07-04-10 04:07 PM
    For users who did not download one of the earlier betas, you might as well download the free trial of the release:

Sigcon at CrackBerry store

The beta-3 links above are only preferable so that the trial will be renewed for those who had beta-2.

... and for those who end up wanting to buy, it's bundled with "What's Running?" (bundles only visible in mobile CB store)
    Last edited by LSphone; 07-10-10 at 02:01 PM.
    07-10-10 01:51 PM
    Still running and testing will report back any issues I do like the indicator in status are
    Thanks

07-10-10 04:25 PM
    I stumbled across this thread and couldn't believe my eyes---an app for people like me with "OCD" about their signal fluctuations!

Using the NMLL option never did it for me---too small and difficult to see, and reverted back to bars on a battery pull. I just downloaded the free trial of Sigcon and so far, I absolutely love this app.

It doesn't seem to be available for purchase at the CB Store yet, just the free trial. Will that update soon so this can be a permanent application for my BB Tour?

Absolutely awesome job on this app! Still testing and playing around with it, but no glitches found yet (VZW Tour 9630, OS5.0.0.732).

Thanks!
    07-10-10 04:27 PM
    I just gotta thank LSphone for the work he put into this. This is a great application that came from asking a simple question. Proof that it never hurts to ask.

I bought my copy last night . . and am looking at some of the other LSphone apps to see what I might use. Definitely a developer I am going to watch.

THANKS!
    07-11-10 10:37 AM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD