I noticed in App World that the latest version of ShortcutMe is 6.1. The current price is $3.99 for new customers and $1.99 for the upgrade to existing customers.

I know there are some that will complain about paying to upgrade and some of those complaints are already posted on the App World's review for this product. I understand that the developer continues to put labor hours into enhancing the product and paying for the upgrade is justified. I don't mind paying for the upgrade as this is a great product. However, I do mind the price tag of $1.99. It is not a lot of money but it irks me that I purchased the app two weeks ago during a sale ($2.99) and I asked the developer if version 6 is coming out soon and will there be a charge to upgrade from version 5.x? Here was the developer's response.

"Since 3 years ago, ShortcutMe had 51 free upgrades and 1 paid ($0.99).
    In the same period, competitors have requested 3 paid upgrades each for ($1.99).

I am constantly working on developing/testing new versions. If I were you, I would take advantage of the sale now and get it for %40 off.
    Even if the future version ended up as paid, it will be less than what you save on sale today."

From my calculations, the purchase price of $2.99 plus the upgrade price of $1.99 is $4.98. This is less than what new customers are paying ($3.99). I could have waited two weeks and gotten the app cheaper.

I wonder if customers need to pay the upgrade price if they purchased the older version a day before the new version came out.
    Last edited by robchow; 04-10-12 at 06:36 PM.
    04-10-12 06:29 PM
    Well, I haven't paid for this software in two weeks now, just like you, so I think it's about time to cough up some money again. Or maybe not...

It's greedy developers like this, that cause piracy. Paid upgrades are one thing, but then you have to set a cutoff date so those who bought within say two months, get it for free. Why? Because obviously the developer knew he sold you an outdated product, yet he didn't tell you.

The version I got two weeks ago was not working for me, so I uninstalled and waited for the update. Now I just feel like a fool for giving him my money. Won't do that again. But he can have negative feedback from me on app world absolutely free! :-)
    04-11-12 03:39 AM
    Now wait a minute. The original poster was just expressing frustration. If you purchase enough software and apps the "new version gets released just after I purchased it" scenario is bound to happen. It is human nature to want the latest-greatest, but if you don't feel good about a purchase, please take some time to research the new features first.

I do not know the specifics of the problem you are having and what steps you have taken to resolve it, but you might want to start a new topic here. There are many people knowledgeable about this program and macro experts that would be happy to help you. I do know firsthand the quality of service the developer provides. He has made over 2600 posts to answer questions and take feature requests. I also know that he responds quickly and professionally to all questions, so don't be afraid to ask.
    04-11-12 09:30 AM
    @robchow,

This new release has an upgrade fee of $1.99 to cover the cost for developing tons of new features added now and for the ones which will be added (at least) in the next 18 months in form of free upgrades.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...screen-715658/

No one is forced to upgrade. ShortcutMe 5 is stable and rocks for a long time with its rich features.

There are various reasons why ShortcutMe is on sale for $3.99, but none of those reasons are for making you feel that you have paid more. ShortcutMe price will go back to its default full price of $4.99 which is the same as your total price.

I advised you to get ShortcutMe on sale for $2.99 and it was done in good faith.
    At that time I had lots of problems running all the new features in ShortcutMe 6 on all BB models, so I wasn't sure when I could release version 6.

If you chose to upgrade (using all the new features) and still want to compare your total price with the temporary sales price, send me an email (support at shortcutme dot com) and I will refund you the $1 difference.
    Last edited by Vijik; 04-11-12 at 11:07 AM.
    carbon98accord likes this.
    04-11-12 11:00 AM
    Now wait a minute. The original poster was just expressing frustration. If you purchase enough software and apps the "new version gets released just after I purchased it" scenario is bound to happen. It is human nature to want the latest-greatest, but if you don't feel good about a purchase, please take some time to research the new features first.

I do not know the specifics of the problem you are having and what steps you have taken to resolve it, but you might want to start a new topic here. There are many people knowledgeable about this program and macro experts that would be happy to help you. I do know firsthand the quality of service the developer provides. He has made over 2600 posts to answer questions and take feature requests. I also know that he responds quickly and professionally to all questions, so don't be afraid to ask.
    I have been using iPhone for 3 years. Spent more than $2.000 on software for that and I have yet to pay for an upgrade (especially the GPS apps really stack up). One month in the BB world and a 14 day old app already asks for a paid upgrade

Guys, the BB community is asking WAY too little from their platform! You don't get firmware upgrades? Well, it's because it's too complicated for RIM. You pay for updates? That's just the nature of things aso aso. If you don't ask for something, you won't get it! That's just how this planet works. So you are doing no one any favours by expecting nothing, because that's the perfect way to get precisely that: nothing!

Btw I have no doubt that the developer can do nice software, but I really don't care much for his way of doing business. It's sneaky imho.
    Last edited by sbcdk; 04-11-12 at 11:44 AM. Reason: speeling isues
    04-11-12 11:11 AM
    If you chose to upgrade (using all the new features) and still want to compare your total price with the temporary sales price, send me an email (support at shortcutme dot com) and I will refund you the $1 difference.
    Now to me, that is some great service! I was on the fence about becoming a new ShortCutMe user, but it's developers like this that make me happy to pay for apps! You just got another customer!
    dimm0k likes this.
    04-11-12 12:06 PM
    @robchow,

This new release has an upgrade fee of $1.99 to cover the cost for developing tons of new features added now and for the ones which will be added (at least) in the next 18 months in form of free upgrades.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...screen-715658/

No one is forced to upgrade. ShortcutMe 5 is stable and rocks for a long time with its rich features.

There are various reasons why ShortcutMe is on sale for $3.99, but none of those reasons are for making you feel that you have paid more. ShortcutMe price will go back to its default full price of $4.99 which is the same as your total price.

I advised you to get ShortcutMe on sale for $2.99 and it was done in good faith.
    At that time I had lots of problems running all the new features in ShortcutMe 6 on all BB models, so I wasn't sure when I could release version 6.

@Vijik,

Thank you for the reply. This is customer service at its finest by addressing customer’s concerns (and questions on product usage as seen in other threads). Your customer service continues to be exceptional.

I *was* frustrated in that just a little over 2 weeks there is a new version and the cost for that version will be cheaper than what was paid. If the new version was a few months out, I won't have felt so annoyed.

I do appreciate the offer for the reimbursement (another great customer service to make the customer whole) but I will decline it. I will review the new features in version 6 and if I do decide to upgrade, I will purchase it at the full upgrade price as this is a great app and I want to support your efforts with continued enhancements as well as possibly new products. Is there a deadline on the upgrade price of $1.99?
    Last edited by robchow; 04-11-12 at 12:55 PM.
    dimm0k likes this.
    04-11-12 12:44 PM
    @robchow,

I checked the emails from you. You are that nice person who contacted us earlier and asked what to do about ShortcutMe.
    I have understanding for your frustration and hope that you accept the offer (better one) I will email you soon.

(No, there is no deadline for the upgrade price)
    Last edited by Vijik; 04-11-12 at 02:32 PM.
    04-11-12 02:22 PM
    The offer really should be open to everyone who supported the product, not just a few persons in one thread in one forum. Make it right for all who bought the program lately and gain the respect that follows.

Personally it doesn't matter much to me, I can afford the dollar. But it's a matter of principles.
    04-11-12 02:37 PM
    Now to me, that is some great service! I was on the fence about becoming a new ShortCutMe user, but it's developers like this that make me happy to pay for apps! You just got another customer!
    Thanks.

Hopefully you will enjoy the features in the app (macros, Event Launcher, Home Screen, etc) more than its customer support.
    04-11-12 02:44 PM
    @robchow,

I checked the emails from you. You are that nice person who contacted us earlier and asked what to do about ShortcutMe.
    I have understanding for your frustration and hope that you accept the offer (better one) I will email you soon.

(No, there is no deadline for the upgrade price)
    @Vijik,

You are the best. Again, I thank you for the offer. I am going to decline once more; I want to continue to support your products (please don't persist or I am going to stop using your apps ). Plus, I don't feel right that I am getting the best customer service I have every experienced for a mobile app while others in a similar situation won't benefit from your generous offer.

After reviewing the enhancements and looking at the videos on Youtube with the new features in action, I will purchase (upgrade) to the latest version. I just hope there isn't a paid upgrade a month from now .

Thank you again for the great products and helping me get things done quicker on the Blackberry.
    Vijik likes this.
    04-11-12 06:54 PM
    Just to add, when I saw the upgrade price I was a little dismayed and was wondering if there was any way for me to work around this. Then I thought about all the wonderful support I was able to get to get SCM working just the way I wanted and I jumped at the upgrade. $1.99 is a very small price to pay for all the support and upcoming features, as well as the current features.
    Vijik likes this.
    04-11-12 10:36 PM
    Vijik I dont like the home screen feature, how can I downgrade to version 5?
    04-12-12 12:03 AM
    Can we make that update icon go away.

Seriously, paid full price ($5) 3 weeks ago and now asking me for another 2 is just pure annoying.

"I just paid, now gotta pay again", if I bought the app when it was on sale, fine... considering I paid full... and 3 weeks later the product is already at its "end of life" is annoying.
    04-15-12 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD