I'm going to install the newest version of QL tonight, as maybe this has been removed but when I used the last release, it was possible to have conflicts with assigned shortcut keys and the app did not tell you and there was no way to check. As I recall, the way QL dealt with it was to ignore the second/conflicting assignment. I'm not convinced that is a better way then the SCM approach.

That said, I believe that QL does a better job then SCM at cleaning up these types of things. For example, several versions ago SCM moved the backup/restore to a different location in the application, several months and versions later and the original menu selection, which has no function at all, is still there. Also, I note that neither app can run the Clock on OS5 (changes in how the application is launched by RIM), in QL the selection is not available in the list of applications under OS5 but in SCM it is there and it should not be because on my device it does nothing.
    01-05-10 07:22 PM
    A similar thing is already mentioned by 2 users.

The answer:
    If the ShortcutMe user select P for Profile and P K for Password Keeper, those shortcuts conflicts with each other.

ShortcutMe let's the user decide to keep this shortcut conflict if they want to. That is because the user might see those shortcuts as the most intuitive and easy to remember shortcut keys.

If they choose to keep that shortcut conflict, then as soon as P is hit, P (profile) and P K (Password Keeper) shortcuts are shown. The user can then either hit K to launch Password Keeper or hit ENTER (or navigate to) P to launch Profile.

Intuitive, easy to remember shortcuts in addition to fully user customizable shortcuts are the goal here.
    That is why we never even thought of offering no shortcut keys to users (QL in first 8 months), and then only offer one key shortcuts (still nothing for Storm users). That would have stopped us to become the best utility app!
    01-05-10 07:30 PM
    I'm going to install the newest version of QL tonight, as maybe this has been removed but when I used the last release, it was possible to have conflicts with assigned shortcut keys and the app did not tell you and there was no way to check. As I recall, the way QL dealt with it was to ignore the second/conflicting assignment. I'm not convinced that is a better way then the SCM approach.

That said, I believe that QL does a better job then SCM at cleaning up these types of things. For example, several versions ago SCM moved the backup/restore to a different location in the application, several months and versions later and the original menu selection, which has no function at all, is still there. Also, I note that neither app can run the Clock on OS5 (changes in how the application is launched by RIM), in QL the selection is not available in the list of applications under OS5 but in SCM it is there and it should not be because on my device it does nothing.
    One of ShortcutMe users wrote to us that QL doesn't do conflict check. It has a button called "Current Shortcuts" that shows existing shortcuts. User has to find out manually if their shortcut is already used.
    If a conflict exists QL launched both shortcuts, or one of them but you can't count which one happens next time!!!!

I did remove the Store/Restore menu item from the main page. But then got several emails from angry users asking why I had removed that feature. So instead of pissing so many users off, and then tell them that the feature was still there but it was moved to another page, I added that menu item again so that the old users can find store/restore feature (will keep it for 1 more month because our logs show there are still some users that have not upgraded to latest ShortcutMe).

Clock does launch on in-secure devices running BB OS 5.0.
    Some of our users have insecure devices.
    Last edited by Vijik; 01-05-10 at 07:48 PM.
    01-05-10 07:46 PM
    RoninKSB,

He is not going to discuss features and compare it to ShortcutMe.
    In his place, I wouldn't either!

The apps in the competition were not voted in by anyone (another detail he is trying to hide).

New features in ShortcutMe 3.8 are shown here:

When will 3.8 be out for Tours?

And I just tried using the internal updating but it suggested the download was for 9700 devices.
    01-05-10 07:54 PM
    When will 3.8 be out for Tours?

And I just tried using the internal updating but it suggested the download was for 9700 devices.
    I am working on porting it to Tour as well as other BB models (81xx, 82xx, 83xx, 85xx, 88xx, 89xx, 90xx, 95xx). In a week or so it will be available for Tour.
    01-05-10 08:14 PM
    Vijik,

I just downloaded 3.8 using the Check for Updates feature, worked like a charm.

Now that you have released this new version, can you start a thread to discuss it? As this thread is not about specific usage questions re: SCM, I don't want to take it off topic. Besides, you need an announcement post with the obligatory exclamation points!

Thanks.
    Already reported release of 3.8 on a separate thread (
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/sh...9700-a-383743/). Please check the new features and report back on that thread.
    01-05-10 08:25 PM
    I won't discuss features because I don't feel like pointing out all the problems scm has. If I point them out you'll just address them and we don't want that now do we?

I didn't say apps were voted in by anyone, only the winners were. However CB did have a committee to choose which apps were nominated of among which SCM was not selected. I'm sure you would agree the crackberry staff have a good handle on whats going on in the blackberry world and that their choices reflect what users are thinking / using / doing / feeling / buying.
    CB users grab what everybody else praises and uses. I would say SCm murders QL. I used your product for a bit and realized it couldn't handle what SCM could. You can't discuss features cause you can't think of any feature your app has that SCM doesn't. I can think of a few off the top of my head the SCM has that yours don't.

Can I get a refund for my $ I paid for QL?

Ok. I'll throw you a bone...

In all due respect, if you're getting so much feedback then why do you still have a 'Check for Conflicts' feature in shortcutme? Has noone has mentioned this?? Why are there any 'conflicts' in your product in the first place? (Yes, I know what the function does.)

A satisfying user experience should not involve 'checking for conflicts'.
    Why isn't the app designed in such a way such that there are no conflicts that force the user to take time to check for them?
    And if you must have 'conflicts' in your app then why isn't the app smart enough to check for these conflicts itself? Why make the user periodically 'check for conflicts'?
    This in my opinion is one of the factors as to why so many people have an unfavorable opinion of the shortcutme user interface. When I first saw that 'Check for Conflicts' in your menu I was like 'HUH??? Conflicts?? Wth???'
    The check conflicts is for the shortcuts. Example. Say you have 'cb' as a shortcut but forgot about it. So you use 'cb' for a new shortcut. Well you do "check conflicts" and it will tell you if cb was already used. Don't try to bash a competing product for stuff that you don't even know what it does. All you have is launch pads with a different name.

I love this thread, and the competition!

I would like to see some QL users try out SCM and report back here. SCM looks good. I have QL, but I am running out of memory.

This is my 100th post - I should be a CrackBerry Abuser now!
    I have used both. I judge from my own experience though and tend not to follow crowds. Seems that QL only has soo many users because people want to be like everybody else. SCM is by far the superior shortcut app. Anybody that knows how to fully use SCM can tell you that.
    01-05-10 08:51 PM
    I think people should explain why they like and use the Launcher they like without unduly criticizing the other one.
    01-05-10 10:15 PM
    Garbage.
    I said in my post I know what the feature does. I own scm myself. When I decide to add this feature to QL you can be sure it will be smart enough to do it for you.

QL has many features scm doesn't. You'd know that if you actually used QL.

Both apps have borrowed from each other however everyone knows that 99% of the time it is QL that comes out with the feature first then scm will add it. SCM is constantly playing catch up. If you want to debate this point I will but you will lose this argument and scm knows it. SCM even took the very first words I came up with to market QuickLaunch: "QuickLaunch is a must have app that...". That was on my website from the 1st day QL launched then when scm came out they say "SCM is a must have app that..".
    Yea no big deal but it just illustrates my point that the innovator between the 2 apps is clearly scm.
    QL was the first to come out with the date/time, screenshot, folders, weather, stay lit, and several other features that if you care to discuss further we can.
    Also QL was the first to come out with the 'menu' look. SCM started out as a full screen app. However, after feedback or whatever they tried to change it to more of a QL look. They even went as far as to post a screenshot of their app on the app store that was cropped in such a way that made it appear to be a popup menu like QL. I think it is still there. They misleadingly show like 1/2 the BB screen so it looks like it pops up from the side. SCM is still a full screen app. It only ~appears~ to be a popup because the way scm works is that it takes a screenshot of the screen/app currently running and then uses that image as the background, all in an effort to make it appear like QL. If you didn't know that then open scm from the homescreen and note the time displayed. It will never change because it's a screenshot.
    With QL whatever is going on in the background will stlll be visible. The date, the time, a clock, animation etc. You can see it all. With scm you get a static image of the past. Not that big of a deal but kind of shoddy and more of the copy/catch up issue.

CB users grab what everybody else praises and uses. I would say SCm murders QL. I used your product for a bit and realized it couldn't handle what SCM could. You can't discuss features cause you can't think of any feature your app has that SCM doesn't. I can think of a few off the top of my head the SCM has that yours don't.

Can I get a refund for my $ I paid for QL?

The check conflicts is for the shortcuts. Example. Say you have 'cb' as a shortcut but forgot about it. So you use 'cb' for a new shortcut. Well you do "check conflicts" and it will tell you if cb was already used. Don't try to bash a competing product for stuff that you don't even know what it does. All you have is launch pads with a different name.

I have used both. I judge from my own experience though and tend not to follow crowds. Seems that QL only has soo many users because people want to be like everybody else. SCM is by far the superior shortcut app. Anybody that knows how to fully use SCM can tell you that.
    Last edited by CheetahAce; 01-05-10 at 10:27 PM.
    01-05-10 10:23 PM
    Wow! Let it out, man. Let it out!

I own both programs, I think both are pretty cool. I also think that SCM does somethings QL does not do and vice versa. I like both and have been active in these forums with posts and questions and suggestions upon the release of new versions of both programs.

It is certainly not my opinion that SCM is a shoddy also ran but than again if I did think that I would be an ***** to use it, wouldn't I.
    01-05-10 11:23 PM
    Wow! Let it out, man. Let it out!

I own both programs, I think both are pretty cool. I also think that SCM does somethings QL does not do and vice versa. I like both and have been active in these forums with posts and questions and suggestions upon the release of new versions of both programs.

It is certainly not my opinion that SCM is a shoddy also ran but than again if I did think that I would be an ***** to use it, wouldn't I.
    OK, maybe the word 'shoddy' was a bit much. I take it back.
    01-05-10 11:33 PM
    QuickLaunch has been updated to v2.17 for the 9700.
    Release thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=399679

New Features: Homescreen Hotkey and GPS Toggle.

Ok, scm... time to play catch up.. again.
    01-05-10 11:33 PM
    LOL. See, you coulda left that last part out.
    The homescreen hotkey simple brings you to the Home Screen, right? Isn't already covered by a dedicated button? Can you provide any examples of usage that would be quicker than the Red button?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 12:17 AM
    P. S. SCM already has the Home Screen thing unless yours does something other then return you to the Home Screen. Never use it.

01-06-10 12:22 AM
    No. The homescreen hotkey allows you to launch QL by pressing the letter 'Q' on your keypad. SCM does not have this feature until they catch up. This feature was requested by a QL user earlier in this thread.

QuickLaunch also has the homescreen shortcut you are talking about. It had that before scm too.
    01-06-10 12:30 AM
    LOL. See, you coulda left that last part out.
    The homescreen hotkey simple brings you to the Home Screen, right? Isn't already covered by a dedicated button? Can you provide any examples of usage that would be quicker than the Red button?

The purpose of the red button is not to bring you to the homescreen. It puts the currently running app in the background that's all.
    01-06-10 12:33 AM
    So QSMS is always running in the background? I don't see it in any process list! If QSMS is on run on demand, then QL can be too. Faster to launch if set to a key!

Done. Added to QL v2.17.
    01-06-10 12:36 AM
    Let's explore your "%99" statement:

- Application list-
    SCM 03/2009,
    QL 2 months later (QL users had to first launch an app then add it to QL)

- Shortcut Keys-
    SCM: 03/2009,
    QL: 6 months later (still not supported for QL for storm, silly one key shortcut for other BB devices!!!) Common, copy it.

- Showing shortcuts beside the shortcut name-
    SCM: March 2009, QL: 7 months later

- Multi-click feature-
    SCM: 03/2009,
    QL: 9 months later

- Store/restore feature-
    SCM 04/2009,
    QL: 1 months later

So far, this covers the most crucial feature for a shortcut app, all of them you have copied from ShortcutMe.

Others:
    - Calendar_New,
    AddressBook_New,
    Calendar_DayView,
    Calendar_WeekView,
    Calendar_MonthView,
    Calendar_AgendaView
    SCM: 05/2009, QL: 3 months later.

- BT toggle-
    SCM: 06/2009, QL: 2 months later

- BT: Toggle with no parameter-
    SCM:10/2009 as QL was releasing a copy of the 2 months earlier SCM BT_toggle feature ,
    QL: 2 weeks later.

- Light App Switcher-
    SCM: 05/2009,
    QL: 2 months later

- GPS Config-
    SCM: 06/2009,
    QL: 4 months later

- FileLauncher, FolderShortcut-
    QL 2 weeks later

- WiFi toggle-
    QL: 1 month later

- Radio toggle-
    QL: 5 months later

I think this should be enough to blow your "intelligent" 99% statements away. (I guessed that you owned a ShortcutMe license. You needed it to copy the features).

Regarding Background image: I did not want to end up like you having a flickering application and then ask customers to f*** off or pay.
    That is why no one wants to copy this "feature" of your app that works like a ticking bomb.
    ShortcutMe has never tried to look like a menu app. Menu's are ugly, uni color and lifeless. That is why a menu app always need to be shown on various colorful background images to make people think it is nice:
    See it without the background:

01-06-10 12:39 AM
    nice crop job again
    01-06-10 12:43 AM
    a menu app always need to be shown on various colorful background images to make people think it is nice:
    There's no reason to make people 'think' QL is nice by adding colors. I see many comments about how scm looks like a toy. In fact I've seen the word 'ugly' used several times. QL has it's own, better manta which is to look like a native app, a fact that MANY people have posted on continuously to this day as being 'nice'. Even in this thread. I have never seen any posts where someone has said scm looks nice. Find one and I'll recant. QL has been in the top 5 selling apps since day 1. Shortcutme has never once been even in the top 100.

See niceness proof here:

QuickLaunch

Last edited by CheetahAce; 01-06-10 at 12:59 AM.
    01-06-10 12:50 AM
    Here we go again. First telling a lie about 99% of the time ShortcutMe copies from QL. Then when faced with facts pointing you are totally wrong, try derailing the facts.
    Either challenge the facts in my post that shows you are copying SCM features, or try to explain why you are telling lies about SCM.
    01-06-10 12:55 AM
    How about you explain why you had that misleading cropped image up for so long making scm appear to be a popup menu coming out of the side of the screen ala QuickLaunch that I've noticed you've removed from all your posts?
    01-06-10 01:09 AM
    And I've noticed you've also got QuickLaunch's StayLit feature now. Couldn't you think of something to else to call it?
    01-06-10 01:10 AM
    You need to explain why you lied about 99% of the time SCM copies from QL while most of the important stuff you have are a copy of SCM feature introduced months earlier.

Are you bad in math or you just can't be honest with your self?
    01-06-10 01:15 AM
    No I"m actually pretty good at math. Yes 99% was an exaggeration however shortcutme started out from day one copying QL's features. Sure it was amusing at first because you were new but it became a bit of an annoyance after repeated offenses. The only reason I didnt add multi click until recently was out of respect. I can show you many emails where I've told friends and customers I won't add that feature because it's scm's thing however when I saw you were going to take my StayLit feature and call it StayLit... well that's when I took my gloves off. You could have at least called it something else.
    01-06-10 01:30 AM
169 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD