You're only saying that because scm wasn't even nominated.

The devil is in the details:

Best app out of these apps:

* Tetherberry
    * BerryBuzz
    * BerryWeather
    * QuickLaunch
    * MeterBerry
    * QuickPull
    * LaterDude Pro

If QL is appointed the best app between other apps that are not shortcut/launcher app at all, then it gives much complement to ShortcutMe which beats QL in every aspect that matters for a shortcut application.
    01-04-10 11:29 PM
    I'm not really sure what this has to do with this discussion but I will say this, considering the other competition in the category, I would have been stunned if QL had lost. Also, aren't QL and SCM more appropriately described as a utilities?

As someone else posted earlier, the competition is great and the fact that both of you are around in these forums, accessible to the user base, is fantastic.

You have every reason to be proud of the program you have created but can we keep this conversation centered on the relative benefits of each application? Please.
    I see no problem pointing out the fact that QL won. If scm had won you know very well he would have mentioned it too. The title of this thread is SCM vs QL. QL won an award so why not mention that? I prefer not to list all the reasons why QL is better than SCM just so the SCM guys could jump on it and start a war of words so one short statement citing an official victory for QL in an scm vs QL titled thread is fair. If people come to this thread looking to learn about scm and QL I think they should know which one was acknowledged by the CB community. I'm not attacking anyone or anything. just pointing out a fact that is entirely relevant to this thread.

And to further elaborate, there are certain 'attributes' of an app that can't be as effectively described in words but are implied or inferred by a community vote which can help a customer decide where to invest their money. Things that lean towards look and feel, a satisfying user experience for example are among these.
    Last edited by CheetahAce; 01-05-10 at 12:05 AM.
    01-04-10 11:38 PM
    Quicklaunch = pownage

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 12:03 AM
    I see no problem pointing out the fact that QL won. If scm had won you know very well he would have mentioned it too. The title of this thread is SCM vs QL. QL won an award so why not mention that? I prefer not to list all the reasons why QL is better than SCM just so the SCM guys could jump on it and start a war of words so one short statement citing an official victory for QL in an scm vs QL titled thread is fair. If people come to this thread looking to learn about scm and QL I think they should know which one was acknowledged by the CB community. I'm not attacking anyone or anything. just pointing out a fact that is entirely relevant to this thread.

And to further elaborate, there are certain 'attributes' of an app that can't be as effectively described in words but are implied or inferred by a community vote which can help a customer decide where to invest their money. Things that lean towards look and feel, a satisfying user experience are among these.
    I don't want to belabor this but you do realize that the competition/vote in which you won was not against SCM. SCM was not amongst the selection of applications in that category, unless I really missed something, which would seem to be a necessary prerequisite to a SCM v. QL victory. This was probably a good this as the rabid fans would have turned the contest into a battle which would have left the earth a desolate and bleak wasteland.

Also, I understood the title of this thread to be more of a shorthand for "which of the 2 will do what I need" as opposed to a literal "who would win in a death match", perhaps my interpretation was wrong.

01-05-10 12:23 AM
    Yes I do realize that although an argument can be made that it was against scm since all apps in the CB store were eligible to be nominated and those who decided which apps were nominated picked the best apps in their humble opinion.
    Anyyyywayyy.... competition is good. I'm out.
    01-05-10 12:30 AM
    QL needs to be able to set itself to a key. That way we can use it as a (for example) "Q" key launcher. Much faster when your thumbs are in typing position to hit a keyboard shortcut key than the convenience key! And add the international YYYY-MM-DD notation!

01-05-10 02:44 AM
    And lose the italicized font when browsing submenus, hard to read italiced font. Go normal, of bold for legibility across all font types!

01-05-10 02:45 AM
    QL needs to be able to set itself to a key. That way we can use it as a (for example) "Q" key launcher. Much faster when your thumbs are in typing position to hit a keyboard shortcut key than the convenience key!
    I seem to recall that the issue with implementing a feature like this is that it would require the programs to be running all the time as the only keys the BlackBerry OS allows to launch programs are the convenience keys.

Last edited by RoninKSB; 01-05-10 at 07:28 AM.
    01-05-10 05:26 AM
    I seem to recall that the issue with implementing a feature like this is that it would require the programs to be running all the time as the only keys the BlackBerry OS allows to launch programs are the convenience keys.

This is correct. thanks
    01-05-10 09:57 AM
    Now with Direct Launch feature of ShortcutMe, you don't even need to create a shortcut:
    2 x Conv Key + S + C + Enter to launch/take Screenshot
    Sounds good, can't wait to try it out.
    01-05-10 11:55 AM
    This is correct. thanks
    So QSMS is always running in the background? I don't see it in any process list! If QSMS is on run on demand, then QL can be too. Faster to launch if set to a key!

01-05-10 12:40 PM
    Sounds good, can't wait to try it out.
    RoninKSB,

He is not going to discuss features and compare it to ShortcutMe.
    In his place, I wouldn't either!

The apps in the competition were not voted in by anyone (another detail he is trying to hide).

New features in ShortcutMe 3.8 are shown here:

01-05-10 05:57 PM
    I won't discuss features because I don't feel like pointing out all the problems scm has. If I point them out you'll just address them and we don't want that now do we?

I didn't say apps were voted in by anyone, only the winners were. However CB did have a committee to choose which apps were nominated of among which SCM was not selected. I'm sure you would agree the crackberry staff have a good handle on whats going on in the blackberry world and that their choices reflect what users are thinking / using / doing / feeling / buying.
    01-05-10 06:07 PM
    Discuss what is good in your app. What makes it so good that it can win in a competition with 4 other apps, none of them in the same category.

Thanks that this time, when someone started to compare your app with ShortcutMe you did not call them affiliated users, and then derailing discussions about feature comparison into something else (but then again, you try now with another policy to achieve the same goal.)

We are getting our feedback from several thousands ShortcutMe users. Don't really need you to "help" improving the product.

Watch and enjoy the speed and convenience:
    Last edited by Vijik; 01-05-10 at 06:47 PM.
    01-05-10 06:26 PM
    Seems like both are excellent applications.
    Having used QL, and very happy with it, I am sure there are many Shortcut users who are equally satisfied. Its a shame there are two great applications that will do the same thing. Wish there was equal drive to excellence in other type of applications.
    Personally being someone who hates or cannot remember keyboard shortcuts and rely on mouse and scrolling, QL works for me. Plus, its hard for me to read the little keys.
    01-05-10 06:28 PM
    shortcutme is great check the video it helps to see what it looks like, try the free trial QL doesn't have a trial
    01-05-10 06:29 PM
    I love this thread, and the competition!

I would like to see some QL users try out SCM and report back here. SCM looks good. I have QL, but I am running out of memory.

This is my 100th post - I should be a CrackBerry Abuser now!
    01-05-10 06:41 PM
    Seems like both are excellent applications.
    Having used QL, and very happy with it, I am sure there are many Shortcut users who are equally satisfied. Its a shame there are two great applications that will do the same thing. Wish there was equal drive to excellence in other type of applications.
    Personally being someone who hates or cannot remember keyboard shortcuts and rely on mouse and scrolling, QL works for me. Plus, its hard for me to read the little keys.
    When you watch the video ( ) go to time 1:47. That is the mouse and scrolling feature of ShortcutMe.

Then go to time 1:34 where you can see how even Mouse-and-Scrolling guys can speed up things with ShortcutMe (not available in QuickLaunch).

Then, go to time 0:09 to see what you miss. And see how fast Mouse-and_Scrolling guys can become when they get used to their shortcuts over time using intuitive shortcuts (S W for Search Wikipedia, T B for Toggle Bluetooth, etc.).
    01-05-10 06:45 PM
    I love this thread, and the competition!

I would like to see some QL users try out SCM and report back here. SCM looks good. I have QL, but I am running out of memory.

This is my 100th post - I should be a CrackBerry Abuser now!
    Just realized I was an abuser too? What do we win.......more crack?
    01-05-10 06:47 PM
    Its a shame there are two great applications that will do the same thing.
    Really, I think that is the best thing of all. There is more than one way to skin a cat and this way we can chose a program that suits our usage patterns.

P.S. I can remember all the shortcuts either, heck now that I have a 9700 with all the memory most days I don't remember all the applications I have on my phone. I pick shortcuts that I don't have to remember. For example, in QL I would only assign shortcut keys to my most frequently used programs/functions and it would always be the first letter of the program function. In SCM, I can be more versatile with shortcuts but the theory is the same, I assign shortcuts that make sense like FB for Facebook or AT for AutoText.
    01-05-10 06:55 PM
    Really, I think that is the best thing of all. There is more than one way to skin a cat and this way we can chose a program that suits our usage patterns.

P.S. I can remember all the shortcuts either, heck now that I have a 9700 with all the memory most days I don't remember all the applications I have on my phone. I pick shortcuts that I don't have to remember. For example, in QL I would only assign shortcut keys to my most frequently used programs/functions and it would always be the first letter of the program function. In SCM, I can be more versatile with shortcuts but the theory is the same, I assign shortcuts that make sense like FB for Facebook or AT for AutoText.
    Sounds good. Will wait for the new QL feature update and then try SCM
    01-05-10 06:58 PM
    Vijik,

I just downloaded 3.8 using the Check for Updates feature, worked like a charm.

Now that you have released this new version, can you start a thread to discuss it? As this thread is not about specific usage questions re: SCM, I don't want to take it off topic. Besides, you need an announcement post with the obligatory exclamation points!

Thanks.
    01-05-10 07:02 PM
    Ok. I'll throw you a bone...

In all due respect, if you're getting so much feedback then why do you still have a 'Check for Conflicts' feature in shortcutme? Has noone has mentioned this?? Why are there any 'conflicts' in your product in the first place? (Yes, I know what the function does.)

A satisfying user experience should not involve 'checking for conflicts'.
    Why isn't the app designed in such a way such that there are no conflicts that force the user to take time to check for them?
    And if you must have 'conflicts' in your app then why isn't the app smart enough to check for these conflicts itself? Why make the user periodically 'check for conflicts'?
    This in my opinion is one of the factors as to why so many people have an unfavorable opinion of the shortcutme user interface. When I first saw that 'Check for Conflicts' in your menu I was like 'HUH??? Conflicts?? Wth???'

Discuss what is good in your app. What makes it so good that it can win in a competition with 4 other apps, none of them in the same category.

Thanks that this time, when someone started to compare your app with ShortcutMe you did not call them affiliated users, and then derailing discussions about feature comparison into something else (but then again, you try now with another policy to achieve the same goal.)

We are getting our feedback from several thousands ShortcutMe users. Don't really need you to "help" improving the product.

Watch and enjoy the speed and convenience:
    01-05-10 07:03 PM
    On a somewhat related topic, for QL, I end up accidentally assigning the same shortcut key for two applications..........for example R for Repligo Reader and Reboot.
    Is it possible to have a feature that prompts that the specific key is being used and give the option to select the application to be assigned, and not allow the same key to be assigned to different applications?
    Thanks.
    01-05-10 07:08 PM
    Yes, this will be added in the future. It's on my list. Thanks.
    01-05-10 07:13 PM
169 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD