I was reading about the ShortcutMe app and it boasted the ability to quickly toggle Bluetooth and WiFi on/off.

I'm a big fan of RedZapper's 3G Bold theme and the theme integrates Quicklaunch into the main screen, which looks really awesome. However, can anyone who uses Quicklaunch verify whether or not the ability to toggle Bluetooth and WiFi is do-able in QuickLaunch?

Any feedback regarding this specific feature is appreciated - as well as any other comparisons between them that you think is important for me to know before I buy one of these apps over the other! Thanks all.
    Actually, Redzapper's 3G tour theme goes right to BT set up from the network icon at the top of the screen. btw, I agree it is a very cool theme!
    08-17-09 02:41 PM
    I wonder why these QL vs. SCM threads keep popping up.

I'd venture to say the reason these threads keep popping up would be that people just want to get down to the bottom of it and find out which to invest in and which to not waste their money or time on (two important things), unless of course you want to try both.
    12-20-09 12:50 AM
    Are programs like ShortcutMe & QuickLaunch the only way to program apps onto speed dial keys with a BB Tour? I haven't had the Tour but a day, but I get the sense that the only thing speed dial can do is dial a number. Is that the case? Thx. -Rich
    12-30-09 08:09 AM
    If you turn off "dial from home screen" then there are some dedicated keystrokes that bring up certain apps. Those cannot be changed. These launchers provide another way of getting apps but they work best if assigned to a convenience key (left or right).
    12-30-09 09:03 AM
    Quicklaunch for the Tour and Storm (I'm sure others will be coming soon) has been updated to 2.16 and includes multi click - double, triple or quadruple clicks of the convenience key to launch apps.

There's also a new backlight brightness function, allowing you to quickly brighten or dim the screen...

To the OP, the wifi and bluetooth toggle has been around for one or two updates now and is quick and macro-less through manage connections.

can anyone who uses Quicklaunch verify whether or not the ability to toggle Bluetooth and WiFi is do-able in QuickLaunch?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 09:33 AM
    I have the latest QL update. When I activate the multi click option, QL no longer opens when I press the hotspot on my theme, nor does it open when I press the QL icon. When I take it off of multi click everything works normally again. What did I do wrong?
    12-30-09 09:56 AM
    I have the latest QL update. When I activate the multi click option, QL no longer opens when I press the hotspot on my theme, nor does it open when I press the QL icon. When I take it off of multi click everything works normally again. What did I do wrong?
    Dunno, I have 2.15 as I ha?e an 8900.
    Have you checked the release thread for your version, to see if anyone has the same prob or a fix?
    If lall else fails, email cheetahace at [email protected]

12-30-09 10:07 AM
    Did you double check the application permissions for QL after installing the update? There's been times the permissions don't stick if you change them while installing the app.
    12-30-09 11:28 AM
    QL people are pretty passionate.

I have used both and the feature set on both is pretty much identical, especially now that QL has added multi-click support to the convenience keys, both apps are a great bargain and the developers are about as responsive as possible.

The significant difference between the two apps is implementation. For me, at least, I prefer the Shortcutme implementation as I keep going back to it no matter how many times I install and use QL. I think that, once set up, shortcutme is superfast to use and QL requires way too much scrolling which slows down the selection of apps.

I strongly suggest that anyone considering a shortcut application try both, you won't regret it either way.
    Last edited by RoninKSB; 01-01-10 at 08:47 PM. Reason: edited for typos
    01-01-10 02:27 PM
    shortcutme has a free trial for anyone who wants to try it
    01-01-10 05:26 PM
    i've had scm on a 9000 and not the 9700. the multiclick is cool, tho sometimes it eats the clicks (might be user error!). i have dial from home screen set to no so i use most of the built in shortcuts religiously. ive not tried ql and came to this thread to find out if i should try it. right now, im on the fence and, barring some other compelling function that crops up, im going to stick with scm.

im going on vaca in a few days and i'll lie in the sun, sipping LI iced teas. and will round out my scm setup.

cheers!
    01-03-10 12:40 PM
    i've had scm on a 9000 and not the 9700. the multiclick is cool, tho sometimes it eats the clicks (might be user error!). i have dial from home screen set to no so i use most of the built in shortcuts religiously. ive not tried ql and came to this thread to find out if i should try it. right now, im on the fence and, barring some other compelling function that crops up, im going to stick with scm.

im going on vaca in a few days and i'll lie in the sun, sipping LI iced teas. and will round out my scm setup.

cheers!
    I recently modified my setup of SCM to minimize my use of the multi-click mainly because I could not remember all of them, and as a result I was not using them. I decided to limit the multi-click to the left key and made them all involve messaging (i.e. messages, BBM, Beejive). Also, because of the addition of categories and the increased shortcut limit, I have made the applications/functions that were assigned to multi-clicks now single letter shortcuts with no real loss of speed.

I too have dealt with SCM eating multi-clicks, I have come to the conclusion that the cause is usually my clicking too fast and sometimes it is because the BB is involved is something CPU intensive and the click does not register.
    01-03-10 05:48 PM
    New features in ShortcutMe 3.8:

- Direct Launch
    No need to create a shortcut to launch an application anymore!
    Just double click the conv key and start entering the name of the application in your mind! (ShortcutMe's dynamic list will make sure that you don't even need to enter the entire application name)
    If you click the conv key once then you are in the old mode where your shortcuts are available, click it twice to launch apps directly. (Assuming you have set the double-conv-key-click to "DirectLaunch_Toggle")

Direct Launch is not only for launching installed applications but also for 'launching' applications that are already running in the background and for launching ShortcutMe's additional tasks like Calendar_New, MemoPad_New, Radio_Toggle, Search_google, StayLit, etc.

- Added following new search features (Create a shortcut for them or use Direct Launch to launch them):
    Search_All, Search_Google, Search_Amazon, Search_YouTube, Search_Wikipedia, Search_Yahoo, Search_Flickr, Search_GoogleNews, Search_IMDB, Search_Newegg, Search_Twitter

Normal Use: Click S G to launch Search Google. Then enter your search phrase and click on OK to see the result of the google search.

Power users (as usual, something there for power users): Quick Advance-Search

Steps to setup:
    1- Use BlackBerry Browser to search using any search engine with advance search feature. Let's say Google advance. Set all the parameters in google search as you wanted to use for your advance search. (For example set Date and region parameter of the google search, or any other parameters available). Set the search phrase to "shortcutme" (without quotes). Click on the search button to start the google search. Then use the menu options to copy the web link for the shown page.

2- Now create a shortcut (for example) like this:
    AppName: Search_Google
    DisplayName: Search Google Advance
    Shortcuts: S G A
    Parameter: (Paste the web address from step 1 here)

Now, any time you hit S G A, and enter a search word, you do an advance search for that word!

- StayLit added. Create a shortcut to force the back light to stay on. (When activated, it can only be turned off by launching ShortcutMe)
    Available also from Direct Launch so you don't even need to create a shortcut for it!
    Last edited by Vijik; 01-03-10 at 11:33 PM.
    01-03-10 10:43 PM
    Competition at its finest. I hope neither of you run out of steam!
    01-03-10 11:01 PM
    Never tried SCM, and correct me if I am wrong...........the way I see it works is with the short cuts on the keyboard. Right? QL works with scrolling the menu.

Many people love to do shortcuts on the computer.........like CTRL+V for paste. and SCM would be perfect for them.
    Others who prefer the right click of the mouse would prefer QL?

Did I get it close?
    01-03-10 11:05 PM
    Don't worry. I won't.
    Competition at its finest. I hope neither of you run out of steam!
    01-03-10 11:26 PM
    shortcutme has a free trial for anyone who wants to try it
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    ShortcutMe has offered free and fully functional trial version since day one (March 15th 2009) so that people can try it before buying it.
    01-03-10 11:29 PM
    Never tried SCM, and correct me if I am wrong...........the way I see it works is with the short cuts on the keyboard. Right? QL works with scrolling the menu.

Many people love to do shortcuts on the computer.........like CTRL+V for paste. and SCM would be perfect for them.

Did I get it close?
    ShortcutMe allows you to
    1- launch using scrolling and click. (For those who like scrolling)

2- launch apps/tasks using intuitive shortcuts
    (Intuitive Shortcuts when you can assign up to 3 keys to a shortcuts). (For those who like CTRL+V)

Only allowing one key for a shortcut is not a good idea for a shortcut app:

S for Search_Google,
    ? for Search YouTube,
    ? for SMS,
    ? for StayLit).

With ShortcutMe:
    S G for Google Search,
    S Y (or S Y T) for Search YouTube
    S M for SMS
    S T (Or S L) for StayLit

3- launch using combination of 1 and 2:
    Click U to see only Utility shortcuts, then navigate to (shorter list, therefore faster to navigate to) it to launch.

Now with Direct Launch feature of ShortcutMe, you don't even need to create a shortcut:
    2 x Conv Key + S + C + Enter to launch/take Screenshot
    01-03-10 11:53 PM

Did I get it close?
    Not totally, QL does both the "keyboard shortcuts" and "mouse cllicks"... Whichever your preference is.

01-04-10 12:09 AM
    Not totally, QL does both the "keyboard shortcuts" and "mouse cllicks"... Whichever your preference is.

Do you mean this with "Keyboard Shortcuts":

S for Search_Google,
    ? for Search YouTube,
    ? for SMS,
    ? for StayLit).

And what about "Keyboard Shortcuts" for Storm 1 and Storm 2 ?

FYI: ShortcutMe has "Keyboard Shortcuts" (1, 2 or 3 key combination) for both Storm 1 and Storm 2.
    Last edited by Vijik; 01-04-10 at 12:31 AM.
    01-04-10 12:28 AM

Did I get it close?
    Kinda. Both apps support keyboard shortcuts and scrolling. Of course, the difference is in the emphasis. SCM has a greater and more extensive emphasis on keyboard use while QL has a greater emphasis on scrolling and less so for keyboard shortcuts. For example, in either app you can scroll and click to get to an app but QL also allows for assigning a letter shortcut key to function/app thus limiting keyboard launching to 26 apps/functions. On the other hand, SCM allow up to 3 keys per app thus permitting far more keyboard launch combinations.

That said, I think your analogy is apt.
    01-04-10 03:23 PM
    RoninKSB,

ShortcutMe did have more extensive emphasis on keyboard when it was released for the first time 10 months ago (with multi-click and multi shortcut keys).

Over time we have made the scrolling-clicking part of it also to be competitive.

Separate colors for shortcuts, categories and dynamic list that shrinks and reduces scrolling requirements as soon as a key is clicked are all working to make the scrolling-guys faster to launch their apps.
    01-04-10 08:08 PM
    Well I have one thing to add...

QuickLaunch

01-04-10 10:06 PM
    The devil is in the details:

Best app out of these apps:

* Tetherberry
    * BerryBuzz
    * BerryWeather
    * QuickLaunch
    * MeterBerry
    * QuickPull
    * LaterDude Pro

If QL is appointed the best app between other apps that are not shortcut/launcher app at all, then it gives much complement to ShortcutMe which beats QL in every aspect that matters for a shortcut application.
    01-04-10 10:37 PM
    Well I have one thing to add...

QuickLaunch

I'm not really sure what this has to do with this discussion but I will say this, considering the other competition in the category, I would have been stunned if QL had lost. Also, aren't QL and SCM more appropriately described as a utilities?

As someone else posted earlier, the competition is great and the fact that both of you are around in these forums, accessible to the user base, is fantastic.

You have every reason to be proud of the program you have created but can we keep this conversation centered on the relative benefits of each application? Please.
    01-04-10 11:11 PM
169 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD