I was reading about the ShortcutMe app and it boasted the ability to quickly toggle Bluetooth and WiFi on/off.

I'm a big fan of RedZapper's 3G Bold theme and the theme integrates Quicklaunch into the main screen, which looks really awesome. However, can anyone who uses Quicklaunch verify whether or not the ability to toggle Bluetooth and WiFi is do-able in QuickLaunch?

Any feedback regarding this specific feature is appreciated - as well as any other comparisons between them that you think is important for me to know before I buy one of these apps over the other! Thanks all.
    08-10-09 01:39 PM
    Wi-Fi is (thanks for asking, I never looked at ALL the apps that were available when I scrolled in QL). I'm checking the BT. Right now when I added it to the QL menu it just took me to the BT menu where I can then hit the menu button and disable BT that way. Whereas for the WiFi it was just a matter of launching QL, then using the shortcut key for WiFi and it actually toggled it on and off.
    08-10-09 01:47 PM
    Nope, I didn't see anything other than BT config.
    08-10-09 01:49 PM
    Right now when I added it to the QL menu it just took me to the BT menu where I can then hit the menu button and disable BT that way. Whereas for the WiFi it was just a matter of launching QL, then using the shortcut key for WiFi and it actually toggled it on and off.
    Thanks for looking... so really, QL doesn't help at all with toggling bluetooth and Wifi on/off. I mean, right now I have the "Manage Connections" icon as 1 of my 6 icons on my homescreen. If you count the # of steps required to turn either one on/off:

1. Scroll to "manage connections" icon
    2. Click once to get to the menu
    3. Scroll to Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth)
    4. Click once to check/uncheck the box
    5. Exit

I think with ShortcutMe, you can press a couple of letters on the keypad and it will toggle it on/off without going into the menu and having you check those boxes manually. Can anyone confirm?
    08-10-09 02:04 PM
    Wifi toggle is there but no BT. At the same time, having "Manage Connections" can serve the same purpose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 02:06 PM
    Thanks for looking... so really, QL doesn't help at all with toggling bluetooth and Wifi on/off. I mean, right now I have the "Manage Connections" icon as 1 of my 6 icons on my homescreen. If you count the # of steps required to turn either one on/off:

5. Exit

I think with ShortcutMe, you can press a couple of letters on the keypad and it will toggle it on/off without going into the menu and having you check those boxes manually. Can anyone confirm?
    Well for WiFi it's very helpful. In terms of keystrokes it's 2 for me to disable wifi using QL. I have QL as a hotkey on the left side. So I hit the left menu button, then hit W and the wifi turns off or on. For bluetooth it's not a toggle.
    Guess what? I wrote to QL and they got right back to me. I told them that location profiler does this already and i'd swear from the questions that they are looking into it. so i guess we'll see
    08-10-09 04:38 PM
    The next update of QuickLaunch will have Bluetooth toggle.
    08-10-09 07:18 PM
    QuickLaunch is a must-have app for its ease of use. I don't feel the same way about ShortcutMe. Good concept, but I like QuickLaunch's execution of their concept more. Agreed, wi-fi toggle is there, and Bluetooth config is also a menu option...or Manage Connections. There are so many ways to configure the app it's hard to complain.
    08-10-09 08:03 PM
    Been using quicklaunch since it came out along with its upgrades. I know one thing, its quick and flawless on my Bold.
    08-10-09 08:35 PM
    I was reading about the ShortcutMe app and it boasted the ability to quickly toggle Bluetooth and WiFi on/off.

I'm a big fan of RedZapper's 3G Bold theme and the theme integrates Quicklaunch into the main screen, which looks really awesome. However, can anyone who uses Quicklaunch verify whether or not the ability to toggle Bluetooth and WiFi is do-able in QuickLaunch?

Any feedback regarding this specific feature is appreciated - as well as any other comparisons between them that you think is important for me to know before I buy one of these apps over the other! Thanks all.
    I am license owner of both apps.

This is why I prefer ShortcutMe:

ShortcutMe let's users access their shortcuts faster and in a more intuitive way than QuickLaunch

ShortcutMe is faster:
    By the time QuickLaunch user navigates through menus, folders and subfolders with trackball rolling and clicking, a ShortcutMe user has already launched their shortcut and are well ahead of the QL users.
    And that is because of the ShortcutMe's multiclick feature and the combination of the multi character shortcuts with a dynamic shortcut list.

ShortcutMe's shortcuts are intuitive:

Up to 3 characters can be set for a shortcut in ShortcutMe. That makes it easy for the user to choose a intuitive shortcut.

QL allows only one key to be chosen for shortcut. And this forces users to choose not intuitive and difficult to remember shortcuts. It is like BlackBerrys own shortcuts:
    C for Compose
    L for Calendar
    U for Calculator

Continuity
    If you have QuickLaunch and then later on decide to change to a touch screen BlackBerry, QL fails you as it doesn't offer shortcuts for Storm version.
    ShortcutMe for Storm will however give you access to a virtual keyboard as soon as you click the convenience key. So, doesn't matter what BlackBerry you own you can always click conv. key + T + B to toggle Bluetooth.

ShortcutMe has a better and faster Weather feature

ShortcutMe shows current condition, image of the weather condition and 5 days forecast.
    Quick Launch shows only low and high temp for your city. In most cases it is useless: 20 is the temp in Florida for QL user. But is it raining? Is it sunny? Is a tornado/hurricane passing the city?

With ShortcutMe you can double click right conv key to see 5 days weather forecast, triple click the same key to see animated radar image for your area, quadruple click it launch for example a weather related app. QL does not have multi-click feature.

If you are interested in stock market, ShortcutMe also has a fast stock market and portfolio feature that can be launched by either multiclicking a key or clicking convenience key + a key combination of your choice.

The list is long!

ShortcutMe has trial version. Try it for your self. (QL does not have a trial version as far as I know)
    08-10-09 08:54 PM
    haha. another post by someone 'not affiliated' with shortcutme. lol.
    same post everyday for months. doesnt seem to be having any effect though for some reason. i wonder why...?
    08-10-09 10:46 PM
    haha. another post by someone 'not affiliated' with shortcutme. lol.
    same post everyday for months. doesnt seem to be having any effect though for some reason. i wonder why...?
    Instead of poisoning the discussion, try challenging the facts in the post.
    You would then sound at least a little bit professional.
    08-10-09 10:55 PM
    Lol @ professional. Yeah, opinions don't constitute anyone in being a professional. Relax.

08-10-09 11:05 PM
    Lol @ professional. Yeah, opinions don't constitute anyone in being a professional. Relax.

Attacking the messenger instead of discussing the subject is, in my opinion, a none professional act.
    CheetahA and co. are used to do that when they can't challenge the facts presented.
    08-10-09 11:20 PM
    As the originator of this thread, will you two do us all a favor and stop bickering within this forum... I'd like to stick to addressing the original question.

aslak: Thanks for your response, but you will have to ultimately admit that your post is pretty much a copy + paste from some other post that addresses ShortcutMe's advantages and QL's failures instead of specifically addressing my orignal question. I'm not asking you to come right out and say "okay you got me, I'm affiliated with ShortcutMe" but don't make it so damn obvious.

CheetahAce & fabuloso: Any logical person who reads the post would 95% surely arrive at your conclusion that aslak is a supporter/affiliated with ShortcutMe... geezes, I simply looked at the length of his post and I could tell it was a copy + paste job, not one directed at my original question. No need to beat it out of him.
    Last edited by ddr2nite; 08-11-09 at 12:17 AM.
    08-11-09 12:14 AM
    I have purchased many apps promising to butter my bread and 90% of them end up deleted from my devices and archived. Will not mention any names though some have been highly praised by generally accepted 'experts'.
    QL is a primary app and remains core to my useage. There are 2 reasons for this and no comparison to any other app will change my view.
    They are:
    1. Stable
    2. simple
    if there were one other reason it is the temperment of the developer. the class they exhibit makes me feel good.
    08-11-09 12:25 AM

5. Exit

Hey man. I use Shortcutme. I can confirm that you can set it up to toggle bluetooth on and off, and wifi on and off as well. Its quite handy.

08-11-09 03:29 AM
    QuickLaunch currently has Wifi On/off.

Also, this week it will be updated to have bluetooth toggle along with some other new goodies.
    08-11-09 04:21 AM
    I tried ShortCutMe, but I couldn't get the BT toggle to work. It seemed to just be a macro type thing that launched into Option, picked the wrong thing (probably because I have items in the options that are in addition to the normal list), and did something else other than a BT toggle. Again, I like the concept, but the execution of the concept didn't work for me. Went back to QL. It's a personal preference. I wonder why these QL vs. SCM threads keep popping up.
    08-11-09 04:24 AM
    Thanks for all the responses, specifically CheetahAce to let me know that an update is coming. I will probably wait for it before I purchase QL.

Applejosh: this specific QL vs. SCM thread was started to specifically address the BlueTooth & WiFi toggle on/off - not really a general comparison.
    08-11-09 08:09 AM
    To the OP: you can assign the "manage connections" to the left/right convenience key. By doing so you can access manage connection in just one click and toggle wifi/bluetooth whenever you want.

08-11-09 01:11 PM
    As the originator of this thread, will you two do us all a favor and stop bickering within this forum... I'd like to stick to addressing the original question.

aslak: Thanks for your response, but you will have to ultimately admit that your post is pretty much a copy + paste from some other post that addresses ShortcutMe's advantages and QL's failures instead of specifically addressing my orignal question. I'm not asking you to come right out and say "okay you got me, I'm affiliated with ShortcutMe" but don't make it so damn obvious.

CheetahAce & fabuloso: Any logical person who reads the post would 95% surely arrive at your conclusion that aslak is a supporter/affiliated with ShortcutMe... geezes, I simply looked at the length of his post and I could tell it was a copy + paste job, not one directed at my original question. No need to beat it out of him.
    Was away and just saw the posts here.

Your post had title ShortcutMe Vs QuickLaunch title and in addition you asked about BT toggling. I pretty much addressed that by coping my own post to answer your concerns.

Your post was not about who is affiliated with what. I don't know who makes it the damn subject every single time!
    But it is usually brought up when someone mentions that they like ShortcutMe or when someone mention features in ShortcutMe that QL doesn't have.
    08-16-09 07:54 PM
    I tried ShortCutMe, but I couldn't get the BT toggle to work. It seemed to just be a macro type thing that launched into Option, picked the wrong thing (probably because I have items in the options that are in addition to the normal list), and did something else other than a BT toggle. Again, I like the concept, but the execution of the concept didn't work for me. Went back to QL. It's a personal preference. I wonder why these QL vs. SCM threads keep popping up.
    You need to set proper parameters for your BT toggle shortcut in ShortcutMe.
    If you do so, it works perfectly well every single time.
    08-16-09 08:07 PM
    I would say that I use QuickLaunch 2 to 3 times more than any other app on my bb. So, excepting the direct BT issue, which looks like will be resolved soon, personally I think QL is about the most useful app out there. Having said that, I am also a big fan of an app that hasn't been mentioned, Intellilaunch. I just place it 2nd on my QL menu to access everything I need that I haven't conveniently placed on QL's menu. Point being, don't be afraid to mix and match the launch apps to make accessing anything on your bb easiest for you.

Last edited by abu4321; 08-17-09 at 01:22 AM.
    08-17-09 01:19 AM
    I would say that I use QuickLaunch 2 to 3 times more than any other app on my bb. So, excepting the direct BT issue, which looks like will be resolved soon, personally I think QL is about the most useful app out there
    +1

Its the first prog to get set up on my BB everytime. Question though, everyone talks about trackball scrolling blah blah blah, am I the only one who only uses the side keys to navigate QL?
    08-17-09 01:36 AM
169 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD