Good to know that it works.

BTW, the new Show can be used to check if a correct item is highlighted before NavClick/ENTERKey macro is executed:

NavMoveDown2;
    Show Is the 'xx' item highlighted;
    NavClick;

On a second thought for LaunchAndWait macro (launches an app and wait for it to come to foreground), what if the app can't be launched?
    Should the Wait-Loop automatically exit after 2 seconds or so, stopping the macro?
    Loving the way Show works now (shows on top of foreground app)

And yes, the LaunchAndWait should have an auto exit timer, with error message if possible "$$FailedAppName could not be launched after 2 seconds. Try an alternative launch method." Or something like that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 10:39 PM
    Does WaitTil use a lot of cpu cycles? I'm assuming it's a shorter version of the while loop, but still basically the same. Lets say I launch app, and want to wait before it closes to do something (could be 5 seconds, 5 minutes, or 5 hours) i'm assuming this would use a lot of resources?
    10-19-11 12:19 AM
    Does WaitTil use a lot of cpu cycles? I'm assuming it's a shorter version of the while loop, but still basically the same. Lets say I launch app, and want to wait before it closes to do something (could be 5 seconds, 5 minutes, or 5 hours) i'm assuming this would use a lot of resources?
    Its just a preset while loop and it does depends on delays.

Setting a simple while loop just doing a delay1 pushes up cpu usage between 20~40%, mostly 25% on average, and memory usage continues rising going over 13MB of RAM in around a minute and a half, until the OS does a garbage collection (OS freezes for about half a second with the clock) and throws down SCM RAM usage down to 900KB~1MB, then it starts rising again up to 13MB.

A while loop with just a delay100, has a cpu usage of around 5-15%, mostly 8% on average, memory consumption rises slowly, peaking at most ~3.5MB in about one minute and a half and then it gets garbage collected (or self garbage collected? As it doesn't freeze the OS at all), throwing it down to around 700KB.

Small delays in while loops should not be used in proceedures that require a lot of time, otherwise it becomes RAM and a bit CPU intensive for the OS. It should only be used for short usage, like waiting for an app to launch and such. To wait for an app to close or waiting for something that needs more time, a delay of 1s should suffice and shouldn't produce more than 3% cpu usage with little RAM.

This is on a 9810. I believe it will create more impact in older devices.

Last edited by gbsn; 10-19-11 at 01:54 AM.
    Vijik and TomCanuck like this.
    10-19-11 01:44 AM
    As gbsn wrote, Delay1 (1 mSec) is using a lot of CPU time and memory space.

Delay macro, in general, puts SCM (and the macro engine) in standby/wait mode, letting the CPU running its other tasks instead of running the SCM.

For delays as long as minutes and hours, just set the delay to a proper high value.
    You should also be able to have a while loop with variable delays: For example set the delay for the first loop to 30000 (5 minutes), and then, for loops after that, set the delay to 1000 (1 second).
    10-19-11 06:43 AM
    The fuction "!=" mean different?
    I can't use it for if anh while. Why?
    (Sorry My english not good)

hmmm actually I think it might be somewhat broken. Or I'm using it wrong. I used this as a test

Set $test1=3;
    If0 $test1 != 4;
    Then0;
    Show test1 does not equal 4 it equals $test1;
    Else0;
    Show according to the macro $test1 equals 4;
    EndIf0;

And it uses Else0. However it's working fine for string matches.

Launch Messages;
    Delay500;
    If0 GetForeground != Messages;
    Then0;
    Show Foreground is not Messages;
    Else0;
    Show foreground is messages;
    endIf0;

That works fine... Will have to see what someone else says heh.

Also, I tested using ShortcutMe_Touch 5.9.2.2_OS7_T on 9900/7.0.0.440
    I'm too. When I use "==" in my macros, It run, but not with "!="

Moved this over here from the macro thread...

Edit: tested with ShortcutMe 5.6.2.1 on 8330/5.0.0.438 with same results.
    Last edited by Juggalo20; 10-19-11 at 09:47 AM. Reason: updated cuz i tested on my 8330 also
    10-19-11 08:58 AM
    Do we have the ability to trigger macros based on Events and/or Contexts?

Such is the functionality in an android app called Tasker:

http :// tasker.dinglisch. net/index.html (remove spaces to see link)

Read through some of what the features of this app are - it could open up a lot of new things to do w/ Shortcutme, for example:

you could have a Calendar event that fires off a popup reminder (built in to blackberry) - and extend this to fire off a shortcutme macro would automatically send an email or sms to attendees to remind them of the event.

Currently I do not see anyway to accomplish this.

Thanks,
    John
    10-19-11 10:37 AM
    Do we have the ability to trigger macros based on Events and/or Contexts?

Such is the functionality in an android app called Tasker:

http :// tasker.dinglisch. net/index.html (remove spaces to see link)

Read through some of what the features of this app are - it could open up a lot of new things to do w/ Shortcutme, for example:

you could have a Calendar event that fires off a popup reminder (built in to blackberry) - and extend this to fire off a shortcutme macro would automatically send an email or sms to attendees to remind them of the event.

Currently I do not see anyway to accomplish this.

Thanks,
    John
    Nope, can't trigger off calendar events or stuff like that.
    10-19-11 10:46 AM
    @Fyjpm,
    Since 2 weeks ago, I am working on an app that hopefully will do that and much more.

Still not release ready.
    10-19-11 10:52 AM
    @Fyjpm,
    Since 2 weeks ago, I am working on an app that hopefully will do that and much more.

Still not release ready.
    ilu Vijik <3 :$
    Haha ;D
    10-19-11 10:54 AM
    @Fyjpm,

Still not release ready.
    Vijik,

I've read every single post on this forum regarding ShortcutMe (I've only just bought the app yesterday morning) and from what I've seen I have no doubt that whatever you come up with will be incredible and will be received w/ accolades from the community. I don't think I've ever seen another developer on *any* mobile platform with as much dedication to their products and to the people using it as you! Kudos!

I spent years as a BB addict and then later with Android (not so much w/ iPhone), but I always felt blackberry was best in terms of productivity, messaging, and notifications (even to this day). However, when I was using Android I really came to appreciate the extensibility of it. My 2 favorite 'apps' (they were more like development platforms) were "Tasker" and "Locale". If you aren't familiar w/ what they can do (I'm sure you are), please look them up to give you ideas for your new product.

Good luck!

-John (aka fyjpm)

P.S. Once I get proficient w/ ShortcutMe, I'll probably want to help beta your new product
    Vijik likes this.
    10-19-11 04:44 PM
    ShortcutMe 5.9.2.3 is on the beta link (at this time only for 9900, 9930, 9810, 9850 and 9860).

(This is the version I made yesterday morning, few hours before getting sick and staying in the bed. So it doesn't have all the additions/fixes I had plan to add).

New in 5.9.2.3 comparing to 5.9.2.2:

- 'Input' macro accepts 1 or 2 parameters:
    Input $var1; (Shows a semi-transparent popup screen with the text: "Enter value for $var1")
    Input $var1 ,What is your year of birth?; (Shows a semi-transparent popup screen with the text: "What is your year of birth?". No mention of the $var1)

- '!=" bug should be removed now.
    TomCanuck and anon(4113192) like this.
    10-20-11 11:43 AM
    ShortcutMe 5.9.2.3 is on the beta link (at this time only for 9900, 9930, 9810, 9850 and 9860).

(This is the version I made yesterday morning, few hours before getting sick and staying in the bed. So it doesn't have all the additions/fixes I had plan to add).

New in 5.9.2.3 comparing to 5.9.2.2:

Input $var1; (Shows a semi-transparent popup screen with the text: "Enter value for $var1")
    Input $var1 ,What is your year of birth?; (Shows a semi-transparent popup screen with the text: "What is your year of birth?". No mention of the $var1)

- '!=" bug should be removed now.
    Confirming both. That semi transparent input screen looks really nice man, and being able to set text for it rocks.
    Also, the != fix for integers (3!=4) is yay. Thanks

10-20-11 06:13 PM
    Tested with ShortcutMe_Touch 5.9.2.1 on 9900/7.0.0.440 and FileLauncher works fine for me. :/

App Name: FileLauncher
    Parameter: SDCard/BlackBerry/pictures/ScreenShot_Oct_17__22_54_14.jpg

App Name: FileLauncher:
    Parameter: SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Media Sync/Castro The Savage/Army Of Darkness/01 - Castro The Savage - Army Of Darkness (Album Version).mp3

both of those worked for me. :/ what version of SCM are you using?

Update #1
    also works for me on ShortcutMe_Touch 5.9.2.2 (beta)
    Sorry, I was under the impression that FileLauncher was for launching the Files app. Should have checked the parameters button to figure that out. Well your usage of FileLauncher should help me convert some of the QL items over to SCM...
    10-20-11 06:17 PM
    Sorry, I was under the impression that FileLauncher was for launching the Files app. Should have checked the parameters button to figure that out. Well your usage of FileLauncher should help me convert some of the QL items over to SCM...
    Launch Files App
    LaunchMediaExplorer;
    Delay100; suggested by Juggalo20 for greater stability
    MenuItemFromTop3;
    MENUKey;
    SpKeye;
    NavClick;
    there's how to launch the Files app. and yes, currently it's the best way to do it, as Files it's self is not launchable (that i've found, and lordy knows i've tried).
    dimm0k likes this.
    10-20-11 06:29 PM
    there's how to launch the Files app. and yes, currently it's the best way to do it, as Files it's self is not launchable (that i've found, and lordy knows i've tried).
    Can QL launch the native Files app? I haven't been able to find any developers who found a workaround for it. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out a way myself.

You can LaunchFiles; if Files is already open, which kind of defeats the purpose
    10-20-11 07:47 PM
    New in 5.9.2.3

Wow Vijik, wow. Transparencies, cleaner text, and a lateral button layout. You just made ShortcutMe sexier.

If there's any plans on making the general SCM launch screen look like this, the advertising screenshots will look gorgeous. Love it.
    Last edited by ONE618; 10-20-11 at 07:59 PM.
    10-20-11 07:52 PM
    Can QL launch the native Files app? I haven't been able to find any developers who found a workaround for it. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out a way myself.

You can LaunchFiles; if Files is already open, which kind of defeats the purpose
    Kind of, what you do in QuickLaunch is actually launch a folder inside of QuickLaunch (hold the menu key and you see QuickLaunch is the actual app in use, not Files.) It looks pretty much identical to the Files app though. You must at least choose Device or SDcard though, or any subfolder within.

yeah that's right, i own a license to QuickLaunch lol. bought it long before i found ShortcutMe.
    10-20-11 07:57 PM
    Kind of, what you do in QuickLaunch is actually launch a folder inside of QuickLaunch (hold the menu key and you see QuickLaunch is the actual app in use, not Files.) It looks pretty much identical to the Files app though. You must at least choose Device or SDcard though, or any subfolder within.

yeah that's right, i own a license to QuickLaunch lol. bought it long before i found ShortcutMe.
    SCM may be a feature giant compared to QL, but that's kinda smart, cudos.
    10-20-11 08:02 PM
    SCM may be a feature giant compared QL, but that's kinda smart.
    wouldnt work for macros though i dont think. running macros on SCM it's self is a no no. i ran into problems with MemoPad_New in the ShortcutMe Functions. which doesnt launch MemoPad, it just uses some API to make a new memo from within SCM.
    10-20-11 08:05 PM
    wouldnt work for macros though i dont think. running macros on SCM it's self is a no no. i ran into problems with MemoPad_New in the ShortcutMe Functions. which doesnt launch MemoPad, it just uses some API to make a new memo from within SCM.
    Do you know if the api can be applied to something like the input/show screen?
    Writing a memo inside the new input dialog box would look b@d@ss

You can sometimes run macros inside of SCM, if you have MediaKeyBooster.
    10-20-11 08:11 PM
    Do you know if the api can be applied to something like the input/show screen?
    Writing a memo inside the new input dialog box would look b@d@ss

You can sometimes run macros inside of SCM, if you have MediaKeyBooster.
    I'm tinkering with SCM now to see if i can get a memo written using input, but either way it would have to open MemoPad and type it all out for you. I really know nothing of APIs though, i know what gbsn told me when i reported troubles i was having heh. my takeaway from it was "dont run macros on built in scm functions, potentially troublemaking" lol
    10-20-11 08:16 PM
    I'm tinkering with SCM now to see if i can get a memo written using input, but either way it would have to open MemoPad and type it all out for you. I really know nothing of APIs though, i know what gbsn told me when i reported troubles i was having heh. my takeaway from it was "dont run macros on built in scm functions, potentially troublemaking" lol
    I know it's possible using QB, which visually functions similarly, but it's probably not easily developed. If QB similar features were offered in SCM, man, paid in-app add-on.
    10-20-11 08:23 PM
    I know it's possible using QB, which visually functions similarly, but it's probably not easily developed. If QB similar features were offered in SCM, man, paid in-app add-on.
    Not sure what QB is, but I would guess it could be accomplished with a SCMExtras update.. maybe?

put the MemoPad_New API inside of SCMExtras, use SCM to get the Input$var and then dump it into SCMExtras to write the memo, then get SCM to run whatever macros afterwards. Eliminating the need to use the API from within SCM, which i would assume eliminates the potentially problematic macro issue.

I'm just guessing and assuming wildly here though lol... i really have no basis to go on
    10-20-11 08:29 PM
    haha, sad .... i already own that also, just stopped using it after i bought BerryPopup :/ which i've also stopped using :| damn me and my impulse buying.

but yeah, that should totally be doable from within SCMExtras with an update. I of course have no idea how SCMExtras really works, but i would hope having that in SCMExtras would allow us to still macro without the potential problems of it being in SCM it's self.
    10-20-11 08:39 PM
    I tried to add MsgBox macro as it was discussed earlier on this thread but then found out that the APIs are not that rich to show one and the same text in different formats, colors, etc.

So, I ended up working more on 'Input' and Show macro to make them to do part of what we had in mind for MsgBox.

Good to know that you like the new look.
    10-20-11 09:00 PM
712 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD