The goal of this thread is to help differentiate the two apps and pose configuration questions.

INTERFACE: the two have different UIs in that Shangmail pushes the mail to the native blackberry "Messages". In contrast, the Gmail app contains its own UI.

PUSH MECHANISM: both offer push to their respective destinations. Any comments on which is faster would be appreciated. A single test showed it took 3 minutes for the message to be pushed through Shangmail. A subsequent test indicates 1 minute. If shangmail is polling this on a periodic basis, then this is a random process on the interval between 0 and the sampling period. Comments are welcome regarding this topic.

Is there any way to configure (either app) to minimize the time between message receipt at Google and notification on the 8350i?

Other Configuration Questions
    I suspect that there is a means to configure the notification (sound \ LED) of the native blackberry "Messages". I was hoping the "Message" would go red when a new message is received.
    10-04-09 04:47 PM
    I don't know about Shangmail, but the Gmail app polls about every 20 minutes. It is possible to to set notification to emit a tone, vibration, and led blink. There is no way that I know of to shorten the polling time.
    10-04-09 06:53 PM
    WORKS REALLY GOOD AND IT is been very stable for me I am on boost and it works better than shangmail but it is not native. Here is a link it is FREE funambol dot com
    10-04-09 06:58 PM
    WORKS REALLY GOOD AND IT is been very stable for me I am on boost and it works better than shangmail but it is not native. Here is a link it is FREE funambol dot com
    Funambol has changed. It is now a 90 day demo.
    10-04-09 08:19 PM
    I have been searching and googling and I found this. I've had my Boostberry 8350i for a week now and I LOVE IT! I only got this because of the radio and I can talk to all my relatives in MX who have Nextel Radio

However, I opened an account with gmail, I saw the application already in my BB and I can't set the notifications. I edited all my profiles to the appropriate tone when I get gmail and I have tested it and nothing. I go on line and there are my messages, I go to check my phone and unless I do a refresh, nothing comes thru. HELP!

Also, correct me if I am wrong, the only way to get Yahoo forwarded to my Gmail is by paying yahoo plus right?
    04-14-10 01:24 PM
    OK.... notification was finally receive 4 hours later. Is this the norm?

If I want to write an email from my BB, can I do it right from contacts or it won't link it to gmail? Meaning, must I go to gmail application to write an email?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, the only way to get Yahoo forwarded to my Gmail is by paying yahoo plus right?

Thanx in advance!
    04-14-10 01:44 PM
    Funambol has changed. It is now a 90 day demo.
    if you signed up for funambol before december 2009 the 90 day trial does not apply
    06-10-10 11:25 AM
    Ok I have both shangmail and the gmail app. The main reason for this is because I ca attach files through shangmail.
    Other than attaching files I don't use shangmail. With shangmail I cannot open certain attachments and doesn't seem to push emails much faster than I receive them through gmail. One other thing I don't like about shangmail: when I send an email the address sent to recipient is my phone number. I figured since I binded the 2 accounts it would send my gmail address. Not the case, if there is something I'm doing wrong please tell.
    Mini rant

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by crump84; 06-15-10 at 04:05 PM.
    06-15-10 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD