One, it isn't RAM, it would more be a ROM,

there is an application that allows you to Run apps off of SD Cards as long as you have the free space in the device memory,
    ***deRussett mentioned that there is an app that lets you run blackberry apps off the SD card. What is the name of the app, maybe a link to it, and does it work well?

I have a Blackberry Bold and have around 20 apps on my blackberry other than those that are pre-installed (only 6 are games), and with all my e-mail, contacts, and calendar entries, that only leaves me with 16 MB to play with. That gets eaten up very easily. There are many other apps I would like to install but cannot. Blackberry needs to do somethng about memory space for apps to compete. Figuring out a way to store apps (or data for apps like Beiks Dictionaries) on the micro-SD card is essentail. The apps do not need to run from the SD card. They can be stored on the card and downloaded into the device memory when used. I think this is how Palm used to do it.
    07-10-09 10:39 AM
    when the microsd card is as fast as the onboard storage
    07-10-09 01:36 PM
    For those of you listing reasons why they haven't done it: speed, security, etc., I have to ask. Why should it not at least be an option?

If you find it slows down your apps to a perceptible amount, then you could just stick with the onboard storage. To not have even the option, however, completely baffles me.

I must agree that while some say 256 is plenty of memory for applications, the fact remains that the cost of flash memory is so negligible that having only 256 MB in this day and age is completely unreasonable. Especially with apps limited to internal only, that limitation is a huge disadvantage.

Though most applications are relatively small now, I believe that is because developers are held back due to these limitations in place. Imagine trying to install a 15 MB application on the 8830. That would basically be the only app you could run. However, if the limitations weren't so great, I think we'd see a lot more development, and a lot more useful and full featured applications start to appear.

My $0.025 cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 01:54 PM
    And this is my point as well , you have more room , but who cares ??? your never going to fill it
    You know, they said the same thing about the IBM PC with it's huge 10MB hard drive. That's just way too much space for someone to fill!

Nowodays, there are apps that take up much more room than that - just one app.

Take a look at some of the new apps coming out for Blackberry. Slacker is 2MB+, Facebook is now over 800K, Garmin is over 1MB, and many other apps are 600K-2MB. Most of these aren't extremely graphic-intensive, either. Heck, even RIM's App World is a memory hog.

It would not surprise me to see more graphic-based applications come out in the near future. With those, you would want to keep a good amount of memory available for running applications, while still needing space for storing them. Many people with Curves and Pearls have to watch how much memory they use - on my 8830, I have to watch memory daily.

Granted, newer models are coming out with more memory, but to say that one will never fill up that memory is being as niave is IBM was with the PC.
    07-10-09 02:36 PM
    You know, they said the same thing about the IBM PC with it's huge 10MB hard drive. That's just way too much space for someone to fill!

Nowodays, there are apps that take up much more room than that - just one app.

Take a look at some of the new apps coming out for Blackberry. Slacker is 2MB+, Facebook is now over 800K, Garmin is over 1MB, and many other apps are 600K-2MB. Most of these aren't extremely graphic-intensive, either. Heck, even RIM's App World is a memory hog.

It would not surprise me to see more graphic-based applications come out in the near future. With those, you would want to keep a good amount of memory available for running applications, while still needing space for storing them. Many people with Curves and Pearls have to watch how much memory they use - on my 8830, I have to watch memory daily.

Granted, newer models are coming out with more memory, but to say that one will never fill up that memory is being as niave is IBM was with the PC.

Kind of like why SMS is limited to 160 characters...the creator decided that was enough
    07-10-09 02:57 PM
    O don't get me started on the 160 character thing. Ga! I hat that, I end up having to send like 3 or 4 messages sometimes and split them up. Maybe that's my fault for being long-winded, though. :P

07-10-09 03:01 PM
    I like it being separate. When I first got my Storm, I had both the onboard 1GB and the 8GB card get corupted. I formated both, and only had to restore my media. Apps, settings, etc were intact. Yeah, I can restore apps and settings from backup, but I do not backup daily. 128MB has been fine so far. I can also swap cards without losing my apps. That is the biggest thing for me.
    07-10-09 03:37 PM
    Again though, it's the option thing. If you find it inconvenient to store apps on the card, then use the onboard memory, but you should still have the option of expandable storage.

07-10-09 03:40 PM
    O don't get me started on the 160 character thing. Ga! I hat that, I end up having to send like 3 or 4 messages sometimes and split them up. Maybe that's my fault for being long-winded, though. :P

if you need like 4 separate (160 character) texts just to get your point to the person, why not just call them? Or email them? The blackberry has seamless email.

The 160 character limit on texts was part of the design. Because people only texted to get simple points across or say something small etc...

Nowadays, you have people carrying on long text conversations for like 10 minutes at a time, when they can just call them Or send an email.
    07-10-09 03:47 PM
    A couple reasons I disagree with you: first, I'm not always in a place where I can call, either that or they may not be. Second, only one of my friends has a smartphone, and his isn't push email anyway, so SMS is quicker.

07-10-09 03:52 PM
    A couple reasons I disagree with you: first, I'm not always in a place where I can call, either that or they may not be. Second, only one of my friends has a smartphone, and his isn't push email anyway, so SMS is quicker.

But that's exactly the reason then no? That you may find yourself in a position where calling isn't comfortable or you are not allowed to email. So they developed a simple 160 character text system to allow you to keep brief communication until you are allowed to call or email if need be?

If they developed a 1000 character text system soon, you know that the carriers will definitely start charging more.

I've never usually needed to text more than 160 characters in the 6 years I have had a cellphone. If need be, I did send multiple texts if it was a large message. Otherwise I usually just call, or go home and use MSN/Email etc...
    07-10-09 11:45 PM
    Eh, valid points, but I still think you should have the option like in other phones to keep typing, and just let it split it into separate messages for you. And no, I'm not paying $10 for Beyond160.

07-10-09 11:58 PM
    if you need like 4 separate (160 character) texts just to get your point to the person, why not just call them? Or email them? The blackberry has seamless email.

The 160 character limit on texts was part of the design. Because people only texted to get simple points across or say something small etc...

Nowadays, you have people carrying on long text conversations for like 10 minutes at a time, when they can just call them Or send an email.
    That's exactly what i thought when I read that. 4 texts?! Why not just call!
    But the reality is they text because they're at work, school, talking to someone else while texting, or texting 5 people at once.

I really don't like text messaging. It's nice when you just have a quick question or something. But when you're sitting there for a hour texting back and forth... I'm only 24 but I guess I'm old fashion. I'd rather hear someone's voice than read the BBMillbank of what they're saying. I just 2 weeks ago got unlimited text messages when my mom signed our whole family plan up for it because her friends kept texting here. I previously had 500 and only went over once, usually I would be under 200.
    Last edited by doomedromance; 07-11-09 at 01:11 AM. Reason: formatting and junk
    07-11-09 01:08 AM
    My thing is that my storm always drops below 10mb real quick after a reboot from 37mb with only 2 apps running at the most. I think thats a problem.
    07-11-09 01:28 AM
    Yeah. This would be nice.
    I had a complete NES arcade on my Motorola Q. Haha.
    Probably about 50+ games that were all on the card.

I hope RIM allows a stock way to do this in the near future.
    07-11-09 02:27 AM
    Yeah. This would be nice.
    I had a complete NES arcade on my Motorola Q. Haha.
    Probably about 50+ games that were all on the card.

I hope RIM allows a stock way to do this in the near future.
    Oh can you use that even though the phone isn't in use? I can use my Q just as an NES emulator haha.
    07-11-09 02:36 AM
    Oh can you use that even though the phone isn't in use? I can use my Q just as an NES emulator haha.
    Haha, of course you can!
    It's addicting, I know.
    Something I'm going to miss once I go over to the Tour!
    07-11-09 02:38 AM
    Haha, of course you can!
    It's addicting, I know.
    Something I'm going to miss once I go over to the Tour!
    Could you maybe PM me with directions as to where you aquired this said emulator?
    07-11-09 02:41 AM
    Could you maybe PM me with directions as to where you aquired this said emulator?
    Oh! I assumed you already had it!
    Expect a PM shortly.
    07-11-09 02:47 AM
    Oh! I assumed you already had it!
    Expect a PM shortly.
    Thanks!
    Nah, I knew about apps for my phone but I never really bothered with them, I think all I ever installed was Kevtris but that was deleted during one of the many times I had to reset my whole phone to get the sound to work again.
    07-11-09 02:57 AM
    I'm sorry but the 160 limitation is absolutely absurd. There are plenty of situations where phone calls are out of the question and texting is the only way to convey your message at that point in time. Any person who types with remotely any speed on their BB can easily fill 160 in a message in under a minute. There is no such limitation on email (well there is a high cap) and shouldn't be any on texts, and paying 5 bucks for functionality that should be there is absurd. I mean BB is supposed to
    E the elite in mobile communications right?

07-11-09 03:23 AM
    I'm sorry but the 160 limitation is absolutely absurd. There are plenty of situations where phone calls are out of the question and texting is the only way to convey your message at that point in time. Any person who types with remotely any speed on their BB can easily fill 160 in a message in under a minute. There is no such limitation on email (well there is a high cap) and shouldn't be any on texts, and paying 5 bucks for functionality that should be there is absurd. I mean BB is supposed to
    E the elite in mobile communications right?

Yes but then the phone sort of circumvents said limitation by allowing you to write upto 6 (160 character) texts at once. If you have an unlimited text plan, the problem is solved, but it depends on the carrier because it will seem like 6 separate texts etc...

I don't know about you guys, but the only situation where I know calling is out for me, is also one where I shouldn't be texting (i.e. in a meeting or at a lecture etc...)
    07-11-09 04:38 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD