I cannot find a scuba dive log application for the blackberry, so I said, why not write one myself. I don't know if I am getting myself into too much, but I figured others would be interested after I am done. Therefore, I will take suggestions... I can't guarantee that I will implement everything, but I would be willing to try. Here are my thoughts so far on the flow:

There will be two main pages, "Log Input" and "Statistics". The log input will have input for basic dive information (date, max depth, time, temp, etc.). The statistics page will have basic statistics (cumulative dive time, max depth, longest dive, etc.).

When user information is entered for a dive, and they submit the data, it will append everything to a txt file that will save to the SD card. I think it will need to save there for accessibility by the user, but I can take other ideas. The data for each dive will then only be accessible by copying the file off of the SD card. The statistics information will be saved to nonvolatile memory in the BlackBerry for easy access, but will also save to a txt file for record keeping.

Are there any other folks interested? Also, would people be willing to pay a small fee for the application (~$2 or so), just to offset some of my time working on this?

Hopefully it won't take me too long to have something. I have been searching around for apps for this to no avail, so I hope that I can make something that others would have been looking for as I have...
    09-07-09 08:25 PM
    I don't know about this. I usually log info right after a dive and still a little wet. Also, some dive locations that requires log check will probably not accept a printout version.
    09-07-09 10:22 PM
    I think it may be good as a back up to have with you when chatting with friends, but as you stated below I fill out my log right after my dive then have my book signed or stamped/signed to verify the dives.

I don't know about this. I usually log info right after a dive and still a little wet. Also, some dive locations that requires log check will probably not accept a printout version.
    09-07-09 11:06 PM
    That'd be awesome!

I use Reef log for Palm right now, and my buddy uses one for his iPhone (not sure which one). We use our paper logs as our primary - but I do find it useful on the Palm - gives instant calculations and sometimes previous info on the dive site. If your app could be backed-up to the computer - so that the logs could be printed - that'd be great to.

I haven't had much concern with getting my log signed, as I mostly dive with my buddy, so can get it signed anytime - but I agree - it'd be a problem on a dive with people you just met from other cities.

Great idea - I've been looking for one.
    09-24-09 07:48 AM
    I am interested. I am a newbie on the BB too and I cannot find a dive log app for it. I have been a long time Palm user..... and I have used ruizlog on it. Like you I was going to write one for myself, but i'm just too busy right now with work. If you want to write the app, you have my support.

[
    12-04-09 02:00 AM
    I think a scuba dive log app would be great.

however, I am not so sure about the usability of an app like this. I mean.....when your under water, you really don't want to bring your phone with you. And it would be hard to press the keys......
    03-16-11 08:07 AM
    I think it would be a great idea. It is original which is better than 95 % of the crap sold on mobihand!
    03-17-11 04:22 PM
    Great idea! I just need to get scuba certified now
    If you already know java, it probably won't be too hard to learn to write an app like this. If you don't, you probably are getting in over your head
    03-17-11 11:58 PM
    Did anything ever come of this ap? I would love something that would help keep a centralized record of certifications, dive history, etc.
    01-21-12 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD